The the holy grail of cigars, the holistic palate pleaser?

13 minutes ago, FatPete said:

I must admit I’d never heard of Umami before this post, let alone tasted it. I think my palate only had the sweet/sour/bitter/salty sensors. 

Ha... if you've tasted mushrooms, you've tasted Umami. 

16 minutes ago, FatPete said:

I must admit I’d never heard of Umami before this post, let alone tasted it. I think my palate only had the sweet/sour/bitter/salty sensors. 

2 minutes ago, 99call said:

Ha... if you've tasted mushrooms, you've tasted Umami. 

That's right.  You've more than likely tasted it, just not known how to differentiate it from the other sensations on the tongue.

I see were my confusion was and a little googling cleared things up In school this taste was taught as “savoury” not umami, and yes I can relate to it now-smoked meats, mushrooms etc. I had a La Fuerza recently that started out with those mushrooms.

• Thanks 1

So I’m smoking a NC right now – a La Aurora 100 Anõs in a custom vitola specifically rolled for a loca B&M.  Unfortunately, my sinuses are quite congested right now, so I’m really struggling to enjoy the flavors that I know this stick offers.  As I’m smoking it, I’m noticing the taste/sensation running across my palate, which very much feels like umami, covering about 80% of my tongue.  Thing is, I don’t recall ever associating this stick with any of the flavors that normally accompany umami.  It’s mostly nutty, woody, and creamy coffee.  Sometimes a little floral.  It usually starts off pretty peppery as well, but I think the time in the tupperdor has really mellowed that out.  

Is it possible to confuse umami with a really muted pepper sensation that washes over the palate?  Maybe I’m trying too hard to taste something that isn’t there?

This thread really has me focusing on taste, especially b/c I can’t detect much flavor right now  

Funny, I was telling my 6 Yr old son about how different areas of the tongue taste different things like salty sweet etc more than other areas and he totally schooled me, turns out that whole idea has been disproven completely, doesn't relate much to this thread except the image in the original post but yet another widely held belief that isn't true. 

Also umami to taste makes me think of quantum to physics. 

11 hours ago, Zigatoh said:

Funny, I was telling my 6 Yr old son about how different areas of the tongue taste different things like salty sweet etc more than other areas and he totally schooled me, turns out that whole idea has been disproven completely, doesn't relate much to this thread except the image in the original post but yet another widely held belief that isn't true. 

Also umami to taste makes me think of quantum to physics. 

I don't profess to know either way, but if it is BS, could you post the contrary explanation on this thread, as it would be really useful

2 hours ago, 99call said:

I don't profess to know either way, but if it is BS, could you post the contrary explanation on this thread, as it would be really useful

Google to the rescue, first link I found - 

https://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html

More detail here - 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171012-do-our-tongues-have-different-taste-zones

Just now, Zigatoh said:

cheers dude :2thumbs:

So in reading through these, it suggest any part of the tongue can sense any taste, but particular parts of the tongue are sensitve to specific tastes but only to a "minute" degree.

It appears the tongue map is still relevant, but only represents these "minute" percentages