preachers and sneakers

well lord spare me because i never thought, in a million sundays, i'd ever read something like this. or post it. but the entire concept is beyond belief. well, to me, at least. 

first, that anyone would bother with such a site. next, that it gets a squillion hits and followers or whatever the terminology is, but next, that anyone would wear $5K sneakers (yes, i am sure that there are even more expensive ones).

but most of all, preachers? in $5K sneakers? not since i saw that ghoul of nuns (yes, that is the correct collective noun) at madrid airport all piling into business class (bugger those pesky poor) have i been quite as speechless. 

do you ever feel that you've ended up in this world by mistake? 

People’s Forgiving Reaction To A Pastor Caught Wearing $5,000 Sneakers Proves Fashion Is The Great Redeemer

“Virgil Mary strikes again.”

•  

The Instagram account ‘PreachersNSneakers’ began as a sassy takedown of priests with a penchant for expensive kicks. Revelling in the perceived hypocrisy (and the number of Yeezy’s) in American houses of worship, the account quickly racked up hundreds of comments and thousands of followers (including celebrities like John Mayer).

At the beginning of April, Highsnobiety, a streetwear blog, wrote, “Preachersnsneakers has only been active for two weeks but has already gained more than 60,000 followers at the time of writing.”

Just a few weeks later, it now sits at 151k followers. And despite the founder previously having to (temporarily) de-activate the account due to backlash, things are slowly taking a turn for the better as sneaker-lovers of all denominations unite over a common cause, coming to the high-top flaunting priests’ defence.

In an impressive display of empathy, many Instagram commenters, despite seeing the opening for a snarky, “Pass the collection plate… daddy needs a new pair of shoes,” jab (yes, we’ll admit there were a few of those too), demonstrated compassion for the caught-out Christians.

While some of these comments came from Christians themselves (see: I LOVE Pastor Mike!! He openly admits he has a sneaker addiction too), others came from secular citizens who felt sartorial solidarity with (and admiration for) the publically shamed preachers.

“He rocks them tho.”

Others suggested that it was highly unlikely the sneakers were bought with the Church’s money: “He has personal businesses that he runs outside of also working for the church which is how he affords them.”

“Their money, their business.”

And other’s argued that it’s none of the public’s business what these guys spend their own money on: “You all seem really concerned about the less fortunate. How about you give up all your money and leave these pastors alone.”

“This page exposes nothing but the truth about YOU. I spend thousands of dollars a year on sneakers but spend way more in church.”

“Just want to say Levi’s sermons are some of the best combinations of gospel, storytelling and practicality. Please listen to his stuff before you judge,” another commenter added.

“Why throw shade on successful believers? Just bc they’re pastors they can’t have money?”

“What if they weren’t pastors and just business guys?” yet another asked. “Still throw shade or be HAPPY that we have examples of successful believers? That following Christ isn’t miserable and you can live… life, more abundantly.”

“Virgil Mary strikes again…”

And finally, another commenter concurred with the New York Times, calling for only he who is without Yeezy’s to cast the first stone: “We can’t cast our own convictions on other people, we must run in our own lane.”

The New York Times also posed the question: maybe this kind of branding, if it attracts younger churchgoers, is not as much of a waste of money as it seems.

That said: the ‘optics’ around preachers wearing super-expensive sneakers is undeniably bad, with many salty comments pouring in along the lines of, “Thinking about dropping my MBA program and enrolling in Bible college… it might pay better.”

“I see all of you judging these pastors, but none of you have walked a mile in their shoes…”

As well as others, which threw the preachers’ own words back at them, like, “Don’t store up treasures here on earth,” and, “Just because God is blessing someone else doesn’t mean he has forgotten your situation.”

Ouch.

People also pointed out that even if the luxury shoes were gifts (as some pastors have claimed), wearing them still contradicts the core Christian message.

“So, the whole ‘it was gifted to me’ thing. Why not say, ‘Thank you so much, but I can’t accept this gift. Please give these shoes to the homeless man over there with no shoes. I already have shoes on my feet.’”

As you can see by the harsh nature of PreachersNsneakers’ early posts, this was the view the account creator originally subscribed to. However, as he recently revealed in an Instagram story Q&A, after speaking directly with some of the preachers he posted about, he—like many of his audience—has become more understanding.

When asked, “What is your opinion on sneakers worth above 1k?”, the anonymous account creator said, “I would never actually wear kicks worth 1k, but I can see how if they were a gift, peeps would want to rock.”

Still, “Worth considering the optics though,” he added, explaining that he has had “great convos” with some pastors and “one way” talks with others.

There are many questions this trend has brought up, but the one constant is this: you don’t have to be irreligious to be a hypebeast. And who knows—optics and squandered money aside—in its own way it has brought sneaker lovers of all denominations together.

No offence to anyone intended, but in my experience, I never saw pastors as anything more than a leader in a Christian group. And if the pastor running the community food shop a few warehouses down from me is an example, I don't think very much of them. That guy thinks, because he does "God's work", he is free to do whatever he pleases, no matter if he abuses all common courtesies, swears when he doesn't get his way with his neighbours, or breaks all the rules of the complex. That dude definitely doesn't practice what he preaches.

Just now, Fuzz said:

No offence to anyone intended, but in my experience, I never saw pastors as anything more than a leader in a Christian group. And if the pastor running the community food shop a few warehouses down from me is an example, I don't think very much of them. That guy thinks, because he does "God's work", he is free to do whatever he pleases, no matter if he abuses all common courtesies, swears when he doesn't get his way with his neighbours, or breaks all the rules of the complex. That dude definitely doesn't practice what he preaches.

fuzz, i'd suggest that just as in every profession, there are good people and bad. the good in this group do (and i am divorcing this from the religious side of things) some extremely good and necessary work. the less good can be appalling. i think i have pointed out that my first experience with a catholic priest was when i was about 16 or so, cricket match against nudgee (one of our catholic schools up here) and i hooked a ball (i was the opener). got a bottom edge and it went down onto my toe. square leg on the boundary appealed. no one else. that bastard had his finger up faster than a catholic priest... (you can imagine). never trusted them since. 

but seriously, for many years, bad members of any religious order got away with what they wanted because they were protected and hidden (disgracefully and if any church was serious about abuse, those collaborating should have been rooted out and handed over to the authorities and the passage of time should not change that) and that of course meant they were encouraged to commit more offences and i suspect encouraged others to join in, believing themselves bulletproof. as things have slowly changed, the focus on their acts has tainted entire churches, often unfairly. 

a mate of mine (he was expelled from school, drank, smoke, stole, had no luck with women despite best efforts, excellent rugby player) got the calling when we at uni. came from a very wealthy home. gave up everything and has been assisting the poor and disadvantaged in the most remote parts of africa ever since. to think he gets tarred with the same brush as the paedophiles and abusers and those that protected him is truly appalling. but i have got slightly off topic. 

Let's take religion out of the equation. Why would anyone choose to spend 5k on a pair of sneakers? This is abnormal behavior at best. 

2 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Let's take religion out of the equation. Why would anyone choose to spend 5k on a pair of sneakers? This is abnormal behavior at best. 

Because it is too difficult to make a long lasting pair of sandals out of $5000 in notes?

image.jpeg.41785828763306fd43553091abca5c5f.jpeg

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, akpreacher said:

Interesting set of opinions, if religion wasn’t a frowned on topic of discussion here I would post my own thoughts on the subject!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, thankfully it is entirely about footwear and has nothing to do with religion. 

13 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Because it is too difficult to make a long lasting pair of sandals out of $5000 in notes?

image.jpeg.41785828763306fd43553091abca5c5f.jpeg

Excellent example of orthopedic origami. ?

47 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

5k sneakers are pretty silly. But are they sillier than what everyone is showing off in the watch thread? Sillier than the going price for 10 count double banded Ramon Allones Petit Robustos boxes that pop up on the recent purchases thread?

I'd say they are sillier than watches. Watches are complex, precision instruments, made from a variety of different (and often expensive) materials. I doubt any of those $5k sneakers are made from anything unusual, or require a high level of skill to make.

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

fuzz, i'd suggest that just as in every profession, there are good people and bad. the good in this group do (and i am divorcing this from the religious side of things) some extremely good and necessary work.

I tend to agree. I also believe religious leaders should be held to a higher standard(the one they preach)...can't really divorce it from the religious side as it plays a huge part. This coming from a guy that reads the most popular religious book every day and tries to live his life by it.

I will say this, however, it is possible some were gifted to the pastors and I don't believe they should have to reject the gift as suggested in the article but that would get into an actual religious discussion which I won't get into.?

6 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I'd say they are sillier than watches. Watches are complex, precision instruments, made from a variety of different (and often expensive) materials. I doubt any of those $5k sneakers are made from anything unusual, or require a high level of skill to make.

Still don't tell time any better than a $10 Casio or have any features I can't get for free on my smart phone. In fact, you can get away without owning a watch, but owing a pair of shoes and wearing them occasionally is a necessity in modern society. Watches are really sillier if you think about what is necessary to survive.

Nevermind that the price tags being used for these sneakers aren't msrp (closer to $160-$300), but whatever the secondary market thought the 'new in box' version would be worth on the particular day some Instagram poster decided to post. That tells you nothing about what the pastor might have paid for them, just what he might have been able to sell them for on a particular day *if* they were completely unworn, which they obviously aren't.

If someone wants to pay $5K for shoes, $15K for a jacket, $150K for a watch, $250K for a humidor full of cigars or 10 million for a car then I have no problem with it. If they have it, they can do what they like. Hopefully they also do some good with their money.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Islandboy said:

If I was going to spend 5K on shoes it would be on a couple of pair from John Lobb in London... Not sneakers... those should be $100 at the most...

20 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

yes, thankfully it is entirely about footwear and has nothing to do with religion. 

Ken, I assume your premise has to do with the classic expectation of church and associated staff being not for profit.

That premise has always been optimistic at best...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Ken, I assume your premise has to do with the classic expectation of church and associated staff being not for profit.

That premise has always been optimistic at best...

under no illusions re that. not strictly but more in a general sense at least. if the church has no money then it can't do anything, good or otherwise. no issue with that side of things. not sure how it is elsewhere but in australia, a lot of catholic churches (and others) are built on the tops of hills. they were no fools, knowing that, even in those early days but eye on the long term, they were ideal spots for real estate values to increase. good luck to them. 

aside also from the general premise of a world gone mad, if there are even such a thing as $5K sneakers, though my nephews are keen on such things, and as someone said, these things could be gifts, although who gives another person shoes? but where does a preacher get that sort of dosh to spend on sneakers? have to wonder. quite possibly totally legit and good for him if so, but if i am giving to a church and see the preacher/vicar/priest whatever in $5K sneakers, i'm thinking perhaps my dosh is not going where i'd like it to go. 

saw a doco on PBS the other day about antarctica, and they were talking about and interviewing tourists to the place. they were interviewing an english vicar and his wife who were talking about the trip and going there for a week. the one they were on apparently cost $20,000 per head, not including airfare to the kick off spot and so on. in other words, the vicar has come up with at least $45,000 after tax for a week or two's holidays. might be totally legit but if i was putting my dosh in the collection bowl passed around at that church, i'd be having a serious rethink. that may well say more about me than them but on the face of it, the best you can say is it is not a good look.

personally, while i acknowledge there are plenty of good people involved, and i mentioned my friend above, but for me, anyone involved with religion/churches etc begins on a level alongside of drug dealers and politicians. mind you, they have more potential to work up from there. 

anyway, that is a long and convoluted response. 

while i acknowledge there are plenty of good people involved, and i mentioned my friend above, but for me, anyone involved with religion/churches etc begins on a level alongside of drug dealers and politicians. mind you, they have more potential to work up from there. 
anyway, that is a long and convoluted response. 

Well at least I know where I stand in your perspective

3 minutes ago, akpreacher said:

Well at least I know where I stand in your perspective

are you a politician?

more seriously, it is of course a general comment and being on this site gives you a big headstart. i know everyone will have different perspectives but i've seen too much from too many not to start there. 

are you a politician?
more seriously, it is of course a general comment and being on this site gives you a big headstart. i know everyone will have different perspectives but i've seen too much from too many not to start there. 

I’m a Pastor and have been for the past 10 years. I personally know hundreds of Pastors, preachers and evangelists. Based on my extensive experience and knowledge in the field I would have to say that you probably have no real insight into what you are talking about and should not be taken seriously concerning your input into the subject.

2 minutes ago, akpreacher said:

I’m a Pastor and have been for the past 10 years. I personally know hundreds of Pastors, preachers and evangelists. Based on my extensive experience and knowledge in the field I would have to say that you probably have no real insight into what you are talking about and should not be taken seriously concerning your input into the subject.

I know one pastor and he is a terrific person. 

I know several priests, including my own (ex) parish priest. They currently  are ...or have... served time at his majesty's pleasure. 

We forget here that ...excuse the pun....religion is a broad church. Our experience is primarily local and that means the traditional majors. 

• Like 1