Not sure how to take this

Here in South Dakota there are a lot of bikers, male and female. I mean a lot as in I know I'm home because I will see more motorcyclist in driving across town to my parents house in Sioux Falls than I have seen all year living out of state elsewhere. With that I have seen a lot of friends/family injured and even killed on motor cycles than I care to. I was bit at the age of 17 on one and almost got ran over after dumping my bike. I'm still picking out pieces of asphalt or glass out of my arm 30 years later from areas that don't quite heal right or as they surface. It was enough to keep me away from riding again.  A distant relative lost his arms on one, Cousin lost her aunt and uncle coming back from Sturgis rally due by hitting a bump that punctured a tire. Roomate of mine after I got  out of the military dumped a bike on fresh highway wearing shorts and sandals after bumble bee hit him and got behind his glasses. Two of my closest friends and I grew up riding and only one of us continues to ride today. One of them is a police officer and he hung it up after one of his last motorcycle accident cleanups he had to run off a dog that was chewing on the motorcyclists knee he had found on the sidewalk.

I myself stayed in snowmobiling but same thing there, seeing people getting seriously hurt, nearly killed in a couple cases. I found one thing common with motorcycle accidents. I never got hurt myself because I followed these basics.

1. Never over ride your ability-embrace your machine and find out what you are capable of in a safe environment with proper safety gear and stay within that limit. 

2. Respect the machine- don't fear it but don't disrespect it by horse playing, being stupid or simply not thinking it is not capable of biting you. Getting comfortably numb around a machine is like getting too comfortable around working with high voltage. You get too comfortable and that is when your dangerous on one. 

3. Maintenance, Maintenance Maintenance. Develop an inspection of the machine, riding gear etc, before, during and after a ride. Deficiencies need to be fixed immediately. Tire needs replacement but you want to go for a ride with friends tonight? Get it replaced when next weeks check comes in right? Is it worth your life, someone else life? Park it and fix it before you ride again. 

4. Ride with people you trust and respect one another.

I think everyone at a young age only sees themselves riding and how cool they would look on one. Sure they hear they are dangerous but they don't truly see or know people who have been maimed or killed on one. I would say in all fairness and to settle your nerves as well is to find people you may know that have been bit and know people who died and have them tell the story in detail while doing the classes. I've known some that took the classes, rode once and never wanted to ride again, but they need to make that call. After all, many of us don't even want to do something until we are told that we cant and then we push ourselves even harder. 

• Like 2

I think the suggestion to take the MSF course is smart, and as others suggest, maybe take it with her if she'd enjoy that. I imagine those courses are helpful, with lots of safety information, and good habits to practice. Considering I've crashed every time I've tried riding a motorcycle, I know I'd be taking that class before I ever get on another one

• Like 1

She seems like a determined young lady so it'll probably happen with or without you. I agree with those who say take the course with her and try to persuade her it would be a good thing if you went out with her on her first few rides so you can see how she takes to it. You need eyes in the back of your head being a biker these days, but being super aware of everything around you will help in avoiding the numbskulls. You can also look on it as an opportunity to spend some quality time with your girl, while imparting some fatherly advice on the pitfalls of riding a road bike. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fosgate said:

After all, many of us don't even want to do something until we are told that we cant and then we push ourselves even harder. 

I think probably the best statement of all here on this subject: Forbidding one's desire does indeed seem to make that fruit sweeter - look at us Americans who desire Embargoed cigars!!! (LOL). Sort of like "reverse psychology", eh folks!?  I remember watching one of my favorite actors on a talk show who discussed trying to advise his own son about some things he wanted to delve into, and he's talking about how he's saying to him "...you know you should wait until...: and give it some time before...: " on and on. And he said he knew all his son was thinking was, "When is my old man gonna shut up so I can grab that girl and put her in the back of the car..." And he came to the conclusion too that he had no other real option but to step back, let his son try out all these things he was considering trying, and just hope and pray that he survives all these things... But you never know - if you possibly displayed a tiny little bit of nonchalance like, "Okay, go for it. I won't bother you about not doing it again..." it could give you a surprise effect, just like Fosgate mentioned.  Few things persuade decisions like believing someone close to them doesn't care - which I KNOW is not the case, and whereby you don't give her the impression she is not loved. But appearing to ease up on your fears just could influence her to see things your way. Just my 2 cts. 

• Like 1

I had an old timey flying instructor tell me, "fly planes long enough and you will crash one!"

When your dance card is full, that is the end of your dancing! It is all about how you view life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

-The Pig

• Like 1

Great advice from other posters.  IMO the best thing you can do is communicate openly your concerns.  Also you can't go around living in fear.  You risk your life every time you get into a vehicle.  

You risk your life every day when you get out of bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Inthestix said:

You risk your life every day when you get out of bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if the ceiling crashes down on you while still in bed? Scary!!

• Like 2