Thoughts for a special box

After sitting on a jury for a month, the proceeds of my juror pay will go towards a box of (hopefully) something good, and I'm turning to my fine Brethren of the Leaf for suggestions. My absolute favourites are Mag 46s (hands-down my cigar of choice), Monte 2 when they're on (my last box was awful, unfortunately). PSP2, Monte Double Edmundo, and Party 8-9-8.

I was really hoping to indulge with a box of Sir Winstons but they appear to be long gone from the marketplace, sadly. I appreciate the Julietta #2 (Churchill) vitola size and ring gauges between about 42 and 50. My budget is in the range of the cost of two boxes of Mag 46s, and initially I thought that's the route I would go, but I was thinking maybe I should bump things up a notch instead. Thoughts?

p.s. we found the guy guilty of 1st degree murder and conspiracy.

• Like 3

Wow! Pretty interesting month you've had. Glad he is in jail now.

Do you like Cohiba? Maybe getting a box of the Cohiba Robustos Supremos? They are very nice and are only going to increase in value over the years.

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

BCG. Its days are numbered, and you won't be disappointed. Possibly the best cigar in the world right now, IMO. Rich and great construction to boot. 

In the Churchill category I wholeheartedly agree with the BCG.  Awesome cigar!  Vendor stock is probably getting low, so the time buy them is now (before they're gone for good).

• Like 1

BCG it is, I guess! I'm not generally interested in fancy regionals or ultra-premium sticks, but exceptional construction, a good reputation and complex flavours are what make a better-than-average cigar worth buying to me. I've had too many poorly-constructed sticks, or pepper bombs (NCs) and a few dog rockets given by well-meaning friends. I decided to treat myself this time and get something tasty. I might be in the market for another box of Boli RCs too. I'm about to crack into a box of 2012s this spring.

Yeah, it's either one or the other. I have no CC churchills at all (although two 10-boxes of Party Lusitanias from 2008 aging happily at 62%). I used to enjoy an Esplendido on my birthday but those are beyond my price range alas. I have one box of 2014 and one of 2016 Mag 46s.

Big question, though. If I go for the BCGs, how can I be sure of getting a good box? The reason I ask is that I bought a box of Monte 2s a few years back and they're just awful in terms of construction. Burn is horribly uneven, some were badly plugged, and so on. If I'm going to spend some solid coin on a premium cigar that I plan to enjoy only one or two of per year, I'd like to assure myself that I'm getting a great box.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I'd hold out until Rob can put up some aged stock.   I got lucky the last time he did and was able to grab a box of 07 Trinidad Robusto's.   These are my 'special event' cc's now ...and well worth the wait.   IMHO respectfully.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jersey Devil said:

Yeah, it's either one or the other. I have no CC churchills at all (although two 10-boxes of Party Lusitanias from 2008 aging happily at 62%). I used to enjoy an Esplendido on my birthday but those are beyond my price range alas. I have one box of 2014 and one of 2016 Mag 46s.

Big question, though. If I go for the BCGs, how can I be sure of getting a good box? The reason I ask is that I bought a box of Monte 2s a few years back and they're just awful in terms of construction. Burn is horribly uneven, some were badly plugged, and so on. If I'm going to spend some solid coin on a premium cigar that I plan to enjoy only one or two of per year, I'd like to assure myself that I'm getting a great box.

You could wait for the BCG to come up on a 24:24 sale.  That would ensure you get proper quality and good construction.  However, it's a crap shoot as to whether Rob will be getting any more shipments.  You might want to PM him directly to inquire.  If FOH proves to be a no-go do then you'll want to go through a reputable vendor who will pick out a nice box for you.  Recent production of the BCG has been consistently good, but buying blind is always an "iffy" proposition.    

2 hours ago, Jersey Devil said:

After sitting on a jury for a month, the proceeds of my juror pay will go towards a box

Curious - where do you live and how much does it pay for jury duty where you are?  In Houston, Harris County, Texas, it's $6... and parking is $8. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, boopdeep said:

Curious - where do you live and how much does it pay for jury duty where you are?  In Houston, Harris County, Texas, it's $6... and parking is $8. 

Essex County, NJ. First 3 days is $5/day, then $40/day for the duration of the trial. Parking for jurors is free. I'm going to pay to park to attend the sentencing, though. I want to see our county's "hanging judge" send this guy away for consecutive life sentences. At least in Harris County you often have the opportunity to send the guy for the "bonus round" at sentencing, which my guy absolutely deserved, but we don't have up here.

1 hour ago, MahDooRow said:

You could wait for the BCG to come up on a 24:24 sale.  That would ensure you get proper quality and good construction.  However, it's a crap shoot as to whether Rob will be getting any more shipments.  You might want to PM him directly to inquire.  If FOH proves to be a no-go do then you'll want to go through a reputable vendor who will pick out a nice box for you.  Recent production of the BCG has been consistently good, but buying blind is always an "iffy" proposition.    

I'm not always around the computer in the evenings, so that could be an iffy proposition. I've never ordered from here before (only found out about this company last week). I've been dealing with two major and highly-reputable dealers in the Asian marketplace, both well-known for lower prices, and have for the most part been happy, but I've gotten a few "meh" boxes as well. It's definitely a crapshoot. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars to be assured a really good box, especially if it's something very special. For my daily smokes, if I get a so-so box I'm not so worried because I know the next box will probably be great. I've only gotten one really terrible box, those Monte-2s referenced above.

1 hour ago, Jersey Devil said:

Essex County, NJ. First 3 days is $5/day, then $40/day for the duration of the trial. Parking for jurors is free. I'm going to pay to park to attend the sentencing, though. I want to see our county's "hanging judge" send this guy away for consecutive life sentences. At least in Harris County you often have the opportunity to send the guy for the "bonus round" at sentencing, which my guy absolutely deserved, but we don't have up here.

I'm not always around the computer in the evenings, so that could be an iffy proposition. I've never ordered from here before (only found out about this company last week). I've been dealing with two major and highly-reputable dealers in the Asian marketplace, both well-known for lower prices, and have for the most part been happy, but I've gotten a few "meh" boxes as well. It's definitely a crapshoot. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars to be assured a really good box, especially if it's something very special. For my daily smokes, if I get a so-so box I'm not so worried because I know the next box will probably be great. I've only gotten one really terrible box, those Monte-2s referenced above.

I would send Rob a PM or email.  He will pick you a good box at a fair price if/when he gets another shipment.  When the BCG comes up again on a 24:24, my guess is that they will not last long.

RyJ Churchills have also been good over the past couple years if you are looking for a backup Churchill plan.

I'm actually surprised and somewhat saddened by the scarcity or discontinuation of 47 and lower RG cigars. I'm not a fan of large ring gauges and that's what I came to love about the Magnum 46--perfect ratio of wrapper to binder/filler. About the biggest size I like is a classic 5x50 Robusto. Seems to me that all the discontinuations from last year and this are to pave the way for ultra-premium products that us mere mortals could never afford and giant RGs. I'm happy as a clam with regular production sticks from the better CC Marcas (Upmann, Monte, Boli, Partagas, etc, as opposed to Vegueros, Gonzalez, QyH, Guantanemera).I hope the affordable, good quality Cuban puro won't go extinct as the market seems to be hinting at with $30-100 individual sticks. </rant>.

I've never had a BCG before. What could they be compared to? Longer version of the BBF or RC? How would they stack up to the Sir Winston or Esplendido? Or a Padron 1964, for that matter?

1 hour ago, Jersey Devil said:

I'm actually surprised and somewhat saddened by the scarcity or discontinuation of 47 and lower RG cigars. I'm not a fan of large ring gauges and that's what I came to love about the Magnum 46--perfect ratio of wrapper to binder/filler. About the biggest size I like is a classic 5x50 Robusto. 

See if you can get a box of montecristo especial no 2, montecristo especial, or trinidad fundadores. 38 ring gage, and long smokes. Definitely different than anything else being suggested, and certainly excellent. I have a box of each of the three, and I can't decide which I prefer, so I'd suggest get whichever one you see in Stock. 

Regarding alternatives to the BCG, if you are talking size wise, and consider a double corona to be similar to a julieta no 2, I love punch double coronas.  The lusitania was also just up on a 24 23 sale for a song, and who doesn't like a good lusitania?

If you are talking flavor and strength, you might try a ramon allones Gigante or Churchill. Both very good ones. 

1 hour ago, dominattorney said:

Regarding alternatives to the BCG, if you are talking size wise, and consider a double corona to be similar to a julieta no 2, I love punch double coronas.  The lusitania was also just up on a 24 23 sale for a song, and who doesn't like a good lusitania?

Like I said earlier, I think I'm probably going to go for the BCGs since the Winnie is out of stock. I've got some Lusis and they're reserved for the special-est of special occasions now--they truly are something special, especially with 9 years on them. I think if I really stretch things out, I could get a box of BCGs and a tenner of Monte DEs for what I have available to spend. I'm not a huge Monte fan these days, but the DEs I've had have been exquisite smokes.

I'm actually surprised and somewhat saddened by the scarcity or discontinuation of 47 and lower RG cigars.

Welcome to the club of sad people.

I've never had a BCG before. What could they be compared to? Longer version of the BBF or RC? How would they stack up to the Sir Winston or Esplendido? Or a Padron 1964, for that matter?

For me, recent BCG are rich milk chocolate, slight earth and slight leather, all perfectly balanced. I don't think any other Bolivars are as strong in the milk chocolate aspects. It's quite similar to the Montecristo milk chocolate. It's been awhile since I've had either a BBF or BRC, but the BRC has been a much lighter/mellower smoke for me. The Boli Tubos (especially the No 3) have a much stronger earthiness than the BCG. The BPC has much more leather. The BCJ is earthy and slightly leathery, but has an added fruitiness not found in other models anymore, but present in many 20 years ago. Right now, the BCG blend with all of those notes in such great balance is just magical. There is not one puff devoid of flavor, and the cigar keeps you engaged as a great cigar should.

I would also say it's a "heavier" blend than the CE or HUSW. The SW can be excellent, but they're rare as hen's teeth at the moment. And the Esplendido's price point coupled with the age it invariably needs makes the BCG the choice for me. Also, I would not call the BCG strong. It's a solid medium-strength smoke. It's just very rich. For contrast, I would classify the Boli Tubos as medium-strong--especially the No 3. The last BRCs I had I'd classify as under medium strength. So I would say it won't have the pure strength or power that some NCs have, particularly some Padrons. But the BCG is so much more refined than those. Were talking a whole step up in class. 

If you like the Julieta 2 format, 15/16 BCG is just too good to not be in everyone's humidor. Esplendidos will always be around, and will always cost double. The SW just isn't around right now. And seeing as how these are probably gone by the end of the year, anyone who can get them should, and at least a few boxes of what will surely be a classic high-90 point, if not 100-point, cigar in 5-10 years.

• Like 2

Pretty well cements my decision to go with the BCGs, then. And I just don't get the in-FAT-uation with horsedong vitolas. A B&M near me had a box of 72RG x 6+ by the register. I won't smoke anything over a 52 and it bloody well better be spectacular at that. Even the #2s, I'll cut them right at the very tip--meaning a very strong smoke--just to avoid the sore jaw that 90 minutes with a big cigar will give.

3 hours ago, Jersey Devil said:

What are the Esp and Esp #2? Not familiar with either.

montecristo especial 1 and 2 but those are only 38 RG since youre looking for something over 42 I would go for the montecristo no 1 but definitely never rule out the especial no 1 its my favorite of all time don't be afraid to go below the 42 RG to me its pure magic (im still hoping for the day the small RG's make a LARGE return) come on HSA make my dream come true bring back the 28RG and 33 RG!!!!!! - more options for the 33

• Like 1