New Box storage

Hi Everyone,

I was browsing the forums here and ran into the thread about beetles and cigars. Now I have something new to worry about besides humidity and temperature. I have full sealed unopened boxes stored in my humidor for a few months now and I am wondering weather I should have opened them to check for beetles before storing them or if I should open them regularly to check for the same? I always thought that keeping a sealed box sealed is the best way to store cigars until you want to smoke them. Can you share your approach and opinion on dealing with sealed boxes when you buy them and if you do a visual check on the cigars regularly please?

Thanks

Andre

I always inspect every stick in a box before placing it in my humidor. I also check my entires inventory once a year just to be safe. one of the biggest reasons being if I receive a box from a vendor with beetle holes (which I have) then you really need to contact your vendor asap in order to get a refund or whatever. There would be nothing worse then opening a box after a few years and finding it has turned to sawdust....

Andre:  Welcome!  If you're purchasing from solid, legitimate vendors, cigar beetles are of little concern.  Nevertheless, it's always good to be vigilant and to periodically check your stock.  IMO it's not at all necessary to store sealed boxes.  In fact, you want to open all boxes and inspect your cigars upon arrival before placing in your humidor.  Also, if you're comfortable with the vendors from which you purchase I would advise asking them to open and inspect all boxes prior to shipment.  I hope this helps.  

You're taking a huge risk by not opening and inspecting, and, depending on source, freezing prior to introduction to your humidor, imho.  Most reputable vendors open and inspect prior to shipment, but I inspect all cigars in the box upon receipt.  I just recently received a box of HU Mag 46's which had supposedly been inspected by the vendor, and the top row looked fine, but the bottom row had three cigars with beetle holes. 

I also go through my entire stock twice a year and inspect every box. 

Typically my new boxes are opened and checked either by my vendor or by me if buying in Cuba. I put them in a ziplock for 30 days and then check them again and then feel confident leaving them in the humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As been said you need to crack open all your sealed boxes to inspect the cigars. They could have beetle holes, white mold, you will never know not having a visual inspection Now in my case, I always freeze my new boxes in a commercial grade freezer -10 F, as an added insurance measure for 48 hours. Have never seen a beetle or damage to any cigars since.

Thanks everyone. I am glad there is consensus on this one. I did open all the boxes and checked all the cigars, it looks like I am safe except for 1 cigar with a small pin hole. Should I be worried? I think I will do the freezer thing to be safe.

sealed unopened boxes............from a vendor in Canada?

Whoever he is he is not your friend if he sold these to you unchecked.

No one has mentioned to keep your temp and humidity in range to prevent just the problem you are concerned about ............:o 

welcome aboard andre and definitely open up all boxes and always check at least once then put them away and check periodically let us know about the 1 cigar with a pin hole? seems unlikely for beetles for 1 cigar ?

I hope I am being paranoid. I pulled out the cigar again, my description was not accurate, the area i question is bigger than a pin hole. I am attaching a picture. I have quarantined that cigar.

DSC_0099.JPG

1 hour ago, garbandz said:

sealed unopened boxes............from a vendor in Canada?

Whoever he is he is not your friend if he sold these to you unchecked.

No one has mentioned to keep your temp and humidity in range to prevent just the problem you are concerned about ............:o 

No, all purchased overseas while I was on vacation. I should mention not from the street or shady stores but they never mentioned to open the box to check it. Probably my doing because I asked for sealed boxes. Part of the learning process I guess. I didn't realize I could be importing a zoo when I bought them.