Whynter CWC351-DD

Good Morning everyone,

First post here, really excited to be a part of the community. My wife and I are contemplating purchasing the Whynter Wine/Cigar Cooler Humidor. I have a growing collection of cigars and plan on adding more. Does anyone have any reviews of this and tips if we do purchase to getting this set up?

Thanks!

917VhtbYBVL__SY741_.jpg

• Like 2

I got this model last year and it’s worked out great. However, certain boxes are a struggle to get in this because how narrow each side is. For example, my Monte 1’s have to be placed perfectly between the bump outs that hold shelves. If I were to buy again, and didn’t have space limitation in the house, I’d probably buy stand alone Cigar Cooler and Wine Fridge units. That said, I have 330+ cigars currently in there and have noticed a big improvement with the taste of my cigars since going to this unit. 99b7449b599750a9b2b3d684813fc97b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 83Nation said:

I got this model last year and it’s worked out great. However, certain boxes are a struggle to get in this because how narrow each side is. For example, my Monte 1’s have to be placed perfectly between the bump outs that hold shelves. If I were to buy again, and didn’t have space limitation in the house, I’d probably buy stand alone Cigar Cooler and Wine Fridge units. That said, I have 330+ cigars currently in there and have noticed a big improvement with the taste of my cigars since going to this unit. 99b7449b599750a9b2b3d684813fc97b.jpg

Thanks so much! How did you season this, and what do you recommend for humidity control?

Thanks so much! How did you season this, and what do you recommend for humidity control?

I used distilled water to season and for humidification. I struggled with Boveda packs for about 6 months, and didn’t want to spend $40/12 pack every 3 months to keep the humidity levels above 60. This summer I am going to try some other methods because I can’t help myself from always having to tinker with things...

1 minute ago, 83Nation said:

I used distilled water to season and for humidification. I struggled with Boveda packs for about 6 months, and didn’t want to spend $40/12 pack every 3 months to keep the humidity levels above 60. This summer I am going to try some other methods because I can’t help myself from always having to tinker with things...

I'm like you as well, always something to do.

For seasoning, just wipe down cedar shelves with distilled water and leave cup of distilled water in the humidor correct? Did you have to repeat this step a few times? Also, would a cigar oasis be a good idea for this size of a humidor?

1 hour ago, 83Nation said:

I struggled with Boveda packs for about 6 months, and didn’t want to spend $40/12 pack every 3 months to keep the humidity levels above 60. 

Have you dabbled with recharging them?  I used to take dried out hard as a rock boveda and soak them in distilled water.  DONT DO THIS.  Maybe it's just marketing but when they get dry the crystals can damage the membrane.

Now I use a combo of both boveda and heartfelt beads.  When the rh gets too low I swap them out and have a Tupperware with a cup of distilled water in it.  Let the boveda or beads sit in there sealed for a few weeks and they plump back up.  No soaking, just slow recharging.

I do the same thing when it gets too wet, cycle out some dryer 62 packs, place the wet ones in my dry Tupperware with desicant beads to absorb the moisture.  When the desicant needs to be dried out (they change color when too wet) I pop it in my dehydrator or oven to recharge their drynrss.

Yes this requires a stash of back up and some maintenance but I dont have to rely on disposable packs.

You didn't ask but in case you wanted to know my success, thought I'd share.

• Like 1

I have the smaller 2.5cf unit cuz no wine collection. Think 2 of these give me more storage for cigars.

I use just beads - My units came with container to put them in.

Recommend two things:

1- get remote Rh/Temp sensors like what Boveda or Sensorpush offer (don't trust Fridge temp meter)

2 - GET EXTENDED WARRANTY

All I got

Best regards

Bux

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

It was on the bottom.  But for a couple hundred dollars and calling itself a cigar humidor I would think they would have had all those bugs worked out and you could put cigars any place

It's a symptom that TE unit is failing. I had that happen too. Strange thing is the Rh in unit would fall. I replaced mine and new + other units don't have that issue. But I still would NOT put cigars on bottom because of possible condensation.

Also why I said to OP get extended warranty

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Been a contributor to this topic many times. Love the wine fridge coolidor system approach 5 stars!

First one was a Liebherr $$$$ tall one and is gorgeous. But second and third are short, nice Frigidaire inexpensive but quality ones. Maybe $450 each? They line up and look so good!

My point is, think of these as vessels to hold the expensive product. Not an expensive thing to hold the whatever?

Cheers,

CB

On 4/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, Bucky McSwensen said:

Have you dabbled with recharging them?  I used to take dried out hard as a rock boveda and soak them in distilled water.  DONT DO THIS.  Maybe it's just marketing but when they get dry the crystals can damage the membrane.

Now I use a combo of both boveda and heartfelt beads.  When the rh gets too low I swap them out and have a Tupperware with a cup of distilled water in it.  Let the boveda or beads sit in there sealed for a few weeks and they plump back up.  No soaking, just slow recharging.

I do the same thing when it gets too wet, cycle out some dryer 62 packs, place the wet ones in my dry Tupperware with desicant beads to absorb the moisture.  When the desicant needs to be dried out (they change color when too wet) I pop it in my dehydrator or oven to recharge their drynrss.

Yes this requires a stash of back up and some maintenance but I dont have to rely on disposable packs.

You didn't ask but in case you wanted to know my success, thought I'd share.

Excellent advice.  I actually use a kitchen "breader bowl" -- you can put your DW in the bottom and set the boveda on the rack above, seal it up and wait for 'em to plump back up.  If I set it on the window ledge when it's sunny out, seems to take a few less days.

501284466_ScreenShot2019-04-12at11_44_27PM.thumb.png.68e1385ce64de464f3bb79a1001010a3.png

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, Wertman said:

It was on the bottom.  But for a couple hundred dollars and calling itself a cigar humidor I would think they would have had all those bugs worked out and you could put cigars any place

What were you using for humidification?  I know this can be a problem if one is not using 2-way humidification.  Unlike a wooden humidor, extra humidity has no where to go and condensation can easily occur when the temperature difference between the inside and the out of the unit is too great.