Next FOHrensics topic

Having completed the "wrapper water" test. We would like to do another FOHrensics vid next week. 

We have discussed experiments in a previous thread, but if you can think of an experiment that is easy to put together (from our perspective), let us know and we will see if we can get it done. :spotlight:

One I'd like to see because it's rarely if ever worked for me.  When you get a trailing edge or uneven burn at the foot folks always say to orient the end with the more unburnt edge toward the bottom so the more oxygenated air beneath it can cause it to burn a little quicker to even out the burn.  I've personally never been able to consistently replicate this.  I've oriented unevenly burning cigars that way, the complete opposite way, rotating the a quarter turn with each puff, and none of these ever really worked consistently.  The thing that's worked the most (for me) has been to not smoke too fast* and to touch it up with the lighter if it's gotten out of hand.

*I've also noticed that if I wait too long before resuscitating a cigar that it seems to, at times, cause an uneven burn.  My guess is that the foot has unevenly extinguished and subsequently burns unevenly after being drawn.  Of course, it could just be that it was going to develop an uneven burn regardless.  

• Like 1

One I'd like to see because it's rarely if ever worked for me.  When you get a trailing edge or uneven burn at the foot folks always say to orient the end with the more unburnt edge toward the bottom so the more oxygenated air beneath it can cause it to burn a little quicker to even out the burn.  I've personally never been able to consistently replicate this.  I've oriented unevenly burning cigars that way, the complete opposite way, rotating the a quarter turn with each puff, and none of these ever really worked consistently.  The thing that's worked the most (for me) has been to not smoke too fast* and to touch it up with the lighter if it's gotten out of hand.

*I've also noticed that if I wait too long before resuscitating a cigar that it seems to, at times, cause an uneven burn.  My guess is that the foot has unevenly extinguished and subsequently burns unevenly after being drawn.  Of course, it could just be that it was going to develop an uneven burn regardless.  

This.
Although there would be no guarantee that the cigars would burn unevenly. And as stated above, I’ve never consistently had good results with any method other than occasionally touching up the cigar once it gets too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly a humidity investigation? I know there was a vid when a dry boxed cigar was compared to one stored prooperly, but something comparing the same cigar stored at 70%, 65% and one stored at 60% or dry boxed (for example) could be interesting. You could look at taste and burn 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, El Presidente said:

need some clarification on this one. 

Apologies, I was in a hurry.  We've recently had some discussion on FOH about how much impact the flavor of the wrapper has on the cigar.  I think it would be cool to rewrap several cigars where the whole cigar is wrapper.  And then do the same thing with the binder, and then with the filler.  And then compare the three different cigars - which has the most flavor, and which flavors you get from each.  Rank which one was your favorite: original, all wrapper, all binder, all filler.  I would assume it would be the untouched cigar that was the best, but you know what they say about people who assume.  

This could be done with several different cigars: try it with a thicker gauged full body, and a skinny mild smoke.  

Example: take a box of E2.  Use just the wrappers to create a cigar that's similar in size to a normal E2 (this may take a bunch of wrappers.)  Smoke and take notes.  Repeat with filler, and binder.

Of course, the end result would be completely subjective but it might be interesting to see what the judges thought about smoking just the wrapper, binder, filler.