Can we talk? About beetles.

2 hours ago, KarlJ said:

It appears to be universally accepted that freezing is the fool proof method of prevention. 
So what negative impact is perceived by people who chose not to freeze?  I guess I don’t do it because I think it’s gonna hurt the integrity and taste of the cigars.  Am I wrong?

Well, it’s definitely not going to hurt anything. After all, practically every manufacturer freezes their cigars before they ship them out. So all the cigars you buy have been frozen before. 

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cuban divans/stores are full of beetles.  Habanos can freeze as much as they like. The minute those boxes enter the stores/divans, they are open to re-infestation.  Freeze everything from Cu

I believe that virtually every cigar has beetle eggs somewhere in the tobacco leaves within it. But not all beetle eggs are viable, and assuming the cigars are treated appropriately (frozen) all eggs

Cuba does not use pesticides so it is quite likely there would be eggs. Cuba does freeze all stock regardless of if it is meant for export or local sales. However humidors in the shops or elsewhere in

4 hours ago, Greenwillie said:

Does anyone know how long the eggs can stay dormant?

I recall reading a thread (on here), that freezing for 72 hours kills all beetles and eggs. Sorry I haven’t been able to find that source. Of course, that does not preclude a re-introduction of beetles after removal from deep freeze.

Here’s the crux of the post that I thought was definitive— 

21 hours ago, MossybackR said:

I recall reading a thread (on here), that freezing for 72 hours kills all beetles and eggs.

Well…poor recollection. My takeaway from Table 1 is that freezing at -10 C for 24 hours kills ALL forms of beetle life stages.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Did anyone see/does anyone remember the poll RE: freezing from 24:24? I personally haven't been, and don't recall every opening my freezerdor and having reason to panic. My mind can be changed, of course.