Hoyo de Monterrey no aftertaste?

I’m smoking a HdM DC right now and I’ve noticed this with Epicure Especial and Epi #2 as well but it seems like the HdM blend has none of that burnt aftertaste that so many other cigars do. I feel like I could have somebody smell my breath right now and they might not know I had just smoked a cigar. Despite this lack of pungent residual burnt tobacco flavor the blends are super rich in flavor. Makes me wonder how the blend accomplishes this? Are there other vitolas across the marcas that have this characteristic as well?

46ED1823-A9F1-40AD-A242-8EE9EA59F999.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

All Cuban Double Coronas that I have tried even without aging have a clean&clear taste - I think this is a feature of the format

Could be the larger leaves used for double coronas are lighter in that sense? Now that you mention that I remember Partagas Lusis also being very clean 

I think it’s the larger % of Seco leaves. Even though I do taste a very nice finish to most Hoyos, I know what the OP means.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rabidraccoon said:

Also seems like Nicaraguan cigars are the opposite. I can taste a Padron aftertaste in my mouth for pretty much all of the following day

I started out smoking NCs and had the same experience. And everything just stunk of smoke—I could smell it on my clothes hours later and could still taste it on my breath. Transitioned to CCs and that went away. So I thought, “well, I’ve become one of those disgusting old men that reek like smoke and I can’t even smell the stink anymore.” But I recently had a few NCs again and the stink is back. So who knows?...I’m not desperate enough to ask people to smell my breath yet....

• Like 2

I never realized that the RyJ and Esplendido were that close in size to the HdM DC. Also never realized that the lusitanias are in fact the exact same size. I feel like the HdM DC band (which is my favorite out of all CC’s) has a visual effect of making the cigar look absolutely massive vs the smaller regular ones they wrap around the larger vitolas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bpm32 said:

I started out smoking NCs and had the same experience. And everything just stunk of smoke—I could smell it on my clothes hours later and could still taste it on my breath. Transitioned to CCs and that went away. So I thought, “well, I’ve become one of those disgusting old men that reek like smoke and I can’t even smell the stink anymore.” But I recently had a few NCs again and the stink is back. So who knows?...I’m not desperate enough to ask people to smell my breath yet....

I still smoke NC’s and enjoy them (Flor de las Antillas maduro especially) but I avoid them if I have a bunch of face to face meetings or interactions with people the next day

6 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Hoyo DC, Lusi, Punch DC, Don Alejandro, RA Gigantes - I enjoyed all

Also chirchills is similar format...

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?/topic/136600-2016-Regular-Production-Double-Coronas-and-Churchills

Love Hoyo DC and Lusi. I have some Don Alejandro and Gigantes that I’ll try next. Punch DC seems to be hard to find but if I see some for sale I will grab them.

I second this experience, although my wife would argue differently, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hutch said:

I think it’s the larger % of Seco leaves. Even though I do taste a very nice finish to most Hoyos, I know what the OP means.

Interesting. This could certainly be the case. Next time I am in Little Havana I will ask some former Habanos folks about the composition of this vitola.

I feel like I could have somebody smell my breath right now and they might not know I had just smoked a cigar.
46ED1823-A9F1-40AD-A242-8EE9EA59F999.thumb.jpeg.0cfeb91ece0403803f7b4b752085df44.jpeg

HAAAAAA!!!

That’s funny!! Try that test on any woman. I would buy Hoyos and smoke them exclusively if this were true!!
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

HAAAAAA!!!

That’s funny!! Try that test on any woman. I would buy Hoyos and smoke them exclusively if this were true!!

Haha yeah I mean it's probably still detectable. I guess it's more that my mouth feels clean and I don't get that bitter/acrid burnt aftertaste.