Buy a humidor ? or build?

With the bad influence this place is ;) , I'm thinking of a decent size humidor. Something in the size of a Whynter 251 . Now that said, is something like this decent? I have thought of building/repurposing an old ice box etc, but really don't want to spend the time I guess. So  really the question is, is something like the above a decent humidor? I really don't want to use a cooler, etc, as I don't think the temp will be consistent enough in my house.     

If you are relatively new to cigars, I would suggest two things. Start with a cooler!

I say this never owning one, but building sophisticated controlled humidors as a sideline. Simpler is better, if your ambient supports your tastes and desires as a 'humidor administrator.' You can always undo cooler project without much loss.

The next comes to analyzing your environment. One must assess how ones own ambient is going to affect your cigars and your smoking experience. If you don't have a position or beliefs today, I say why force your own hand? Unless you have a great enough understanding of cigars and ambients to know that you will be facing problems, especially ones that can cost you your cigars, or prevent you from smoking in months where you cannot control the condition of your cigars, a decision for more complex storage my be a costly exchange for lack of knowledge.

Storage and how people store is steeped in beliefs and there are certainly ample doses of myth surrounding the subject. Take some time to learn and understand what you can expect to get for your money.

My specialty is controlled cigar microclimates. They can be costly and complex... If you need it, there is no doubting it... If you don't then the money you spend on storage can be spent on cigars instead. You don't need a backhoe to pot a plant... Needs and wants will both play roles. Understanding both is my best advice before you spend the money.

Best of luck on your search! -the Pig

• Like 2

I agree with Mr. Pig. Start with a cooler. Add some Spanish Cedar inside as well. And if you are going to be cutting the Cedar. Make sure you wear a mask over your mouth and nose. That Cedar dust is nasty on your breathing

• Like 2

Great advice given here. My cigars are in a bedroom with heating and
A/C. They are in foam gasket sealed 'Tupperdors ' of various sizes that stack on one another and take up minimal space. Beads or Bovedas control the humidity of each container (depending on its size). These containers are extremely effective in maintaining humidity. They are inexpensive. The temperature control was 'free', since that room had heating and A/C before there were any cigars in it. The potential space available to store cigars in that room is much greater than any stand alone unit I'm likely to buy. IMO I can spend the money saved on more cigars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

If I were you, I would start the coolidor/wineador project instead of buying desktop humidors as others suggested since coolidor and wineador are not only have more storage spaces but also efficiency than desktop humidors. Here is my project and feel free to use it as a reference (you can modify it depend on your preference) ;)!

Wineador

• Whynter CHC-122BD Elite Touch Control Stainless Cigar Cooler Humidor
  • 2x Whynter CHC-122BD Spanish Cedar Drawer
  • Whynter CHC-122BD Spanish Cedar False Front Drawer
  • 3x 3" Stainless Steel Cabinet/Drawer Bar Pull
  • 6x Short Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends
  • 3x Long Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends

Coolidor

• Coleman Xtreme Marine 150 Quart 6 Cooler
  • Kingsford Original Charcoal
  • 3x Custom Spanish Cedar Tray
  • 6x Short Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends
  • 3x Long Spanish Cedar Divider with Felt Ends

Fan

• 2x Thermaltake Mobile Fan 12
  • Any Dual USB Wall Charger

Humidifier

• 8x Boveda 320 Gram 84% RH Humidor Seasoning Pack
  • 8x Boveda 320 Gram 65% RH Pack
  • 4x Boveda 320 Gram Mounting Plate
  • 2x Boveda 75% RH Hygrometer Calibration Kit

Hygrometer

• 4x SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer
  • Like 1

To the OP, great advice given above. Explore and develop your interests and knowledge, then refine and work from there as you hone in on your hobby. There is much to learn about, but far too many of us are absorbed and engrossed with perfect climate control - a habit that can be costly and extremely time consuming. Depending on your obsession, it can develop into a major preoccupation, or simply a minor concern in the greater context of enjoying cigars. Jumping in too soon without first discerning how deep you want to dive into your hobby could be wasteful and more expensive than you ever bargained.

It may be important to note that most of the concern about temperature control is driven out of fear of cigar beetles. Is this why you're considering a temperature controlled humidor? If so, note that in nearly 25 years of collecting cigars I've only ever seen one in my humidor and it came from a questionable non-Cuban source. There are far cheaper and more practical means to attain peace of mind and prevent an outbreak. Take it from a seasoned collector with Haier wineador that has been unplugged for 15 years, you don't need temperature control to enjoy cigars. Focus on the best means to keep your humidification stable, and consistent throughout your humidor. Then later when you have some experience sampling cigars are various humidity levels you can decide if you want to dive deeper into the world of sophisticated temperature and humidity control. 

To @Realmikemeadows, I have worked on my beer fridge and have replaced most things that can go wrong in modern fridges. At $30 that fridge is a steal, even if it needs a new compressor, but chances are very likely that it is something much less involved. They are very simple devices. Often, if a fridge won't cool it is likely a relay/capacitor switch for triggering the compressor, or a temperature sensor. In rarer cases it could be the logic board. Once you have it you can test for these things relatively easy, and you will find a lot of content on the Internet to diagnose your specific model. 

Honestly, for $30 I would buy that and leave it unplugged. It will make a great humidor without the cooling. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Realmikemeadows said:

Just picked this up on Craigslist. For 30$ it's worth a shot. Guy says he thinks the condenser is bad. Anyone ever replaced one? Easy or no?08dfcfd055775ccec7e1fd158072cba9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nice find!

Thanks for all the great replies! I guess the reason I didn't think about using a cooler, was the fact I would have to tuck it away somewhere for one. And our house is an older post and beam style place with lots of windows, so temp can vary a far bit up and down during the day. I was hoping that maybe a coolidor would keep it more even, with the ups and downs. We also don't have great A/C and 75 deg is common in the summer. I can't really use the basement, as Its too cool in the long winters here. Hard decision.......

Just my .02, I was at the same fork in the road as your are currently at BellevilleMXZ. I was concerned because I have my thermostat programmed to raise/lower the temp in my home when we are not there. After basically getting the same replies as you have, I decided to go for the cooler and heartfelt beads. I am very glad I did, at this point of my collecting I much rather be spending the money on growing my collection. After doing some research on coolers and the insulation testing they do (ex: how long the cooler will keep ice) I have been able to keep a rock steady temp and humidity in mine. If you are extremely worried about high temps, you can get a marine cooler which is rated to hold temperatures for a longer time. My reasoning for the cooler was if I ever decided to get a huge cabinet or expensive automated system (like pigfish's systems) you are not out a huge amount <$50 USD and you can always use it for overflow! 

Anyways good luck on your choice, you can't go wrong with either!

Happy smoking and long ashes to you!

• Like 1

Newair 281 and heartfelt beads here. I have to deal with pretty hot summers so I opted for wine cooler. Running for around 2yrs. No real issues. I'm not testing the crap out but I'm happy with what I have and it stays pretty consistent from what I see. I would recommend 2 shelves and a full width singles tray with compartments. 

• Like 1

If I knew now what I knew then, I wouldnt have bought the tower & just stuck with coolers. No maintenance...never goes above or below 65, best "set it & forget it" system ever, but I wasn't wise and didn't listen to my peers, and I have both.

Eventually you're gonna make up your own mind, but I beg of you to go the cooler route, you will be so much happier in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 2