Ramon Allones Allones Extra Edicion Limitada 2011 SUB SEP 11 (VVL)

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

The Allones Extra is a beautiful cigar - the wrapper is a bright chestnut brown with a light, even sheen. The veins are very fine, and there's a subtle velvety tooth to it. All in a classic corona gorda vitola to boot. The construction feels light and spongey, and there isn't much of a cold aroma to speak of, just a bit of faint generic sweetness. The foot, however, smells of nuts and fresh cut pine. It lights well, igniting quickly, then produces a tidy gray ash and a draw that's more open than is typical for a Habanos, but not underfilled by any means. 

IMG_20190512_202926.thumb.jpg.e5dc316d7f9113fcb006859d0cd14f3e.jpg

The opening draws are rounded and well-balanced, without any hint of lingering youth. The initial flavors move through the toasted realm: toasted bread, malt, and baking spice. A retrohale shows some rich, savory twang. 

By the second third, the baking spice note has taken on some depth and character and begun to present more like the stewed fruit that I recognize as the RA DNA. The aroma, however, has become the real treat. It's rich and full of white pepper, savory twang, and a leather aspect. That alone is worth the price of admission here. 

The performance of the Allones Extra has been exemplary. Thankfully, I haven't encountered a single aspect of what I generally dislike about ELs - no thick, fireproof wrapper, no clashing chocolate notes. 

By the final third, as the burn moves past the secondary band, the profile has evolved to showcase its most basic elements: dark, stewed fruit and a rich spice that calls to mind spiced cider. The last two inches begin to acquire some heat. That turns out to be the final composition of the Allones Extra, as I put it down with about an inch remaining. At the end, this is a very good cigar. It lacks any of the major pitfalls of other ELs, but also misses out on some of the unique aspects that are typical of the program. I wouldn't hesitate at all to light up another Allones Extra, but I'm not sure that I could say definitively that this is better than a comparably aged Superiores. 

Another solid review, thanks. I have enjoyed your reviews in store as well and found them to be informative. Keep them coming. Real nice photo, that wrapper is gorgeous.