the greatest NFL team of all time

got sent this. needless to say, as far as i am concerned, it was never in doubt.

the sad part is that this is the team from my time in DC and i simply assumed it would ever be thus...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25228031/identifying-the-best-single-season-team-in-every-nfl-franchises-history

http://was.247sports.com/Bolt/This-Reds ... r-38012543

'06 Colts (kidding, I grew up there). Besides everyone's opinions on which team in history is the best, I think it is undeniable how impressive what the Pats have done the past 15 years under Belichick. For the record, I disdain the Pats.

i am purely the messenger (even if the message is one of truth and light).

there are, of course, any number of ways of coming up with this. they have this system (and given it appeals to me, i am 100% behind it) but undefeated is hard to argue.

i was in awe of those 85 bears. loved them. but amazed to see they were not even rated as chicago's best team.

6 hours ago, ShortFatHokie said:

IMO, tie between the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears...the rest are playing for third place...

Each generation has it's own claim to "best NFL team in history".  As the game has changed and evolved over the decades it becomes increasingly difficult to compare teams from different eras.  That being said, I have to agree that in my lifetime the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears are at the top of the list.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jschrader510 said:

'06 Colts (kidding, I grew up there). Besides everyone's opinions on which team in history is the best, I think it is undeniable how impressive what the Pats have done the past 15 years under Belichick. For the record, I disdain the Pats.

Oddly enough, the 06 Colts that won the Super Bowl were probably the 3rd best Colts team of the Manning era at best, behind 09 and 04.  Funny how that works out.

For me the 85 Bears are still the gold standard.  07 Patriots may have been better, even if they ultimately lost.  But consider what it took to beat them (the most ridiculously fluky play in the history of the Super Bowl), and what they did to everyone else they played that year.  Any of those three Cowboys teams that won it in the 90s or the 94 49ers would also be in the discussion.

2 hours ago, wabashcr said:

Oddly enough, the 06 Colts that won the Super Bowl were probably the 3rd best Colts team of the Manning era at best, behind 09 and 04.  Funny how that works out.

For me the 85 Bears are still the gold standard.  07 Patriots may have been better, even if they ultimately lost.  But consider what it took to beat them (the most ridiculously fluky play in the history of the Super Bowl), and what they did to everyone else they played that year.  Any of those three Cowboys teams that won it in the 90s or the 94 49ers would also be in the discussion.

The '09 team that lost to the Saints was absolutely better, except for Tracy Porter housing that Manning pass at the end. Bittersweet for an IU alum.

easy question, heres your answer : 1986 ny giants of course (ok this was a very biased opinion) LOL

but still its the 1986 GIANTS!!

UNBEATEN in a season there is only one team that has ever done it - '72 Dolphins ;)

the article was about the greatest team, not the greatest result.

fully agree that unbeaten is a strong factor but the pats who lost to the fluky play, as mentioned above, won more games, 18 i think. compared to 15 for miami, again i think. the 91 skins won 17 and only lost two, by 2 and 3 points with one of those a game where they rested most of the starters.

if undefeated was the only criteria, then sure, but should it be? merely asking the question. if i was to attempt an answer, i would say it should be a a very strong component of the decision but not the only factor.