Murphy's Law: Latest Victim

I have never had a problem with AutoZone/o’Rielleys/Advance Auto parts not being to spec. I just did my wife’s Infiniti G37s. I had no idea it had the Z350 Brembo brakes, but the guy at Autozone made sure I got the right pads and rotors. Perfect fit. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Changing the oil.

I've done it a hundred times on various cars and trucks if I've done it once.

What's it take- 15 or 20 minutes? 

Why should a Toyota Tundra be any different?

Other than the splash guard that fell on my head, scattering dirt and dust in my eyes, it would be a simple task.

Well, as long as you don't count the underestimated head pressure of the oil pouring out of the drain pain due to the 8 quart capacity (I was thinking it was a more standard 5 quart capacity).  It came out so hard it splashed the right front tire- there really wasn't any way to position the drain pan in a way to prevent the first quart from missing its target.

Now to change the filter- I'm going to one-up Murphy.  I bought the ratcheted tool to unscrew the oil filter housing.  Internal oil filter.  I'd like to give the genius who came up with this idea a swift kick in the ass.  But simple- unscrew the housing, replace the filter, bada bing, bada boom.

What's this plastic thing packaged with the oil filter?  It looks cheap.  I don't need it.  Okay, now to unscrew the housing.  No problem.  There appears to be just the filter itself that needs to be unscrewed.  Annnnnd there's the last quart of oil coming down all over me.  But at least it washed off the dust and dirt that got on my face earlier.  That cheap piece of plastic was apparently used to drain that hidden quart.  Wiped everything down, screwed filter and housing back in place.  Spent the next 30 minutes trying to realign the splash guard.  

Total time spent- 2 hours.  To change the oil.  I was embarrassed, angry, and defeated.  All because I wanted to save a few bucks.

New cars just aren't as DIY friendly as the older ones.

• Like 3

Changing the oil.
I've done it a hundred times on various cars and trucks if I've done it once.
What's it take- 15 or 20 minutes? 
Why should a Toyota Tundra be any different?
Other than the splash guard that fell on my head, scattering dirt and dust in my eyes, it would be a simple task.
Well, as long as you don't count the underestimated head pressure of the oil pouring out of the drain pain due to the 8 quart capacity (I was thinking it was a more standard 5 quart capacity).  It came out so hard it splashed the right front tire- there really wasn't any way to position the drain pan in a way to prevent the first quart from missing its target.
Now to change the filter- I'm going to one-up Murphy.  I bought the ratcheted tool to unscrew the oil filter housing.  Internal oil filter.  I'd like to give the genius who came up with this idea a swift kick in the ass.  But simple- unscrew the housing, replace the filter, bada bing, bada boom.
What's this plastic thing packaged with the oil filter?  It looks cheap.  I don't need it.  Okay, now to unscrew the housing.  No problem.  There appears to be just the filter itself that needs to be unscrewed.  Annnnnd there's the last quart of oil coming down all over me.  But at least it washed off the dust and dirt that got on my face earlier.  That cheap piece of plastic was apparently used to drain that hidden quart.  Wiped everything down, screwed filter and housing back in place.  Spent the next 30 minutes trying to realign the splash guard.  
Total time spent- 2 hours.  To change the oil.  I was embarrassed, angry, and defeated.  All because I wanted to save a few bucks.
New cars just aren't as DIY friendly as the older ones.
My last truck, 2000 f250, took 14 quarts of oil. The filter was fatter and taller than a Pringles can...

I figured I'd have a fresh set of breaks up front within an hour. Now I need to shop around for thinner pads or order OEM from a dealer. Yes, the ones I'm trying to put on are the correct ones according to the manufacturer. I've found some old posts online that say some people have gone through the same exact problem. The issue is the truck I have comes in 2wd, 4wd, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and multiple trim packages that all, somehow, affect the style of pads used for the rotors it takes. Apparently the thickness of the pads was over looked in R&D...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

I feel Murphy is the type of A hole that hits everyone, every once in a while. Today was my turn. Share your story if you have one, I'm sure there are better ones than mine today.

My truck needed new brake pads. The guy at the shop said they were bad. I refused the offer of $120 because it's something I've done a million times, on other vehicles...

The first strike was relatively harmless. I couldn't find any of my tools for the job. Jack, no where to be found. Jack stands, probably hiding with the jack. I can only guess when we moved they ended up in the wrong pile. That, or they are hidden somewhere only to be found when we move again.

So I go out today and buy those items. Start the process and everything is going smoothly. I get the tire off, the caliper apart, the old pads off. They still have over 1/8" of pad, so I'm thinking the guy at the shop was just fishing for more money. Then, Murphy comes knocking again.

These new pads are so thick, they can't physically fit over the rotor and be installed with this spacer/shim that is designed to go between the caliper and the mounting bracket. For 4 hours I prodded, poked, shifted, hammered and cursed thinking I just wasn't doing something right to get these new pads on correctly.

Well after all the struggle I had to put the old pads on and put everything back the way it was. This truck is my daily driver and I can't leave it apart wondering why over night. A little Google searching and I find that some aftermarket brake pads are made thicker than what some caliper designs can tolerate. In this case I either have to grind down the perfectly new pair of pads or look for an alternative brand and see if they are thinner.

I just finished this mess of a project, that ended up right where I started minus 5 hours of my time. Decided a Wicked Weed pernicious, Angels Envy Cask Strength, and a VR ER Andorra would help me unwind... What a day...

Some pictures of the new setup not working, the other wheel still intact, and the difference in thickness of the new vs old. 721a32ab16897ce2dbe6bbf95cf5905c.jpg62cf0317f7dbf19717a965702984ace1.jpg73a7c16d132553c997ace313c25817ec.jpgd30d84fb8bdaef49cc3ddbad3cac816e.jpg

If u are talking about the  spacer sticking out past the caliper that's normal.with new pads...lube it with silicone brake lube and put it back in from the back

• Haha 1

If u are talking about the  spacer sticking out past the caliper that's normal.with new pads...lube it with silicone brake lube and put it back in from the back
I'll double check, but I'm almost certain that it can not go into that hole from the back. It has a lip that prevents that from happening.

34 minutes ago, prodigy said:

I'll double check, but I'm almost certain that it can not go into that hole from the back. It has a lip that prevents that from happening.

There is no lip....have done hundreds of this style as a licensed dealer tech. Clean up spacers and head of bolts too with fine sandpaper. They are supposed to move freely as caliper slides on them. 

It took me a few times to get the brake pads done right. Ive done it on multiple cars and its not always the same. I always use the old brake pads to push against to give me the space needed for the new ones. I buy from autozone and advanced all the time and have never had theirs not fit the cars. Thats a new one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prodigy said:

Looks like I have some cleaning and scraping to do lol. f314186834ee17133a1e08522800ee6d.jpg

Yes....there is an oring in there that the bushing moves on....should move reasonably easy

It's a 45$ part that should take very little time to install. Now factoring in all the time I spent messing around, it would have made sense to have them do it haha. Round 2 tonight. I'll update when I find out if this new strategy works.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but how was the cigar? Hope it was stellar given your woes. I've got one in my humidor gifted to me, not sure when I should light it up.
To me, it was a don Alejandro in a minuto format. Very tasty, shame when it ended.

• Thanks 1

There is no lip....have done hundreds of this style as a licensed dealer tech. Clean up spacers and head of bolts too with fine sandpaper. They are supposed to move freely as caliper slides on them. 
They were so dirty I couldn't even see the o ring. Just finished up, it was a breeze knowing exactly what to do. Thanks a million!!!!c61755ecf5eadd050f3bd5717f2b0bed.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhh that is very good to hear. I've only one box, but have yet to break into it..
I have one more, a much darker one. I'll probably age that one a few more years.

1 minute ago, prodigy said:

I have one more, a much darker one. I'll probably age that one a few more years.

I haven't looked at mine in about 8 months. I think they are right in between the lighter shade and darker shade. I'll try one at some point this year. They seem like they are still readily available, so that's why I haven't really thought about trying one. Maybe just no love for VR