Plume/Mold Poll Update (2019)

Wanting to see if the FOH Mould Study shifted the popular opinion of the group!!  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted yes. I’ve had some cigars, especially tubos, that will have some dusting type of coating, likely light mold I just wipe off before lighting. 

But ive also seen something different, primarily in non tubos, that looks like oils that have secreted on the outside of the wrapper. Usually after a year or so in the original box in a coolidor. Is this plume, who knows?

21 minutes ago, crking3 said:

Why use the rum and not just a clean cloth? Also how does the rum not affect the wrapper ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiping it off only removes the mold you can see. It is still there and can continue to grow. Alcohol helps kill it. The alcohol evaporates very quickly. Using a towel moistened with rum does not "wet" the cigar significantly, and I have noticed zero flavor or smoking side effects. Cask strength or higher recommended to kill mold as well as evaporate quicker. Similar to common usage of a 1:1 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water to kill mold, but food grade/safe.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:28 AM, Brian24 said:

I voted yes. I’ve had some cigars, especially tubos, that will have some dusting type of coating, likely light mold I just wipe off before lighting. 

But ive also seen something different, primarily in non tubos, that looks like oils that have secreted on the outside of the wrapper. Usually after a year or so in the original box in a coolidor. Is this plume, who knows?

Sounds like mold to me. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Marc Andre, Germany's best-known humidor builder and cigar expert, also did a study with various laboratory tests. It starts on page 5. it should be easy to google translate.

https://www.mailing-power.de/14105/C_und_G_04_2022_end.pdf

It begins with:

,White, also green-yellow efflorescence on the surface of the cigar has already brought many a bead of sweat to the forehead of one or the other connoisseur. It is not uncommon for reports that an entire stock of affected cigars was disposed of – after all, the cigars were moldy and could no longer be smoked. Right - if it really was mold. In fact, this is very rarely the case.'...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Salomones said:

Marc Andre, Germany's best-known humidor builder and cigar expert, also did a study with various laboratory tests. It starts on page 5. it should be easy to google translate.

https://www.mailing-power.de/14105/C_und_G_04_2022_end.pdf

It begins with:

,White, also green-yellow efflorescence on the surface of the cigar has already brought many a bead of sweat to the forehead of one or the other connoisseur. It is not uncommon for reports that an entire stock of affected cigars was disposed of – after all, the cigars were moldy and could no longer be smoked. Right - if it really was mold. In fact, this is very rarely the case.'...

That was an interesting article.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1