Cuba Plane crash

Leased Mexican B-737 flying HAV to Holguin - Cubana fleet is grounded due to safety issues.
110 dead, 3 gravely injured survivors. Tragedy.

Terribly sad for Cuba.

• Sad 1

Old series 737, chartered from a Mexican outfit. No surprise really but shame nonetheless. RIP. 

Guest Nekhyludov
13 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

I am still a bit confused.

Was it a Cubana airplane (logo, colors...) operated by a mexican company?

From the New York Times:

There was confusion over which airline had leased the plane that crashed on Friday to Cubana. Initial state media reports said it belonged to Blue Panorama, an Italian company. But Blue Panorama said its plane was not involved. When reached by phone, an employee at Damojh Airlines, a Mexican company also known as Global Air, confirmed the plane belonged to the company.

Damojh Airlines began operations in 1990, and counts three airplanes among its fleet, according to a statement from the Mexican Secretary of Transportation.

The statement said that as recently as November the aircraft had been inspected as part of an annual program, and that its planes had passed a safety test administered by the government agency. In addition, the airline was up-to-date on its permits and was authorized to lease the planes domestically and abroad, including to Cubana.

It was a Damojh/Air Global airplane operated by Cubana with a Mexican crew?

Cubana is not allowed to fly, right? So they lease/rent an airplane and use it inside Cuba?? This sounds odd even to Cuba.

Just guessing but I think as Cubana is not allowed to fly they are renting their routes/slots to those who can.

12 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Old series 737, chartered from a Mexican outfit. No surprise really but shame nonetheless. RIP. 

39 years old B-737-200 with a long history of ownership ( including apparently a stint as a "torture taxi" for the US gvt ).

Here is what is known so far about the aircraft :

39 year old 737-200 reg XA-UHZ - man those birds know how to live past their prime. that plane was used by the US NAVY apparently from 2001-2005 timeframe.

Some sources list the former operator as L-3 Communications, the spook contractor that currently operates the 'torture taxi' 757's N226G and N610G with service to garden spots like Rabat, Bahrain and U-Tapao. 

It appears to be aircraft 21816, new in 1979 (so 39 years old) to Piedmont Airlines, then merged through USAir/US Airways until retired in 2000, with Canada 3000 for a year, then indeed with a grey market US operator from 2001-5 operated for the US military, and then to Mexico in 2005 where it has operated for a range of non-mainstream operators for the last 13 years.

I would imagine it had been leased by the Cuban operator from the bottom bidder for the work.

Interesting history. Old planes like this usually end up in Africa. I was asked to ferry an ex-southwest 737 to Africa just this week. 

What happened to inter-jet? Are they still flying? I flew on one of their old ass Airbus 320s to Cuba a couple yrs ago. 

24 minutes ago, Duxnutz said:

Interesting history. Old planes like this usually end up in Africa. I was asked to ferry an ex-southwest 737 to Africa just this week. 

What happened to inter-jet? Are they still flying? I flew on one of their old ass Airbus 320s to Cuba a couple yrs ago. 

I will fly with interjet in a couple of weeks. I will let you know how their 320s are. I hope :wacko: