speilberg

has been behind so much of what we have enjoyed for many years now but i saw a nice little bit about him recently.

seems that he left university half way through to start making his films. and he did reasonably well. but then decided after more than thirty years that he'd like to go back and finish it. one of his subjects was advanced film making. he took the easy way out and simply shipped in a copy of schindler's list.

bit tough on fellow students. i didn't hear the result but i am assuming he passed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

has been behind so much of what we have enjoyed for many years now but i saw a nice little bit about him recently.

seems that he left university half way through to start making his films. and he did reasonably well. but then decided after more than thirty years that he'd like to go back and finish it. one of his subjects was advanced film making. he took the easy way out and simply shipped in a copy of schindler's list.

bit tough on fellow students. i didn't hear the result but i am assuming he passed.

Well, I'm grateful he didn't submit Hook!! :P:lol:

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Well, I'm grateful he didn't submit Hook!! :P:lol:

Hey, I've always loved that movie, although admittedly I was it's target demographic when it was released.  And it can't be all bad - they even went to the effort to include a scene with Hook smoking two cigars using his double cigar holder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MrGlass said:

Hey, I've always loved that movie, although admittedly I was it's target demographic when it was released.  And it can't be all bad - they even went to the effort to include a scene with Hook smoking two cigars using his double cigar holder.

I think I was about 10 when that movie came out and I liked it, too. Been wanting to see The Post, as I find the subject of Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers fascinating. And I just saw the trailer for Ready Player One, which looks like it might be a return to Adventure/SciFi.

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Interesting.  However, as a pro photographer and someone who dabbles in video too, I can tell you spending two or three years as an 2nd assistant or grip on a photo/video set will teach you more then what you could ever learn in school. 

Love Steven Spielberg movies - All of them are brilliant but my fondest memory was watching Close Encounters of The Third kind back when I was around 5 or 6 years old on VHS. The movie had been out for a few years before. I also recall ET at the Drive in. And of course, growing up watching all of his films as they come about. It's been a great era to be alive that's for sure.

Just now, MIKA27 said:

Love Steven Spielberg movies - All of them are brilliant but my fondest memory was watching Close Encounters of The Third kind back when I was around 5 or 6 years old on VHS. The movie had been out for a few years before. I also recall ET at the Drive in. And of course, growing up watching all of his films as they come about. It's been a great era to be alive that's for sure.

even something like poltergeist was done well.

but how on earth can you top Jaws? as silly as the topic might be - giant paper machee/plastic shark chomps on everything that comes near it - he did it so well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danimalia said:

Been wanting to see The Post, as I find the subject of Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers fascinating. And I just saw the trailer for Ready Player One, which looks like it might be a return to Adventure/SciFi.

The story was a bit dumbed down, and I left with expectations unmet.  There were some Ron Howard-like scenes of the newspaper folks putting the story together, and some hit-you-over-the-head scenes involving the difficult role of women at the time.  All the while, music was churning away making sure that you knew just how emotional and piquant all of this should be.  Drove me absolutely insane.  I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle Spielberg, who in this film (and, I think most others) seems to want to communicate with the least common denominators of the world.  No audience member left behind!

Otherwise -- Streep was, per usual, terrific, and Hanks was right up there.  Saved the move for me, to the extent it was saved at all.

41 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

even something like poltergeist was done well.

but how on earth can you top Jaws? as silly as the topic might be - giant paper machee/plastic shark chomps on everything that comes near it - he did it so well.

Oh yes.. POLTERGEIST, still classics, all of them were brilliant.

They tried a remake a few years back and it didn't come close to the original. 

13 hours ago, Danimalia said:

Been wanting to see The Post, as I find the subject of Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers fascinating.

been keen to see it as well, for similar reasons.

it seemed every review was extremely positive. then i read a review that pointed out that this was a film about the press saving the world, being the super heroes.

what self-respecting member of the press was not going to rave?

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

you have failed to use punctuation, by way of a full stop. and you have used a yellow dot. may i suggest you do not come from a position of strength.

touche sir, allow me to join you in a celebration of the lower case. full stop.  B) smug emotacon. full stop.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, Ken Gargett said:

how on earth can you top Jaws?

Raiders of the Lost Ark, that's how.

Jaws is tremendous, however. 

Few directors have even one "perfect" film. Spielberg has at least 2 with many more coming darn close.

Not so much a fan of his work since 2003 but he is a truly monumental figure in the history and development of modern film. 

• Like 1