Why the Wallabies are Woeful.

It is depressing enough that one of our senior Wallaby players would be caught up in such a malaise

......it is unforgiveable that he was caught by a 58 year old taxi driver. :blink:

George Smith, former Wallabies star, released from detention in Japan

By North Asia correspondent Jake Sturmer

Updated 

Former Wallabies rugby great George Smith has been released from detention in Japan, but prosecutors say investigations into his alleged drunken assault of a Tokyo taxi driver are continuing.

Smith, who played 111 Tests for Australia, has been charged with robbery resulting in bodily injury, which allegedly occurred on December 31 last year.

He has denied the charges.

Tokyo Metropolitan Police allege Smith took a taxi near his house in Fuchu city just after midnight and ran away without paying the 9,830 yen ($110) fare.

They allege that after the 58-year-old driver caught up with him, 37-year-old Smith assaulted him.

He was released from detention yesterday, but prosecutors say the investigation is ongoing.

Smith now plays for top-tier Japanese side Suntory Sungoliath.

His club — which won this season's premiership — cancelled its victory parade over the incident.

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

It is depressing enough that one of our senior Wallaby players would be caught up in such a malaise

......it is unforgiveable that he was caught by a 58 year old taxi driver. :blink:

George Smith, former Wallabies star, released from detention in Japan

By North Asia correspondent Jake Sturmer

Updated Fri at 6:07pm

Former Wallabies rugby great George Smith has been released from detention in Japan, but prosecutors say investigations into his alleged drunken assault of a Tokyo taxi driver are continuing.

Smith, who played 111 Tests for Australia, has been charged with robbery resulting in bodily injury, which allegedly occurred on December 31 last year.

He has denied the charges.

Tokyo Metropolitan Police allege Smith took a taxi near his house in Fuchu city just after midnight and ran away without paying the 9,830 yen ($110) fare.

They allege that after the 58-year-old driver caught up with him, 37-year-old Smith assaulted him.

He was released from detention yesterday, but prosecutors say the investigation is ongoing.

Smith now plays for top-tier Japanese side Suntory Sungoliath.

His club — which won this season's premiership — cancelled its victory parade over the incident.

to be fair, he was injured. and no doubt very pissed.

and there are so many more reasons why the wallabies are crap. they are hopeless lazy entitled dimwits for a start.

but a fish rots from the head - come on down, the ARU. giving a player close to a mill for taking a break for a year? and to pay that, they could not afford a bloke who worked his bum off and has now gone to japan. idiots.

izzy, another supposed superstar who needs 6 months off to rest - he is a back, for christs' sake. rest from what?

toss in a coach convinced foley is the second coming.

then we have the cream of the crop - khunt. this year's drugs charges will be...

higgers - charged with assaulting police.

the australian captain. a year or so ago caught by police for smashing up cars. eales, loane, farr-jones must all feel so proud.

then the three amigos - beale, o'connor, cooper. welcome to the role models association. drugs, theft, running away.

go through the team. how many do not have a record of police encounters, bad behaviour, stupidity. the all blacks would punt them immediately but us? we can't because otherwise you'd be playing a team of under 15s.

mind you, the real crime is the way they play.

The idiocy of some professional players these days is mind blowing. 

I hope there is some cctv of this incident that comes out. I’m imagining it was a bit like Benny Hill. 

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Of course, I agree with all this, but wait it gets better (or worse)...

David Pocock is returning 3 months late from his 1 year sabbatical due to a knee injury playing Rugby in Japan!!! :angry::mad:

I don't blame Pocock for this, after all, it was the ARU who allowed this to happen! :chicken::foot:

hi john

yes, i should have been more explicit. the best aussie player of the last decade. we want him fit, so the aru paid him nearly a mill to take a year off, while the wallabies suffered and his super rugby team, like every other, could not win a single game v the kiwis. and crowds suffered, as they would if you don't have your best players and keep losing. but we want him fit! but it will be okay for him to go off and play in japan and make another bundle. but we want him fit. and we lost mcmahon because we could not afford 300-400k for him. but we want pocock fit. after all, he has had several knee reconstructions. oh, and by the way, we don't have the money to continue to support the force so we'll just dump the team, alienate thousands of supporters, lose any momentum that rugby has in the west. but we want him fit.

the only thing dumber than players is the ARU. you could not make it up. you would seriously drown them at birth if you had any idea what was coming.

I’m not a cricket fan, but my mates who are remain adamant that Stokes would have made a big impact in the Ashes had he not been involved in his drunken fracas.

There’s apparently a big drinking culture in English cricket, but I can’t believe it’s as bad as it is in rugby.

Thankfully, incidents like Smith’s seem to still be the exception rather than the rule in union.

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

I’m not a cricket fan, but my mates who are remain adamant that Stokes would have made a big impact in the Ashes had he not been involved in his drunken fracas.

There’s apparently a big drinking culture in English cricket, but I can’t believe it’s as bad as it is in rugby.

Thankfully, incidents like Smith’s seem to still be the exception rather than the rule in union.

that is certain the general feeling. serious drinking issues.

as for stokes making a big impact, he is a good player but your mates are kidding themselves if they think he would have changed the result. it was 4-0. he'd have to be a combo bradman in top form and dennis lillee at his peak to change that result. stokes is neither.

• Like 1

I honestly think that most of the problems stem from the coach. If your leader acts like a toddler throwing constant tantrums, players will take that lead and act accordingly. The converse is also true.  Good leadership engenders good behaviour.

1 minute ago, Rustyman said:

I honestly think that most of the problems stem from the coach. If your leader acts like a toddler throwing constant tantrums, players will take that lead and act accordingly. The converse is also true.  Good leadership engenders good behaviour.

great deal in that. one of the reasons that wherever eddie jones goes, it all eventually ends in tears.

i remember seeing that wonderful defensive end, charles mann, interviewed about joe gibbs. he spoke in such reverential terms about the respect he had for him, and that the entire team had for him, that there was no one on the roster who would not do anything for him, who would not spend every hour training and preparing. they simply would have been ashamed to be seen to do anything less. and as for behaving badly, not a chance.

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

great deal in that. one of the reasons that wherever eddie jones goes, it all eventually ends in tears.

i remember seeing that wonderful defensive end, charles mann, interviewed about joe gibbs. he spoke in such reverential terms about the respect he had for him, and that the entire team had for him, that there was no one on the roster who would not do anything for him, who would not spend every hour training and preparing. they simply would have been ashamed to be seen to do anything less. and as for behaving badly, not a chance.

And that is what made me become a Redskins fan.  Joe Gibbs never seem to blame his team or opponents, any failures, he took on himself.  It is also the reason why I am a fan of the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA.  The coach Greg Popovich is an adult, treats his players like adults and expects them to perform as adults both on and off the court.

6 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

And that is what made me become a Redskins fan.  Joe Gibbs never seem to blame his team or opponents, any failures, he took on himself.  It is also the reason why I am a fan of the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA.  The coach Greg Popovich is an adult, treats his players like adults and expects them to perform as adults both on and off the court.

my apologies - forgot i was speaking to the converted!

18 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

my apologies - forgot i was speaking to the converted!

Thats also why I am not a fan of the current Skins coach.  He seems to have no philosophy other than throw the ball as many times as you can.  It seems he equates yards with wins which as you get to the playoffs is a very different story.

1 hour ago, Rustyman said:

Thats also why I am not a fan of the current Skins coach.  He seems to have no philosophy other than throw the ball as many times as you can.  It seems he equates yards with wins which as you get to the playoffs is a very different story.

i think that the jury is still out on his ability as a coach, although they are starting to pack up and are very close to delivering a verdict - one he would not like - but also that he equates player respect with being their buddy.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

i think that the jury is still out on his ability as a coach, although they are starting to pack up and are very close to delivering a verdict - one he would not like - but also that he equates player respect with being their buddy.

On the personnel management side, I have never seen a coach have sustained success with the "buddy" approach.  

A coach should be a mentor, a teacher, a guide and at times even a surrogate father figure.  He/she should be able to tell you when you are wrong, what to do to correct your deficiencies, coach players through difficult times and eventually get rid of the player if they are not performing or if someone else is performing better.

A coach should never be a player's buddy, as that kind of relationship is doomed to fail when the objectives of the team and the player diverge.

2 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

On the personnel management side, I have never seen a coach have sustained success with the "buddy" approach.  

A coach should be a mentor, a teacher, a guide and at times even a surrogate father figure.  He/she should be able to tell you when you are wrong, what to do to correct your deficiencies, coach players through difficult times and eventually get rid of the player if they are not performing or if someone else is performing better.

A coach should never be a player's buddy, as that kind of relationship is doomed to fail when the objectives of the team and the player diverge.

i agree.

i think that they can become friends afterwards, with the relationship built on what they achieved.

or in very rare instances, perhaps towards the end of the athlete's career. so if someone told me that bellicheck and brady had become friends, i can see that and have no real problem. but if you told me that they were mates first or second season, i'd think it was a guaranteed disaster.

Agree.  That respect between a coach and a player can often develop into real friendship after the player/coach relationship has ended and you often see that in great teams or teams that achieve greatness.

To me, that is one of the great things about sport.  The relationships that develop during playing careers but are extended, enhanced and grow long after the playing days have ended.

From a rugby perspective, the list of crimes is very long:

• Smith couldn't hold his liquor and it was only midnight
  • He is a pretty boy flanker but still couldn't count to 9,830
  • He got caught by a man 20 years his senior, who was probably a sluggish prop forward as well, but still better at math than him
  • He was not charged with public impropriety so he was clearly still clothed, even though it was a rugby party after midnight
  • He denied the charges instead of giving credit to the opposition and calling it a game of 2 halves
  • etc.