FORMULA 1

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Mercedes boss Wolff refutes Bottas' "sleeping" claim

Mercedes boss Wolff refutes Bottas' "sleeping" claim

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says that information gleaned from Valtteri Bottas's tyres encouraged the team to let Lewis Hamilton run a long middle stint in the 70th Anniversary GP.
As the leading W11 on the road, Bottas was given priority at the stops, and after a stint on the hard tyre he made his second stop on lap 32.

However, instead of coming in a lap later – as was the case at the first round of stops – Hamilton took his hard tyres all the way to lap 41, and indeed at one stage the world champion was hoping that he could reach the chequered flag without a second stop.

Ultimately, the strategy ensured that Hamilton got ahead of Bottas to claim second place, although both men lost out to race winner Max Verstappen.

Wolff says the team was able to examine the tyres that came off Bottas' car and, having decided that there was still some life in, made the call to leave Hamilton out for as long as possible.

After the race Bottas said that his team was caught sleeping, a suggestion that Wolff refuted.

"I just spoke to Valtteri," said the Austrian when asked about his driver's comments. "I don't think we were sleeping, but I accept his perspective. I think we just had the slower car today, and we just admit that.

"His point was should we have done the opposite to Max.

"As a matter of fact, this wouldn't have changed anything, because Max would have come out with a fresh tyre, and we would have continued with a tyre that wasn't in the best state any more, and he just pitted in front of us. So not sure what we could have done better.

"Obviously he's not in a happy place that he was P2 and Lewis was P3, but it was the learning that happened on track when we got Valtteri's tyre in, we saw there was actually a lot of rubber left, and we extended Lewis's stint, albeit that there were big vibrations but a lot of rubber.

"Therefore, he was getting quicker and quicker, the more the rubber went down, and that is why we could extend the stint, and eventually Lewis overtook Valtteri.

"It's clear he's not happy, and I totally respect that. None of us are happy today with the result."

Wolff insisted that a combination of factors had led to Mercedes struggling with the tyres in the race.

"I think we had indications in the past that our relative gap was not as large to our competitors when it was hot," he said. "It's a little bit simplistic to just say it's hotter.

"It comes down to the fact that we have a car with high downforce, and obviously when conditions change, parameters change, like temperatures going up, compounds getting softer, pressures going up, we have to acknowledge that the Red Bull is a pretty fast car, and that's what we have seen today.

"We have these days in the past, and came out stronger, and I'm really looking forward to Barcelona. We have a handful of days to assess, come up with solutions, test them on the Friday in Barcelona, and then hopefully have a better race on Sunday. These days where we lose are the days where we learn the most."

Brawn: Verstappen reminds me of Schumacher

Brawn: Verstappen reminds me of Schumacher

Formula 1’s Managing Director of Motorsport Ross Brawn has heaped praise on Max Verstappen after his victory at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix stating that he reminds him of seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher.

Brawn helped engineer Schumacher over the course of their time together at Benetton and Ferrari in the mid-1990s and 2000s and achieved almost unparalleled championship-winning success.

They would also work come together again in 2010, in the early days of Mercedes, laying some of the groundwork for what the team has acheived to date.

On Sunday, the Red Bull driver rose from fourth on the grid and put Mercedes under pressure, with the reigning champions’ predicament accentuated by tyre difficulties.

jm2009au343.jpg

He went on to prise the lead away from Valtteri Bottas shortly after his first pit stop and cycled back to the lead when the off-set Lewis Hamilton made his second stop.

“Max was simply sensational at Silverstone,” said Brawn.

“He reminds me of Michael Schumacher in many ways. When you listen to his radio, he’s clearly got spare capacity.

“The limit of the car is not the limit of Max Verstappen. He is able to feel the subtlety of the car and respond perfectly. I remember Max’s early days in Formula 1 where his speed was clear – he has now matured into an exceptional racing driver.

“I loved his radio, particularly when he said he didn’t want to “drive like a grandma” when the team asked him to manage his tyres. It shows huge confidence and a relationship in the team, which is very strong.”

Mercedes: ‘We’ll be in trouble’ in Spain if we can’t solve tyre issues

Mercedes: ‘We’ll be in trouble’ in Spain if we can’t solve tyre issues

Mercedes “will be in trouble” at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix if they can’t quickly understand their tyre problem, according to chief race engineer Andrew Shovlin.

Although Mercedes looked unbeatable at the opening three races, taking comfortable victories in Austria, Styria and Hungary, they almost lost out in Britain as tyre failures hit both cars, forcing Lewis Hamilton to cross the line on just three wheels.

Tyres were again the talking point a week later as both Mercedes cars suffered from heavy blistering on the hard (C2) and medium (C3) compounds, whereas race winner Max Verstappen looked to have far lower degradation and was able to beat Mercedes on outright pace.

This weekend’s Spanish GP will have the same compound choice as the British GP – the C1, C2 and C3 – which Shovlin says will allow Mercedes to “hide” from the problems it experienced at the 70th Anniversary race, but is still wary that they will have to run the C2 compound during the race in similar conditions.

“There’s an element of urgency because we’re flying out there on Tuesday, running on Friday, it’s forecast to be 30C, the track will be a bit like this. It’s a high energy circuit,” explained Shovlin.

“If we don’t solve it, you can probably hide from it [the issue] a little bit on that C1 tyre, but we’ve still got to run the tyre that was causing us grief.

“We’re kind of well aware that if we didn’t get on top of it, we’ve got another Sunday of looking silly.

“We’ve seen Red Bull, they’re not that far off us in races, even when we’re looking at our best so to be honest, if we don’t make progress, we’ll be in trouble [in Spain] as well, so that’s kind of where this urgency to get a bit of a grip on it comes from.”

With very little time to find a fix and them implement it, Shovlin admitted it wouldn’t be straightforward, especially given their 2019 car suffered from the same problem to a slightly lesser extent, and they still don’t understand why.

“This year’s car is, by and large, an evolution of last year’s car,” he added. “There’s not any areas where we’ve really changed philosophy, we’ve just been pushing down the same paths for development.

“Right now, we don’t understand what the problem is.”

‘One-stop races suck’, are boring for fans – Hamilton

‘One-stop races suck’, are boring for fans – Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton would prefer to see two-stop races become the norm in Formula 1 because they are “more exciting”, even if it comes at the price of Mercedes losing its dominant advantage.

The six-time F1 World Champion has repeatedly said he would prefer a close challenge over a dominant race, and that’s what Pirelli delivered during last weekend’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, which was won by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen who started down in fourth on the grid.

It was a result of Pirelli bringing a softer range of tyres compared to previous races this season, which forced drivers into making two or even three stops, compared to the usual one, which opened up the opportunity for different strategies.

Verstappen, who started on the hard tyre, was able to pass both Mercedes’, which started on the medium compound, to claim his first win of the season.

Although Hamilton lost out because of it, he has called on Pirelli to push for more two-stop races, even if it costs Mercedes their performance advantage.

“We’ve come here with the softer tyres which has made the racing more exciting,” said the Briton.

“As we said about the two-stop, part of me doesn’t want to propose we go with softer tyres moving forward because maybe we’ll be in this position again, but ultimately one-stops suck.”

“We should never be doing one-stops in this sport, it’s never been good watching as a fan, it makes it more exciting when there’s more.”

Asked specifically about that bringing Red Bull closer to Mercedes, Hamilton said he prefers the closer competition.

“I think it’s great. I want to have races where they are challenging. Obviously the Red Bull has been…seems to be quite close in race conditions to us and [they were] stronger so it shows they don’t have as bad a package as people said.

“I think it’s good. It’ll be interesting to see the progression through the year and I definitely won’t overlook them. I need to keep a close eye on them and keep working to push forwards because it’s not going to be easy by any means.

“I don’t think my team has that mentality anyway, we just keep out heads down, and yeah I was hopeful today – wishful thinking – that we’d have some sort of race towards the end but maybe in the future we’ll get to have some, a bit.”

Ferrari first team to commit to Racing Point appeal

Ferrari first team to commit to Racing Point appeal

Ferrari has become the first of five teams to confirm that it is pressing ahead with its appeal against the stewards’ decision regarding Racing Point’s brake ducts.

Stewards determined that Racing Point had broken the Sporting Regulations in the design process of its RP20 though deemed that it had not been in breach of the Technical Regulations.

A 15-point Constructors’ Championship deduction, a fine of €400,000 and team reprimands were issued.

The decision of the stewards was issued on Friday morning and under Formula 1’s regulations teams had 24 hours to give notice of their intention to appeal.

Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and original plaintiff Renault, along with Racing Point, issued notice of their intention to appeal.

They have until Wednesday morning to determine whether formally lodge an appeal and Ferrari has now become the first team to do so.

It has appealed both the decision issued by the stewards on Friday morning and the reprimand given to Racing Point after the brake ducts were again run in Sunday’s race at Silverstone.

Ferrari has not publicly confirmed the exact grounds of the appeal.

It is understood that there is a push for Racing Point to be issued a harsher penalty while clarifying certain grey areas within the regulations.

Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll has already indicated that the team will follow through with its appeal as he vowed to clear its name.

Wolff ‘mediating’ to avoid Racing Point case going to Court of Appeal

Wolff ‘mediating’ to avoid Racing Point case going to Court of Appeal

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has revealed that he has been acting as a mediator in the Racing Point case after four Formula 1 teams notified the FIA of their intention to appeal.

Racing Point was hit with a 15-point Constructors’ Championship deduction and a €400,000 fine after the FIA ruled it had broken the Sporting Regulations by running a copy of Mercedes’ rear brake ducts.

Renault – which raised the original protest – Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, have all notified the FIA of their intention to appeal the fact Racing Point can continue to run the brake ducts, whilst also calling for a tougher sanction.

Racing Point has also said it will appeal the verdict, with team owner Lawrence Stroll insisting the team has done nothing wrong and will clear its name, which he says has been unfairly “dragged through the mud”.

Although Mercedes has also been involved in the protest because it supplied Racing Point with the brake ducts, Wolff has been acting as a mediator to try and resolve the situation without it going to the International Court of Appeal, which will be a lengthy and drawn out process.

“I don’t think that anybody is interested in this continuing forever and going to the International Court of Appeal,” the Austrian told Sky Sports F1.

“It will be a month or two until there is the case with lawyers involved, and therefore, everyone is trying to be pragmatic. I was invited to be the mediator between the two groups, which I tried to satisfy.

“They’re all so stubborn, but I think we made progress, a little bit,” he added.

“Now in the next 48 hours, we should come to a conclusion whether the appeals remain upheld or everybody decides it’s not worth going that way. Racing Point was penalised anyway.”

The five teams now have until Wednesday morning to officially submit their appeals.

Wolff sided with Racing Point and insists neither they or his team have done anything wrong, adding: “We have not been protested. We have done nothing wrong. I strongly believe that Racing Point has done nothing wrong.”

Brawn: Hulkenberg should have full-time F1 seat

Brawn: Hulkenberg should have full-time F1 seat

Formula 1 chief Ross Brawn says Nico Hulkenberg deserves a full-time seat in the championship, revealing that he almost signed him for Mercedes in 2013.

Hulkenberg missed out on a race seat for 2020 after previous employer Renault opted to recruit Esteban Ocon in his place.

Potential opportunities at Alfa Romeo and Haas also fell by the wayside when the respective teams retained their current driver line-ups.

But Hulkenberg was drafted back into action by Racing Point at Silverstone when regular driver Sergio Perez returned a positive Covid-19 test.

Hulkenberg dropped out in Q2 at the first race, and did not start due to a power unit issue, but in the second encounter qualified a shock third, and went on to classify seventh in the grand prix.

Prior to his Formula 1 role Brawn held the Team Principal position at Mercedes and revealed that Hulkenberg was the team’s back-up choice in the event that it did not land Lewis Hamilton for 2013.

“It was going to be an incredible physical challenge for Nico and I don’t know how much he hurt at the end of the race,” he said in his post-race column after the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.

“But it was great performance all weekend by someone who had just been dropped in the deep end.

“I almost signed him years ago, when I was in charge at Mercedes. If Lewis hadn’t joined Mercedes when he did, Nico was our next choice.

“I’ve always respected Nico enormously as a driver. He’s a very strong driver who should be in Formula 1.”

Race winner Max Verstappen also complimented Hulkenberg on his performance and hopes to see him back on the grid in 2021.

“I really hope that this will help Nico find a seat for next year, because he definitely deserves to be in Formula 1,” he said.

“There are definitely a few drivers who are not as good as him at the moment, so it’s hopefully a great boost for him.”

Hulkenberg remains on standby for Racing Point in the event that Perez is not cleared to return for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.

Hulkenberg is understood to be a leading candidate for an Alfa Romeo seat next year.

Williams has "very clear" position on Racing Point appeal

Williams has "very clear" position on Racing Point appeal

Claire Williams says a "very clear" position regarding the DNA of Formula 1 is behind her team's decision to appeal the FIA's ruling in the Racing Point brake duct case.
Williams is one of four rival teams that responded to the FIA's ruling on the Racing Point brake duct case, a guilty verdict that yielded a €400,000 fine and a 15-point penalty, by filing an intention to appeal.

Ferrari, McLaren, and Renault - which led the campaign against Racing Point with a string of protests - have also formally called for a harsher sanction, while Racing Point has made its own appeal in a bid to clear its name.

The rival appeals have drawn the ire of Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll, who earlier this week said he is "appalled by the way Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams have taken this opportunity to appeal, and in doing so attempted to detract from our performances".

However, Claire Williams says her team is "very clear" on its position regarding the design of performance parts and its importance to Formula 1.

"It's quite a difficult conversation for all us to have," she told the Australian Grand Prix's In the Fast Lane podcast.

"Quite honestly, nobody wants to be criticising your fellow competitors. As much as this is a sport, and we're all incredibly competitive against each other and [you] use everything within your armoury to beat your rivals, nobody every really wants this situation.

"But Williams has always been very clear on what we feel to be the real and true DNA of this sport, the traditional DNA.

"Some would argue that, well, that is traditional, that is history, and in order to be successful you need to adapt, innovate and change, and that's what teams like Racing Point have done.

"But we will always stand by the philosophy that Formula 1 teams, constructors, should absolutely be designing and manufacturing the performance-related parts on their cars.

"Obviously this is the question, the debate, that's going on around Racing Point at the moment with their rear brake ducts.

"I don't want to go into a whole lot of commentary about it, I don't think that it's right.

"We have submitted our intent to protest with the FIA, and it's up to the FIA. It's their jurisdiction in order to analyse what's happened and in order to attribute punishment if that's appropriate or penalties if that's appropriate, if [Racing Points is] found in breach of regulations."

Despite Renault's successful protest of the Racing Point brake ducts, the FIA also ruled that it would be unrealistic to expect the team to "unlearn" what it now knows and re-engineer the parts.

Therefore, as it stands, the brake ducts can stay on the car without incurring any more penalties, although the team is set to be issued with a reprimand after each race.

That, says Williams, is something that should be addressed in the appeal.

"I think it's quite confusing for fans that we've got a sporting regulation that's in breach but not a technical [regulation], and therefore these brake ducts can continue to be put into use," she added.

"But they are performance-related parts. So it's something that we very much hope and we know [the FIA] will be looking into, and they will be making the right decision moving forward."

McLaren withdraws Racing Point F1 appeal

McLaren withdraws Racing Point F1 appeal

The McLaren Formula 1 team has decided not to progress with an appeal regarding the Racing Point brake duct case – although Ferrari and Renault will continue to do so.
The decision by the latter two teams means that the matter will now definitely go to the International Court of Appeal. 

In the decision announced on Friday morning, the FIA stewards gave Racing Point a €400,000 fine and docked the team 15 World Championship points, while allowing the Silverstone outfit to keep using the same brake ducts. Due to the complexity of the case teams were given 24 hours to lodge a notice of intention to appeal, instead of the usual hour.

The five teams who submitted a notice by Saturday morning then had 96 hours to confirm that they will carry on or drop out, a deadline that passes at 0930 UK time on Wednesday morning.

Ferrari and Renault have now confirmed their intention to continue, while Williams told Motorsport.com that it will make an announcement in the morning. Racing Point, which lodged an intention to appeal and is on the other side of the case, has also yet to make any announcement.

A statement from McLaren indicated that the team welcomed the promise by the FIA that it will clarify the issue of copying, as expressed by head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis at Silverstone last weekend. While the team has opted out of active involvement in the case, it says it will “follow proceedings with interest.”

In effect, with at least two teams already pursuing the matter, there was little for McLaren to gain by remaining involved. 

A statement given to Motorsport.com said: “McLaren Racing has decided not to appeal the decisions of the FIA Stewards in relation to Renault’s protests of Racing Point.

“The team welcomes the Stewards’ decisions and findings in this case and importantly that the FIA has demonstrated that transgressions of the rules will be investigated and punished.  “Moreover, McLaren Racing is pleased that the FIA will further clarify the sporting and technical regulations to protect Formula 1 as a sport where teams are clearly defined as Constructors, and removes the potential that the Formula 1 World Championship includes cars that are, in effect, copies of other competitors’.

“Taking the above and a broad view of all factors into account, McLaren Racing will not continue with an appeal in this case. 

“Additionally, McLaren Racing respects the decisions of Ferrari and Renault to pursue their appeals and will follow proceedings with interest.”

Renault confirmed on Tuesday evening that it would continue with its appeal: “We have confirmed our intention to appeal against the Stewards’ decision in respect of the Racing Point brake ducts. In the meantime, we will continue to work intensively with the FIA and all stakeholders to develop and implement a clear and enforceable regulatory framework that will ensure all teams participating in the 2021 season will develop their original aerodynamic concept by themselves.”

Verstappen now a championship threat, says Wolff

Verstappen now a championship threat, says Wolff

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff believes that his drivers Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas are now in a title fight with Red Bull Racing and Max Verstappen.
Following his spectacular victory in the 70th Anniversary GP Verstappen lies second in the table on 77 points, 30 behind leader Hamilton, despite retiring in the first race in Austria.

Prior to last weekend, Wolff had consistently cautioned that the season was far from over, despite dominant performances from Mercedes in the early races, and he believes that Verstappen's Silverstone win proved that the contest is still open.

"I think we have," he said when asked if F1 now has a title fight. "I kind of enjoy the situation because everyone was saying, 'OK, this is going to be a walk in the park for Mercedes,' and here we go.

"That wasn't at all a walk in the park. We were certainly not the quickest car, maybe not even the second quickest car.

"We have seen in the past that the hot conditions somehow don't suit our car, but as I said before, it's much more complex than that. I'm actually up for the challenge.

"We have probably the quickest package, but the quickest package also involves the most downforce, and the most downforce works the tyres hardest. In that respect, we have to learn how to tune the car to help the tyres survive a little bit.

"I'm really curious to see and interested to see how we're going to do in Barcelona. We have a handful of days to understand, and there is nothing better than a great challenge."

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said he's waiting for a "clearer picture" to emerge before making a call on Verstappen's prospects.

In the past the Milton Keynes team has traditionally become more competitive as the season has gone on, although the change in the schedule due to COVID-19 means that some of the circuits where it has excelled are not being used.

"It's difficult to say," said Horner when asked by Motorsport.com if Verstappen can gain title momentum.

"I think Mercedes underperformed today, compared to the last few events, so I think it's going to be a few more races yet before we have a clearer picture on that. But we're delighted to get this first victory of 2020, particularly on this anniversary race."

Horner added that the second Silverstone event was the first true sign of the potential of the RB16.

"These cars put up a little bit of a fight so far,"he said. "So it has only been today that we have really seen the performance that we believe that it is capable of.

"So for us it is very important that we understand why it has performed so well today, in corners that we were weak in on Saturday today was no issue at all.

"The wind was a little bit less, temperatures were pretty similar to the last couple of days, and last weekend. Tyre pressures were slightly different, because of the problems Pirelli had last weekend.

"It is important for us to take away this data and analyse it and understand it, because we're definitely underperforming on Saturdays, where we are fighting over tenths with Racing Point and Renaults this weekend, and then we were lapping them in the race.

"So there is a big delta, and we've seen a bit of a pattern of that across the last four or five races. We've got a lot to understand, but it is really encouraging to have this performance. It rewards all the hard work that is going in."

Hulkenberg interested in Alfa Romeo seat for 2021 as he plots full-time return to F1

image.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg’s sensational return to Formula 1 has been headline news in recent weeks, but will the 'super sub' be back on the grid full time in 2021? On the latest F1 Nation podcast, the German talked up the possibility...

After eight months out of F1, Hulkenberg returned with Racing Point for the British Grand Prix after full-time driver Sergio Perez tested positive for Covid-19. That race ended in retirement for Hulkenberg, but he came back to qualify a stellar third and finish P7 for the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix on Sunday.

Between the two races at Silverstone, Hulkenberg revealed he was actively looking for a seat in F1 for 2021, before Ross Brawn revealed he was Mercedes’ second choice had Lewis Hamilton not signed for 2013.

One team that is continuously linked with Hulkenberg is Alfa Romeo, especially given the German's links to Team Principal Fred Vasseur who ran him to F3 and GP2 title success in 2009. So, would Hulkenberg consider a comeback with Alfa Romeo?

“Yes, yes is the short answer,” replied the 32-year-old before explaining that the contract would have to be right for him. “I mean doing a deal, there’s several terms that play into it – it’s the whole package, I guess.

“I’m very keen to go racing again in Formula 1. I still love it here, it’s my passion. I’m not desperate but I’d certainly love to come back and be racing again. I’ve been talking to Fred [Vasseur, Alfa Romeo Team Principal] quite frequently in the last few months…"

After qualifying third in a stunning display on Saturday at Silverstone, Hulkenberg went out to “appreciate the moment” in the race, which was somewhat hampered by a third pitstop that dropped him to seventh at the chequered flag.

“It was fairly unspectacular, my race, but I’m also glad and thankful for that. It wasn’t too much fighting and Safety Cars and stuff like that. [I had] enough on my plate the last 10 days, as it was.

image.jpg

“A friend said to me: 'You know what Nico, you did 100% [in qualifying], today it’s just all: just go out there, have fun and enjoy it as well.'

“Obviously, we thought it would be a bit better but still, it’s a decent car and enjoyable. I tried to kind of inhale that too and appreciate the moment there.”

After just two races, Hulkenberg’s six points put him 14th in the championship, four points behind Sebastian Vettel and four ahead of Alfa Romeo’s Antonio Giovinazzi – someone he could get used to racing against in the future, perhaps...

Exasperated Sainz rues slow pit stop at Silverstone and 'consecutive setbacks'

image.jpg

Carlos Sainz cut an exasperated figure after the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, where a slow pit stop cost him nearly six seconds and undid all his hard work for what he called an "easy" points finish. It bookended a frustrating pair of races for the Spaniard at Silverstone as a tyre issue cost him points in the British GP a week earlier.

"I'm starting to get a bit frustrated and a bit out of words because nothing seems to go right for me at the moment," said Sainz after the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.

"We lost a lot of time today in the pits and I don't think it's the [team's] fault – I don't want to be tough on anyone. I think we had a mechanical failure. It's not something to be tough about but, as a competitive driver that I am, I'm obviously very disappointed."

Having qualified a sub-par P13 – he's managed an average qualification of 5.4 over five races – Sainz was P4 by the time he pitted on Lap 22 thanks to solid race pace and a longer first stint than most. It was then that the costly pit stop took place, as his crew struggled with the front-left wheel and Sainz then had to stamp on the brakes to avoid an unsafe release, with Esteban Ocon flying past in the pit lane. That was after earlier avoiding a spinning Sebastian Vettel at Turn 1 on the opening lap.

He explained: "It was a strong start avoiding Sebastian in Turn 1, and then we were just cruising after [my opponents'] first round of pit stops. I stayed out on the hard tyre, we were starting to overcut everybody and create a big tyre delta, which would have put me in a very strong position for the rest of the race but, again, another five seconds or something lost in the pit stop – and from there on [we were] back into traffic and back into a very bad position.

"The hard work, undone. Another tough day," he surmised. "It was pretty easy [to score points]. I think the hard work was done in the first stint and we were looking very strong after that."

image.jpg

This latest setback came after a tyre issue at the end of the British Grand Prix had Sainz drop from P4 to P13 on the penultimate lap. In Hungary and Styria he encountered issues in the pits again that had him settle for ninth in both of those races.

"I guess I drove well today, I was happy with how the race was going and I just need to turn the page quickly," he said, looking forward to his home race, on August 16 at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

In his final season with McLaren, Sainz sits 11th in the drivers' championship with 15 points while team mate Lando Norris is fifth with 38 points. However, after the first five races of 2019, Sainz was 11th in the championship with 10 points – and he ended up sixth overall.

Ocon keen to ‘fight with the bigger boys’ after ‘fun’ drive to P8

image.jpg

Renault’s Esteban Ocon overcame a disappointing qualifying for the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix to climb from P14 to P8 at the chequered flag – a result which left the French driver aiming even higher for next week’s Spanish Grand Prix.

Despite starting 14th, nine places down on team mate Daniel Ricciardo, and following a three-place grid drop for blocking George Russell in qualifying, Ocon was one of just three drivers (along with Charles Leclerc and Kimi Raikkonen) to successfully work a one-stop strategy, coming home eighth as Ricciardo ended up P14 after a difficult Grand Prix.

“I had a great race overall,” said Ocon. “From the start, the pit stop, the information I got in the car, how the car was handling – definitely fantastic, a very big change from [Saturday]. We were disappointed in qualifying. We turned it back to very positive in the race and holding [off a] McLaren and having a fight with five cars behind on different strategies, it was really good fun. I enjoyed that one and a great job by the team.”

Asked how he’d had to adapt his driving to make the one-stop strategy work at a hot Silverstone, Ocon said: “Well you need to save in some corners more than others, you need to push at key moments of the race… just being smart with who you were fighting with and everything.

“There were five cars at some point behind me with different strategies, including a Red Bull [Alex Albon’s], there was Carlos [Sainz] behind fighting and you know in there I was having in mind, ‘I still have 30 laps to go!’ So it was quite difficult but very happy and a very positive race today.”

image.jpg

Ocon now looks ahead to the Spanish Grand Prix on August 14-16, where – following on from Daniel Ricciardo’s fourth place at the British Grand Prix – the former Force India driver is hoping that he too can prove that Renault are capable of consistently fighting a little higher up the order.

“I think the car is capable of more than eighth, really,” said Ocon, “and we have seen in qualifying Daniel can go fifth. That’s what we need to improve on my side of the garage. We definitely need to put the car up there and in the race the car is quite quick.

"We are not shy of fighting with the bigger boys so it’s very positive. It’s going to be an interesting season.”

• 4 weeks later...

Williams family steps aside from F1 team

Williams family steps aside from F1 team

The Williams family is to sever its connections with the Formula 1 team that bears its name after this week's Italian GP.
The news comes shortly after the sale of the team to Dorilton Capital was announced, along with confirmation that the team has signed the new Concorde Agreement.

Claire Williams is to step down as deputy team principal of the outfit founded by her father Sir Frank in 1977.

It brings an end to a 43-year history in the sport for Frank Williams, whose team has won 114 grands prix and seven drivers' championships.

The team has made no announcement about who will succeed her as the day-to-day boss of the Grove outfit.

"With the future of the team now secured, this feels like the appropriate time for us to step away from the sport." she said.

"We have been in this sport for more than four decades. We are incredibly proud of our track record and the legacy we leave behind. We have always been in it for the love of it, for the pure pleasure of going motor racing, so this is not a decision that we have taken lightly but after much reflection and as a family.

"This may be the end of an era for Williams as a family-run team, but it is the beginning of a new era for Williams Racing and we wish them much success in the future.

"On behalf of Frank and the Williams family, I would like to say how incredibly grateful and humbled we are for the support we have enjoyed over the years, from our friends in the paddock to the many fans around the world."

Williams joined the team founded by her father Frank in 2002, initially in a communications role.

She joined the board as commercial and marketing director in 2012, before taking up her current job – which entailed day-to-day responsibility for running the team - in 2013.

Speaking about her personal involvement, she insisted that the decision to leave was hers, and was prompted in part by a desire to spend more time with her family.

"It is with a heavy heart that I am stepping away from my role with the team," said Williams. "I had hoped to continue my tenure long into the future and to preserve the Williams family's legacy into the next generation.

Williams F1 team sold to private investment firm

"However, our need to find inward investment earlier this year due to a number of factors, many of which were outside of our control, resulted in the sale of the team to Dorilton Capital.

"My family has always put our racing team and our people first and this was absolutely the right decision. I know in them we have found the right people to take Williams back to the front of the grid while also preserving the Williams legacy."

"I have taken the decision to step away from the team in order to allow Dorilton a fresh start as the new owners.

"It has not been an easy decision but it's one I believe to be right for all involved. I have been enormously privileged to have grown up in this team and in the wonderful world that is F1.

"I have loved every minute and will be forever grateful for the opportunities it has given me. But it's also an incredibly challenging sport and I now want to see what else the world holds for me. Most importantly, I want to spend time with my family.

"I would like to thank Dorilton for their support and for understanding my decision. I would also like to thank our fans who have stuck by us through thick and thin.

"Our people at Williams have always been family, they have kept me motivated during the difficult times and it is them who I will miss the most. It is my genuine hope that the process we've gone through brings them the success they deserve.

"And finally, I would like to thank my dad for everything he has given to the team, the sport and our family."

Dorilton boss Matthew Savage paid tribute to the Williams family.

"We fully respect the very tough decision of Claire and the Williams family to step away from the team and the business after securing new resources for its future," he said.

"Claire's achievement in sustaining Williams Racing's heritage, relevance and commitment to innovation in a difficult environment since taking charge in 2013 has been nothing short of monumental.

"She has also been hugely instrumental in shaping a more level technical and financial playing field for F1, which will help to ensure the team's return to the front of the grid in seasons to come.

"We are proud to carry the Williams name into the next exciting phase for the sport and we thank Sir Frank, Claire and the Williams family for the opportunity to be part of this great British brand."

Verstappen: Mercedes domination not affecting my motivation

Verstappen: Mercedes domination not affecting my motivation

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen says it would be “stupid” to question his motivation, despite the current superiority of the rival Mercedes package in Formula 1.
After retiring in the opening race in Austria, Verstappen has been on the podium at every subsequent race, but he was only able to beat the Mercedes drivers at the second Silverstone event, when Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas had tyre issues.

At Spa, last weekend his frustration was obvious as he had to manage his own tyres, unable to do anything about the two Mercedes cars ahead.

Nevertheless, when asked if it was difficult for him to stay motivated in 2020, he made it clear that was not the case.

“I don't understand why people think you wouldn't be motivated,” he said. “You have one of the best jobs in the world, you're driving super fast cars. And I'm driving third or second, and I had one win. So I find it incredible that people think you wouldn't be motivated.

“It's really stupid. I love what I'm doing. Every weekend I come here and I love driving the car, and I want to of course try to challenge them, but if it's not possible I settle for the best result possible in the car I have, and then I'm still enjoying it.”

Asked if he agreed with the recent suggestion by Red Bull motorsport chief Helmut Marko that he could still win the championship, Verstappen said: "Well, we won't give up, but I'm very realistic that at the moment we're just too slow. We need luck to win races and actually gain some points back.

“Like at the moment it looks like we're still in a championship fight, but every race I'm more or less losing seven points, so at one point it will of course be very big, the gap. Like I said, just being realistic, I think it's good.

“But every single weekend I try to of course get the best out of it. I mean, it's not like I'm down or anything, but be realistic. I think in Spa again, we were half a second slower a lap, compared to them, so you can't really fight them at the moment.”

Regarding the new engine mode rules, Verstappen said that not having to adjust settings means he will have less work in the cockpit.

“To be honest, it just makes everything a bit easier,” he said. “Not that it was very difficult before, but you just stay in one mode in the restart, or to start, and it's a bit better I guess.

“After qualifying normally we are not allowed to change anything on the car. But we were allowed, of course, to change the engine mode.

“So I guess if you want to go in that same direction I guess it's a good thing to do that as well with the engine.”

Hamilton finds engine modes saga "amusing"

Hamilton finds engine modes saga "amusing"

Lewis Hamilton says he finds the saga surrounding Formula 1's ban on qualifying engine modes 'amusing', as he questions the real reason for the change.
From this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, the FIA has outlawed teams from using any special 'party mode' to boost engine power for single laps in qualifying.

Instead, teams will have to run with consistent modes throughout qualifying and the race.

While the FIA stated that it was imposing the ban because it wanted to be more confident about its policing of what teams were up to with engines, Hamilton said he is intrigued about politicking from other teams.

"I find it kind of amusing because the FIA said that it was so they could manage everyone's useage of the engine or something like that," explained Hamilton ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

"And then Red Bull came and said: we were the ones just pushing for it. So it's just completely different reasons why they did it."

Hamilton and teammate Valtteri Bottas are both convinced that, while the ban will impact their team, they think the difference will be minimal.

"I think naturally we lose a little bit," added Hamilton. "But it's not the end of the day. So I think everyone potentially would lose something but maybe some more than others. And no one particularly knows I think."

Bottas backed up the view that the change will free up better engine modes for the race, as the power units would not be so compromised on reliability by having to run at full power in qualifying.

"I think in qualifying honestly there is going to be a small difference," said the Finn. "It's not huge. But then in the race hopefully, it seems like we are overall going to have a better race time with a decent mode all through the race."

Williams driver George Russell reckoned that anyone hoping for the engine mode ban to hurt Mercedes would be in for disappointment.

"If anything it's only going to help them even more in the race, so the whole idea of trying to slow them down is actually going to go complete the opposite way," he said. "It's only going to enhance their performance.

"I think on a Saturday it will probably compromise us a tenth of two, but we expect it to also compromise the other manufacturers a tenth or so. So we are probably a net one tenth down on a Saturday.

"But on a Sunday we're definitely net up by a big margin. And I think what Mercedes has done to improve the engine to allow us to run a very high engine more for the whole race is really impressive and she's going to be flying on the Sundays."

Racing Point's Sergio Perez reckoned, however, there was a risk of more engine failures this weekend as the result of teams perhaps pushing harder in the races.

"We don't know how hard the others can run their engines in the race, we will see," said the Mexican. "I think certainly it's going to hurt us a bit in qualifying.

"And it's to be seen how much we are able to gain back in the race compared to others. It's all relative. So I think it's just a matter of waiting for this weekend.

"This track is very hard on engines, so there might be some engines blowing up out there this weekend. So it will be important to make it to the end. And it will be very interesting to see the differences across teams."

McLaren: “Perfect execution” vital in huge battle over third

McLaren: “Perfect execution” vital in huge battle over third

McLaren F1 team principal Andreas Seidl believes the battle for third in the constructors’ championship will be won by which team best executes its races in comparison to rivals.
McLaren moved up to third place in the Formula 1 constructors’ standings after Lando Norris finished seventh in the Belgian Grand Prix, beating Racing Point drivers Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll.

The result left McLaren on 68 points, two clear of Racing Point and seven ahead of Ferrari, while Renault sits just nine points off third place after a strong weekend at Spa. With Mercedes and Red Bull far clear in the top two positions, it has left the battle for third place in the constructors’ championship finely poised nearing the halfway point of the season.

Seidl said it was “difficult to judge” if McLaren was consistently the third-quickest team so far this season, feeling that Racing Point was ahead on raw performance. But he felt the battle between McLaren, Racing Point, Ferrari and Renault would be settled by which team had the cleanest weekends and avoided dropping too many points.

“We still do not have enough samples [to say if we’re third-quickest]” said Seidl. “I still think that the Racing Point is definitely the third-strongest car in the field. Then there's a very tight battle in the ranking between the Ferraris, us and the Renaults, I would say.

“Then in the end, it comes down to maximising your weekends, making sure you get the perfect laps in Q3, making sure you have the perfect execution on the race Sunday, perfect reliability. I think that in the end will decide to championship we are in.”

Seidl was left frustrated that McLaren missed an opportunity to take more points off Ferrari and Racing Point after a power unit failure meant Carlos Sainz could not start the race. The German is anticipating Renault to be “very strong” at Monza this weekend, given the pace of its car in a straight line at Spa, but was pleased to see McLaren fighting closely with the teams around it.

“I think we were not far off to fight the Renaults,” added Seidl. “We expect them also to be very strong in Monza, because they were also strong there last year. But if we just look at ourselves, the pace of the car was quite encouraging, and we could take points away from the Racing Points and from the Ferraris. We are back in P3 in the constructors’ championship which is good.

“Looking ahead, it is good to see we have a car that we can fight with all these teams around us. As we have seen it will also depend on track characteristics and layout, but it is good to be in this fight and to have a car and two drivers where we can take up this fight.”

Leclerc "ready to wait" for Ferrari F1 progress

Leclerc "ready to wait" for Ferrari F1 progress

Charles Leclerc says he is ready to be patient through the "years" Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has warned it may take the squad to win again in Formula 1.
Ferrari has struggled so far in 2020 after its controversial engine "settlement" with the FIA, with the SF1000 down on power and struggling with the extra drag its aerodynamic parts generate as a result.

Leclerc has picked up two surprise podiums in the opening seven races, but Ferrari still currently sits fifth in the constructors' championship, which would be its worst position since 1981 (when it finished in that spot) if it remains there at the end of the season.

Binotto recently said "that if you look back at all the winning cycles it is always many years" before teams are in position to be victorious after dropping away from the front of the pack.

When asked if he could wait that long by Motorsport.com at the pre-event press conference for the 2020 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Leclerc, who has a Ferrari contract until the end of 2024, said: "Well, on one hand, I don't really have a choice.

"But yeah, surely it will take some patience and yes, I'm ready to wait.

"But It's also my job to try and make this whole process as short as possible and for us to come back where we deserve to be.

"So, it's not going to be easy. It will take time, but I'm ready for this. And my job is to give my best anyway in in every situation we are in."

Ferrari's struggles with the SF100 are set to continue into 2021 as a result of the coronavirus cost-saving measures that meant the majority form of the current cars will be carried over into next year.

Leclerc explained that he is splitting his focus between thinking about how best to lead Ferrari through its current problems while also being ready to make the most of the new designs arriving in 2022.

"Surely there's a bit of both in my head, but I think the most important for now is try to work out why we are struggling so much this year," he said when asked how he was considering Ferrari's future by Motorsport.com.

"This will help the future anyway.

"So, I'm trying to work as hard as possible, like everyone does in the team to try and find the issues and have a solid basis for the for the years to come."

FIA clamps down on track limits abuse at Monza

FIA clamps down on track limits abuse at Monza

The FIA will extend its clampdown on track limits offences at Monza for the Italian Grand Prix this weekend, with a focus on the exit of the second chicane and Parabolica.
Track limits became an issue during last year’s Italian GP meeting, and during the weekend FIA Formula 1 race director Michael Masi introduced a reference to Parabolica in the notes he issued to teams. However, the subject has been further clarified for this year.

Timing loops have been built into the track at Parabolica in order to allow race control to monitor offences.

Regarding Parabolica (Turn 11), Masi wrote: “A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track (all four wheels over the white track edge line) on the outside of Turn 11, will result in that lap time and the immediately following lap time being invalidated by the stewards.”

Then in a reference to both Parabolica and the second chicane (Turn 5), he added: “Each time any car passes behind the kerb or crosses the white line, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.

“On the third occasion of a driver cutting behind the apex of Turn 5, and/or crossing the white line on the outside of Turn 11 during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards. 

"For the avoidance of doubt this means a total of three occasions combined, not three at each corner.

“The above requirements will not automatically apply to any driver who is judged to have been forced off the track, each such case will be judged individually.

“In all cases detailed above, the driver must only re-join the track when it is safe to do so and without gaining a lasting advantage.”

Asked at Spa about Monza's “sausage” kerbs - which contributed to Alex Peroni's spectacular F3 accident - Masi noted that loops would be introduced at Parabolica.

“With all track safety parameters, we can look and see what we can improve and learn from everything,” he said. “So with regards to Monza there's a number of sausage kerbs that are still in there.

“There's other alternative measures that we've used for track limits that are in use next weekend, being two timing loops at Parabolica on the final corner, and we'll see how we go with those.

“I don't think it's a one-size fits all, so to speak. There's an appropriate solution for each particular area.”

F1 has a "mountain to climb" to exist in 10 years - Vettel

F1 has a "mountain to climb" to exist in 10 years - Vettel

Sebastian Vettel believes Formula 1 has a "huge mountain to climb" to still exist in 10 years' time, as he says it needs more than planned rule changes to thrive.
Amid a fast-moving world, with coronavirus having shown how quick situations can change globally, Vettel believes that F1 must work harder to adapt to what is around it.

Speaking to selected media ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, Vettel was clear in his view that F1 could not just sit back and expect a rules overhaul for 2022 to sort out all its problems.

Asked where he felt F1 would be in a decade, Vettel said: "I think it's a very interesting question. I think first of all, I think nobody would have thought, certainly not half a year ago, of the situation that the world is in now.

"It's a question of what the world is going to be in 10 years? So I think it's very difficult from that to look at Formula 1 only.

"I think, from my point of view, Formula 1 has a huge mountain to climb in order to still exist and still, you know, attract the fans and share emotions and passion.

"The world is changing, the world is changing very fast. And I think Formula 1 has to more than adapt.

"I know that obviously there's the regulation change coming [in 2022]. But I doubt that it will be enough.

"I think on a bigger picture Formula 1, has to do more than just change the regulations. We all hope that the regulation change for the sport will bring the teams closer together and will make the competition on track closer.

"But apart from that, I think the world, as I said, is moving fast and the world will face more and more big topics to fight. F1 cannot remain silent and close its eyes. So it will be actually I think very interesting to see where we are in 10 years and where Formula 1 is."

Vettel is heading to his final Italian GP as a Ferrari driver this weekend, with the event set to have a unique feel with it being closed to fans.

Having been embraced for many years by the tifosi, Vettel thinks having none of them around this weekend will actually make it a more simple weekend to deal with as he prepares to say goodbye to Ferrari.

"It will be a big shame that there is no tifosi in Monza," he said. "It will be the first time for me to race in Monza without fans.

"I think it is the first time for many of us and, in this regard, maybe it's a bit easier for me. I think one of the most overwhelming things in the past racing for Ferrari has been the fanbase around the world, but mostly the fanbase in Italy and the tifosi.

"Maybe it's a bit easier to race at Monza this year not having the fans around. But don't get me wrong: I think otherwise it would be a lot more difficult or harder to see all the support the people and so on, and to know that it's the last time."

MIKA: Sebastian is 100% right - Even for myself, I find it difficult to get excited anymore....

F1 has LOST so much of its DNA. Lack of decent engines, decent heroic drivers (Now rich kids mostly with little skill), tweaks every month to the rules in an attempt to "Catch up" to the better team(s). So much whining from so many angles. This season, I find it super hard to get motivated for this sport. It shouldn't be classed as an official season IMHO.

Competitive Renault drivers eye end to podium drought

Competitive Renault drivers eye end to podium drought

Daniel Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon believe Renault’s recent form gives confidence that the squad can end its lengthy drought from the Formula 1 podium positions.

Renault’s low-downforce package enabled it take home fourth and fifth in Belgium last weekend, with Ricciardo also bagging the fastest lap of the race for an extra point.

Monza, which often leads to the highest speeds during a Formula 1 season due to its long-straights, is the venue for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.

The outfit has not taken a podium since its days as Lotus in 2015 while as a works team Renault last featured on the Formula 1 podium in 2010.

As Renault looks to make gains towards third in the championship standings, both drivers believe they will be in the mix at the higher end of the grid during the coming days.

“The characteristics [of Monza] are similar in a more extreme way, a more suitable way than even Spa,” Ocon said.

“So we should be in a good position. But everyone works hard, so it is going to be tight as always. But I think we can have a good chance it again doing a strong race.

“Of course we were very close in Spa to the podium,” Ocon said.

”[We’re] not in that position yet, but the car was so competitive and I think there is going to be one more opportunity here.

“But let us not try to think about that too hard. Let’s do our job and in doing so if we have the speed we will try maximize and get it done.”

Ricciardo mirrored his team-mate’s comments and is confident that he will have a strong car underneath him throughout the weekend.

“I think we can be competitive again,” Ricciardo said. “That is what we should expect.

“Whether it will happen or not, time will tell. We know racecars can be interesting vehicle sometimes and surprise you in good or bad ways.

“After last weekend we should come here with confidence. If that results in a podium, time will tell.

“That is our aim, our target. But to sit here confidently and say yes we are going to be a podium car; we will wait and see. But I think we should be competitive I won’t deny that.”

Giovinazzi: If I perform, no-one can take my seat

Giovinazzi: If I perform, no-one can take my seat

Antonio Giovinazzi has asserted that his Formula 1 seat with Alfa Romeo for the 2021 season will be secure if he can continue on his current trajectory.

Giovinazzi joined Alfa Romeo full-time last year in the seat over which Ferrari has an influence, scoring points at four events, peaking with fifth in Brazil.

He classified ninth at Formula 1’s 2020 opener in Austria but has yet to capture another top 10 finish amid Alfa Romeo’s ongoing struggles.

Ferrari has three junior drivers competing at the sharp end of the Formula 2 grid, with Robert Shwartzman leading Callum Ilott in the standings, while Mick Schumacher holds fourth.

Alfa Romeo is one of only three Formula 1 teams – along with AlphaTauri and Haas – yet to confirm either of its drivers for the 2021 campaign.

It is understood that current outcast Nico Hulkenberg is in contention to make a full-time return while Alfa Romeo is also waiting on the outcome of the Sergio Perez/Racing Point situation.

“I think first of all I came to Formula 1 as a I don’t have any big names behind me or any big sponsor behind me,” Giovinazzi said ahead of this weekend’s round at Monza, the first of three home events for the 26-year-old.

“I’m here just because of results and talent. I know that Formula 1 is critical, you need to be always on a good shape every race weekend.

“I know also that many times one week you can be a bad driver and then the next week just after a few days you can be a hero.

“From my side I know that if I continue like I’m doing, to be fast and to try to score the points for the team nobody can take my seat for next year.

“We [will] see what happens but I’m quite sure from what I need to do: be fast and be consistent.”

Wolff: Monza ‘a perfect track’ to test F1’s new technical directive

Wolff: Monza ‘a perfect track’ to test F1’s new technical directive

Monza is the perfect circuit to put Formula 1’s new engine technical directive into action, according to Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff.

From this weekend, teams will no longer be permitted to run the ‘party mode’ engine setting during qualifying, as the FIA looks to group the field closer together on a Saturday.

Mercedes has dominated qualifying sessions this year, taking unchallenged pole positions at all seven World Championship events so far in 2020.

After another dominant display at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend, the sport heads to Monza and Mugello for an Italian double-header, with Wolff noting that qualifying will be critical this weekend at Monza despite the high-speed sections that present overtaking opportunities in the race.

“The second and third races of this triple-header take us to Italy, with stops in Monza and Mugello,” Wolff said.

“The famous ‘Temple of Speed’ is a real low-drag, low-downforce circuit where straight-line speed is crucial for a good result.

“The race was often won from pole in the past, which makes qualifying particularly important in Italy.”

However, Mercedes will have to contest the session without their usual engine advantage, with Wolff stating the Brackley-based squad is looking forward to the challenge of the new situation.

“Both the power sensitivity and the importance of qualifying make Monza a perfect track to test the impact of a new Technical Directive which comes into effect at the Italian Grand Prix,” Wolff said.

“TD/037-20 limits the usage of engine modes, requiring teams to run the same ICE mode in qualifying and the race.

“It will be intriguing to see how it affects the absolute and relative competitive order on Saturday and Sunday; we’re excited to take on the challenge and turn it to our advantage.”