Milan Duty Free

I'll be flying home through Milan, Italy in early August, and was wondering what I could expect when it comes to buying Cuban cigars duty free at the Milan airport. I plan on visiting the LCDH stores in Zurich and Milan, but am thinking I should save some of my cigar budget for the duty-free shopping experience.

Thanks in advance for any information you are able to share.

I've only flown through Rome on my Italy travels and I don't recall much of what was in stock being of any interest to me.  I've only noticed TONS of Monte Opens with the odd small 3/5 packs of Partagas, Montecristo and HdM.  Price wise I couldn't tell you if there was much of a saving in DF.  Hopefully someone who's recently traveled through Milan can shed some light.

I am assuming you mean Malpensa/MXP. I have never had great luck at MXP, or any of the Italian duty frees. They'll likely be some basics, 5 packs, etc. exactly as Bundwallah says w Rome. Linate is the smaller of the airports and even more slim pickens. I have always had a theory that limited selection in Italian DF has something to do w them all selling Italian cigars (Toscanos) but no real idea why it seems they have limited selection in my experience. 

30 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

I am assuming you mean Malpensa/MXP. I have never had great luck at MXP, or any of the Italian duty frees. They'll likely be some basics, 5 packs, etc. exactly as Bundwallah says w Rome. Linate is the smaller of the airports and even more slim pickens. I have always had a theory that limited selection in Italian DF has something to do w them all selling Italian cigars (Toscanos) but no real idea why it seems they have limited selection in my experience. 

I second this, having flown in and out of Malpensa and Linate in the past 3 months.  You can find your Cohiba minis, clubs, some random 5 packs, tubos, etc. as @El Hoze said above.  Honestly, just spend your money at the LCDH with Luca.  You can pick up unvetted, leftover, CCs anywhere nowadays, let our host or Luca help by finding the quality you actually want or risk being put-off by crappy examples.  My two cents, use your DF fund for Cuban rum.

^^ agree with most of the responses, and I'll offer my blanket advice for shopping in Duty Frees or other places worldwide, which is only look to purchase vintage, unique or rare stock or regional production. For standard regular production, stick to the usual sources like Rob. 

• Like 1

You're assumptions are correct, in that I'm flying out of Malpensa/MXP. Thanks for the information. I'll stock up at the LCDH's I visit, and if the DF shop does have something worth buying, well, budgets are made to be broken. :D

Thanks again for the info.

One of my best friends is a 330 captain  He is a total cigar degenerate and he smokes at least 3 sticks a day. He has brought back sticks from all over Europe. Due to time issues many of his purchases are through duty free shops. I can't speak about that airport in particular but the stuff from most of the DF shops in Italy are similar according to him. As stated previously lots of small Cohibas and Montes. The best score was Cohiba Corona Especial in 5 or 3 packs ( not sure which). lots of Monte 4s in packs most if of which were surprisingly very good. I have also seen a 4 or 5 pack of large pyramids of different brands Cohiba , Monte, Partagas  and HU. I got the Cohiba which was great but the others looked just average. He brought back some H U small robusto size which were awful. The worst ever.  In many cases these are sealed tubed or boxed so inspection  may be difficult. The Cohiba shorts in 10 packs are pretty much good regardless of origin If I were to take a blind chance it would be Cohibas or Monte 4s. Some good friends of mine are in Italy now. He always buys at DF for some reason. I will find out which airport they flew out of and post the results. Personally I would buy at LCDH or from 24/24. The prices at DF are typically high

Good luck and have a great trip

• Like 1