STUPIDITY: Tourist In Australia Goes Viral Holding Blue-ringed Octopus That Can Kill Within Minutes


Recommended Posts

STUPIDITY: Tourist In Australia Goes Viral Holding Blue Ringed Octopus That Can Kill Within Minutes

Some people are just Stupid!

A tourist in Australia has gone viral after posting a video of themself holding a blue-ringed octopus. But it hasn’t gone viral just because the animal is beautiful. The blue-ringed octopus is one of the most venomous creatures in Australia and the unnamed tourist is lucky to be alive.

The chilling video, which appears to have been originally posted to TikTok, found its way to Reddit over the weekend where Australians started to point out just how dangerous it was to handle a blue-ringed octopus. Commenters shared their own stories about the animal, which reportedly carries enough venom to kill 26 full grown adults in a span of minutes.

The venom of the blue-ringed octopus, which contains the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin, causes paralysis and the sting is so small that most people have no idea that they’ve been poisoned until it’s too late.

To make things even more horrifying, there’s no anti-venom available for the blue-ringed octopus. The only known treatment is to massage the victim’s heart until the venom works its way throughout a person’s body in a matter of hours.

One person on Reddit even told the story of an unnamed victim who had been paralysed on the beach with their eyes open while facing the sun.

“They survived, but nobody had really thought about the fact they’d been staring up into full midday sunlight for a couple of hours throughout the process with their eyes wide open, pupils fully dilated,” the Redditer said. “Total paralysis, easy for the first-aiders to not think to cover their eyes. Caused irreversible damage. They permanently lost their vision.”

Australia gets a bad wrap for having dangerous animals, but most locals believe that the fear is overblown. It’s not overblown when it comes to the blue-ringed octopus though. If you see one in the water, let it be.

In the case of tourists who may not be aware something may or may not be dangerous, perhaps best they do some homework prior to visiting Australia.... ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, alloy said:

Darwin Award?

Unfortunately (or fortunately for this idiot I guess), they only award these posthumously.
Why oh why would you choose to handle one of the few creatures along with puffer fish with a venom several times more toxic than cyanide and for which there is no known antidote?
Ignorance surely?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I was taught that the blue-ringed octopus carries the world's deadliest poison.  Maybe not deadliest, as I'm sure there are not that may human encounters... but most toxic/potent maybe?

I get that some animals kill more people per year with less toxic venom, like the black mamba I think is the deadliest animal to humans, but its venom is not as potent as the Brown Snake...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent a long time in the reef tank hobby.  You can buy these online, have them shipped to your door and keep them in an aquarium in your living room.  I wouldn't recommend it but it's been done plenty of times.  They only live a year or 2 and they need a completely sealed tank or they will escape.  They aren't aggressive but I wouldn't go handling one for any reason.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Geaux said:

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I was taught that the blue-ringed octopus carries the world's deadliest poison.  Maybe not deadliest, as I'm sure there are not that may human encounters... but most toxic/potent maybe?

I get that some animals kill more people per year with less toxic venom, like the black mamba I think is the deadliest animal to humans, but its venom is not as potent as the Brown Snake...

Certainly not the deadliest - but, as said already, there is no antidote. If you survive the first 24 hours with airway management you will likely survive.
The most venomous snake in the world is the inland taipan. It is however timid, and almost never encountered, making the brown snake the most dangerous in Australia. The Black Mamba isn't even on the top-ten list as far as venom toxicity (the entire top 10 are in Australia) but is one of the most deadly snakes because it strikes hard, is super fast, and is aggressive and territorial.
Bang for buck, I have heard the most poisonous creature on the planet is the golden poison dart frog.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Whisky91 said:

That person is very very lucky. If I don’t know what I’m handling, I do not touch it. Buuuuttt, some people aren’t that bright and are the reason ambulances and emergency rooms exist.

Idiots also keep the population surplus in check ;) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Yes you can. You just have to let them do something fatal before they breed.

Darwin:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, MIKA27 said:

STUPIDITY: Tourist In Australia Goes Viral Holding Blue Ringed Octopus That Can Kill Within Minutes

Some people are just Stupid!

A tourist in Australia has gone viral after posting a video of themself holding a blue-ringed octopus. But it hasn’t gone viral just because the animal is beautiful. The blue-ringed octopus is one of the most venomous creatures in Australia and the unnamed tourist is lucky to be alive.

The chilling video, which appears to have been originally posted to TikTok, found its way to Reddit over the weekend where Australians started to point out just how dangerous it was to handle a blue-ringed octopus. Commenters shared their own stories about the animal, which reportedly carries enough venom to kill 26 full grown adults in a span of minutes.

The venom of the blue-ringed octopus, which contains the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin, causes paralysis and the sting is so small that most people have no idea that they’ve been poisoned until it’s too late.

To make things even more horrifying, there’s no anti-venom available for the blue-ringed octopus. The only known treatment is to massage the victim’s heart until the venom works its way throughout a person’s body in a matter of hours.

One person on Reddit even told the story of an unnamed victim who had been paralysed on the beach with their eyes open while facing the sun.

“They survived, but nobody had really thought about the fact they’d been staring up into full midday sunlight for a couple of hours throughout the process with their eyes wide open, pupils fully dilated,” the Redditer said. “Total paralysis, easy for the first-aiders to not think to cover their eyes. Caused irreversible damage. They permanently lost their vision.”

Australia gets a bad wrap for having dangerous animals, but most locals believe that the fear is overblown. It’s not overblown when it comes to the blue-ringed octopus though. If you see one in the water, let it be.

In the case of tourists who may not be aware something may or may not be dangerous, perhaps best they do some homework prior to visiting Australia.... ;) 

 

18268203_10211999447362167_4796493043416551711_n.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.