Long Term Storage at 75F

I asked this in the humidor section but no response, so figure i try here. I have found myself back in the hobby again and want to store boxes (about 30) ... not really long term aging necessarily. But having a rotating stock with about 5 yr of age.

In my area it is too expensive to cool the house to 70 in summer not that my cold blooded  wife would allow me. :)

About 4 months of the year it is about 75F in my house.... and in the winter around 67F.

Excluding worries about beetles, any negative affects storing cigars this way? I would have to adjust the RH to account for temperature fluctuation. But i guess increased temperature would possibly accelerate aging?

Is this a stupid question? Lol..

I've done it for near 20 years down here in the heat of the south. Just keep a steady RH and they'll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My situation is opposite, but the same idea.  In the winter we crank the heat for the kids and the temp in my humidor moves to between high 60's  and 73  and in the summer it is around 67 because we use the AC a lot. I adjust the humidity accordingly and have no issues.  Never saw a beetle in the 15 years or so that I have been into CC's.  I don't freeze either (not sure if that is foolish)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I've done it for near 20 years down here in the heat of the south. Just keep a steady RH and they'll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live in Florida and echo Phil's comment.  The hygrometer in my desktop humidor usually reads 77F (my rH is 61) and I've not had any problems.  

For box storage I use a wineador, which I keep at 66F and ~62rH.  The wineador is a cost effective solution if you prefer to keep cigars at cooler temperatures.  It does, however, require some trial and error to achieve a stable rH level, as the thermoelectric cooling system will push rH higher over time if not mitigated by an effective desiccant.

• Like 2

I agree with mahdoorow above. If it worries you, buyou a wineador. I have one of these in my office, though it's really just a wine cooler with cigar boxes and a cigar oasis in it. Coworker was throwing it out. You can find one for under 300 bucks most places. I saw a 40 bottle wine cooler at Sears for 150 last weekend. Otherwise, I agree with Phil that you don't need to worry about the temperature all too much. However, I would add a caveat to that, which is if it gets over 80 you might see mold unless you are careful with the rh. If the rh is low to mid 60s however, you shouldn't worry. 

• Like 1

I keep the rh around 62% and don't pay much attention to room temp usual variation.
No issues in 15 years.

Regards.

first of all there are never stupid questions, only stupid answers LOL

I have had similar issues as well in the summer months I even keep  my smokes at 72F the key Is the humidity if your temps are In the 70s try for a 58RH-60 RH been doing that for over 10 + years and my sticks are smoking wonderfully in fact as I type this I am smoking a 12 yr old party d4 keep at those conditions and wow its perfect wood cedar salty and orange fruit and cream even young they are amazing just less spice kick after 12 yrs

Thanks for all the response. Weighing the pros and cons as well as cost when it comes to storage.

The only draw back of fluctuating temp for me is the fluctuation of water content of the cigars themselves. I find that i like a fairly narrow range of percent water content in relation to taste and optimum burn.. having fluctation of temp for me makes this a bit of a moving target.

And of course, the original question i asked on its impact of relative sort term aging...

2 hours ago, Dave001 said:

is your RH relatively stable? say within 3-5%?

Yes, i can maintain rh very well. It can climb a little higher than i like during the winter rains... 2% higher sometimes. At around 67F about 63% rh produces the best tasting and burning cigars for me...so 65 or more is a little wet..

Again thanks for all the responses. Currently im am utilizing OLH but at one point want to store more boxes at home. 

... I would say no problem at all.

Just remember one thing. Percent moisture content is based on a combination of temperature AND humidity. So as things change, lets say you start moving up in temperature, if you already store on the dry side, consider adding some water and bringing the rH up in your humidor. I would say about 1 rH per 3 to 4F should get you started. This way if you are particular about how you store and have a good handle on PMC conditioning in one season, you can get out in front of it and not surprised by it when the season changes. If you are not too sensitive to water content... Don't worry about it!

Cheers! -the Pig

• Like 2

Well it seems like the consensus is that storing in conditions that fluctuate like mine is not a problem. :)

9 hours ago, PigFish said:

... I would say no problem at all.

Just remember one thing. Percent moisture content is based on a combination of temperature AND humidity. So as things change, lets say you start moving up in temperature, if you already store on the dry side, consider adding some water and bringing the rH up in your humidor. I would say about 1 rH per 3 to 4F should get you started. This way if you are particular about how you store and have a good handle on PMC conditioning in one season, you can get out in front of it and not surprised by it when the season changes. If you are not too sensitive to water content... Don't worry about it!

Cheers! -the Pig

However, as i mentioned earlier and piggy has as well... i am a bit senitive to water content. Thanks piggy for the correction factor of rh to temp change. For the past year i have been changing the rh with the season temp change... but this gives me a guide to go by.

This winter was unusually wet and im having a hard time drawing water out of my cigars. In the summer the ambient rh is low enough that hitting my desired water content range is not a problem.