Cuba's New Constitution

So Cuba has drafted a new constitution, to be decided in a referendum soon.

A couple of interesting things.

Gay marriage nearly got a mention, but was dropped at the last minute, due to pressure from the various Christian churches now on the island and conservative Cubans. Although there is to be no specific mention of marriage having to be between an "man and a woman", which opens the door for future changes to legislation.

The government rolled back on banning non-government sanctioned and licensed artists. That would have been a big one.

They also rolled back on Cubans being limited to having one business and the number of seats a paladar can have, it was to be limited to 50.

What's interesting is that these changes were all made on the back of public protest and lobbying.

We don't often think of the Cuban government listening to the populace.

Also, ownership of private property is now codified in the constitution.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/19/cuba-removes-support-for-gay-marriage-in-new-constitution-after-protests

It looks like there are changes coming, however slowly, of course mobile data could well be a game-changer too.

Having said all that, Cubans are currently protesting bread and meat shortages, while the government is blaming the embargo and current US admin. (Please don't make this a US politics thread).

"Plus ça change.."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blaming the US for their problems? Sounds about right. Has nothing to do with their government and how they currently conduct business...

Real change needs to happen in Cuba before anything will improve for the people. It's a sad and depressing country, but has so much potential if they just made a few key changes. I hope that things improve sooner rather than later, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

.... US admin?

I know, but it is mentioned only in the context of the Cuban government's view of it, not any personal view or any member's opinion of it.

It is a matter of fact that the Cuban government blames the current US admin for the current situation.

It is a matter of opinion whether that is true or not, or right or wrong. And those bits we'll leave out.

I am sorry @Ryan but I don't take these news about "changes" serious anymore.

I tend to ignore them, not even apply the grain of salt - just ignore them.

I've been naive enough to think/believe that Cuba would change, evolve, implode, explode, develop - after almost 15 years visiting the island all I can say is that nothing has substantially changed over the years.
It has all become sadly worse over the years with only some cosmetic changes if you like.

Next time you're at Espacios enquire why the owner doesn't apply for a second licence for the beautiful cigar lounge that is sitting pretty ( and empty ) next door. He is afraid to lose his one licence ... even though he'd employ more staff if that opened. Scared of the gvt.

What can I'net use change when it costs more than a monthly salary to use it ?

The Cubans on the island are quite happy happy to get along anywhichway and do not intend to push for any change - that would be too risky. Let's blame the foreign devil while wait for a foreign power to solve the mess.

They are happy to have an "inverted pyramid" where the cab driver earns more a day than a doctor in a month.

The ones who are unhappy about it all have long left or are planning to leave.

Gay marriage sounds so liberal - more exciting and newsworthy than Cuba importing sugar from France or having only enough flour for the ration card bread provided to the citizens ....

https://www.14ymedio.com/sociedad/Cuba-solo-harina-pan-racionamiento_0_2562943685.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

I know, but it is mentioned only in the context of the Cuban government's view of it, not any personal view or any member's opinion of it.

It is a matter of fact that the Cuban government blames the current US admin for the current situation.

It is a matter of opinion whether that is true or not, or right or wrong. And those bits we'll leave out.

Yup - all fine, fully aware of that. .... comment was tongue-in-cheek in the light of current developments US-side. (and off I go, trying to avoid breaking forum rules....apols!  ;))

When asking our mid-20s tour guide about his or her thoughts on the Referendum, our guide said their vote would be No because it is rolling back too much and attempting to consolidate too much into party hands, but our guide was not optimistic that the status quo, disinterested, and older groups would do the same.