A La Carte Review: Partagas Presidente

This was from the 2018 Xmas Sampler, and was naked as the day it was born (the band elves had been). I have been a good boy and waited a month for these sticks to acclimatise since shipping. This has been sitting at around 65F 63RH all that time, so should be ok.

And it was. My first go with this figurado shape, and I love it. Even lighting up is fun: chop off the pointiest end and spark the slightly less pointy one into a tiny ember. Then settle down for a ride. First very cool, mild smoke: unexpected. Then slowly building in volume and body, and in smoke production as the ring gauge increases. I’d say the DNA here is more Lusi than PD4: sweeter and richer rather than earthy spice. By the time I was at the fat part, I was very happy. And it is fun to hold: more elegant and much lighter than a conventional cigar of this size. Nice development: building depth and complexity. Good burn, with just a few touch ups despite smoking outside. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time to go all the way to the nub. But I’m definitely up for a box of these now.

DB7C2D87-2FA9-423E-AF03-3FE57BC09D84.thumb.jpeg.3e13211401277c3047f8117ca9214c95.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

I love Presidentes. Powerful, mongrel, coffee and spice - to me.

With the 8-9-8 becoming such a hard and pricy cigar to get, I think Presidentes and a cab of Shorts give you the essence of Partagas.

Hmm not sure if you've tried any recent Presidentes. But they've become light to mid bodied at best. (2018s anyway) I'd bought some boxes hoping for a bit of mongrel as you dicribed. But they seem the becoming the binary opposite. Super smooth and creamy. With quite a striking resemblance to Fonseca No 1s.   Very odd. But very nice

3 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

My most recent box is 2015. Interesting. 

Yep,. Hopefully the GOS run is a nice anomally, and the power returns.  I would describe the resent ones as Fonseca marshmallow meets a partagas fungal meatiness. Almost like a mushroomy peppercorn sauce.  In general I'd love to see some more genuinely full bodied CC.  To me R&J +JLP cazzies and 898s are the fullest out there. And even they are being massively toned down. 

10 minutes ago, 99call said:

Yep,. Hopefully the GOS run is a nice anomally, and the power returns.  I would describe the resent ones as Fonseca marshmallow meets a partagas fungal meatiness. Almost like a mushroomy peppercorn sauce.  In general I'd love to see some more genuinely full bodied CC.  To me R&J +JLP cazzies and 898s are the fullest out there. And even they are being massively toned down. 

Wow, other than some Bolivars and my 8-9-8s, not sure I have had a CC with as much nicotine punch as my 2015 Presidentes, which I always considered to be its calling card.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

Wow, other than some Bolivars and my 8-9-8s, not sure I have had a CC with as much nicotine punch as my 2015 Presidentes, which I always considered to be its calling card.

Sounds like I need to hunt some 2015 down

38 minutes ago, RDB said:

Mine was definitely no beast. Never had a Fonseca 1, but ‘sweet and fungal’ definitely rings true. A bit yeasty like fresh baked cake.

A great flavor profile - sorry for getting the thread off track

• 1 year later...

I've also noticed a pretty significant down tick in strength and a more mellow, be it creamy cigar. While that is nice by itself, it not why I started smoking these. I always expected more of a power and strength from these.