Traveling the Balkans

*When you mention the Balkins I'm thinking of your running into <this>...Yet I didn't know they carried such wonderful selections of Habanos there! 

MonsterBash2017new.jpg

bash04monsterandpaisley.jpg

On 9/23/2018 at 2:02 AM, cigcars said:

*When you mention the Balkins I'm thinking of your running into <this>...Yet I didn't know they carried such wonderful selections of Habanos there! 

MonsterBash2017new.jpg

bash04monsterandpaisley.jpg

In some parts that is a close representation actually.  HA

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:45 AM, Hookmaker said:

Great haul there. I was in Sofia in April and picked up a lot of Topes - but guess you didn't see those?

I didn't see them, but I wasn't necessarily looking for them.  I did ask what RE or LE and this was all she showed me.  Maybe they were gone.  I loved the city, and they had some decent smokes.  I call that successful!  

11 hours ago, shlomo said:

Careful with those 681 from those two shops. Have had beetle outbreaks in sticks from 681 boxes from those exact shops in the past.

Wow, good call.  I will separate them tonight when I get home.  Thanks for the heads up!  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 10:39 AM, nealnyc said:

Just returned from 12 days in the Balkans.  Started in Bulgaria and traveled through Macedonia, Albania, coast of Montenegro and finished in Dubrovnik.  I do love the Balkans - great food, great people, and great smoking laws.

I went to the LCDH in Sofia (inside the Intercontinental Hotel).  Decent selection, not great.  I picked up the last couple of Bolivar 681 RE Bulgaria they had.  Also picked up a couple of Ramon Allones Terra Magica Adriatico release 2016.  They had some really aged Monte Open, but I will leave those for someone else.

Also visited the LCDH in Tirana, Albania.  This is inside what used to be the Sheraton, now the MAK Albania Hotel.  They had two boxes brand new of the Bolivar 681 regional edition for Bulgaria 2011.  I grabbed a couple of Romeo Capuletos EL 2016.  They had half a box left.  As for regular stock they didn't have anything great.

IMG-0964JPG.jpg

IMG-1086JPG.jpg

IMG-0963JPG.jpg

rsz_img-1259.jpg

IMG-1228JPG.jpg

IMG-1243JPG.jpg

Nice pictures! And beautiful looking smokes, everyone seems to dislike the Monte open, are they that bad? I saw some at lcdh  in playa del Carmen Mexico, glad I passed on them. 

I have spent time in Skopje Macedonia, up to Pristina, Uroshevak and Gjlan. I always wanted to visit the Adriatic region. Beautiful scenery with mountains and some of the blackest earth I have seen, coming from someone brought up on southern clay. I took a liking to Skopsko Beer a nice Pilsner. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't into Cuban cigars.

You had to go to Plovdiv in Bulgaria:) my home town. It has so much more history than Sofia and beutiful places to go. I also have couple boxes of the 681 and really loved them. Enjoy

7 hours ago, Str8BlkCoffee said:

I have spent time in Skopje Macedonia, up to Pristina, Uroshevak and Gjlan. I always wanted to visit the Adriatic region. Beautiful scenery with mountains and some of the blackest earth I have seen, coming from someone brought up on southern clay. I took a liking to Skopsko Beer a nice Pilsner. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't into Cuban cigars.

I visited most of those places courtesy of Uncle Sam as part of the Kosovo security forces.  Our Camp (Montieth) was located in Gjilan.  We had R&R in Greece and Sofia during our time there and that is where I first started smoking Habanos.  Pretty country, I have to imagine it's a bit more stable than when I was there.  

On 2/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, Homer said:

Any good cigar shops in Montenegro? I am going there at may.

I spend a fair bit of time in Porto Montenegro in Tivat every summer for work and always bring my own cigars. There is a small cigar shop a few roads back from the public dock in town but I never bothered shopping there. Nothing in Kotor or Budva either.

Not sure about the capital Podgorica, haven’t made it there yet. But there is a LCDH in Dubrovnik, way out of the centre on Lapad Beach. It’s a small Casa but last summer I still got loads of ER Adriatico there. If you’re in the area or got a rental car it’s worth a visit.

Unfortunately I won’t be in Montenegro before June or even July.

Have fun! Leif