Supplying cigars for a dinner...

A fairly mundane question but just wondering your opinions. 

Going to be smoking some cigars in Vegas with a handful of customers who enjoy cigars but they are not that verse on Cuban cigars yet they love them.

I was going to pack a selection for myself and then take 10 or 15 cigars to allow others to smoke.  My first inclination was to just take two different robustos and let everyone pick. Problem here is you can never predict what people will want or if some rave about their cigar the others doubt their selection.

My other thought is just to take a full box of Bolivar Royal Coronas or Hoyo Epi 2 and everyone smokes the same like it or not....also this will make for better presentation and discussion at dinner. This is what I've pretty much decided is best. Thoughts?

As I said not a life or death discussion. Just wondering what consensus was.

I'd go with the full box of the same. Pretty sure they would all appreciate it and this way there is no issue with who gets what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I mean buy ONE 50 Cab and pass it around and let everybody select their own cigar. The presentation of a 50 will earn you a baller reputation, especially since they don't make them anymore. (Sorry I just can't stop) 

1 minute ago, aes8 said:

pass it around and let everybody select their own cigar.

Yeah thats what I'm going to do with a box....just not a 50 cab. I agree that being able to hold the box and pick your own cigar is more special especially at a dinner specially for guys that don't ever smoke cubans. I'm bringing a box of chocolate BRC's.

Now to go pick what I'm going to smoke for 6 days. The stress of it all...LOL 

I would say take BRC and take half the box of Petite Edmundos you like so well.  I am sure you'll be smoking them after dinner and the PE would be the perfect after dinner smoke for your clients.  I believe people who don't smoke much may find a BRC a bit overwhelming.  The Monte PE's would be good for someone who doesn't smoke a lot.  Give your clients who have some experience a BRC and ones who don't a PE.  The PE may turn them immediately into CC lovers. 

• Like 3

I think the Epi 2 is a great choice, but if you don't know if there are going to be a lot of cigar smokers, or there are novice or first-time smokers, I'd perhaps recommend a cab of Du Prince so that there's a smaller option for those who would prefer that. Nothing worse than seeing a Robusto smoked for an inch and then abandoned. Also, if there are any women in attendance, they may be more inclined to partake in a Petit Corona rather than a Robusto.

And I realize that it will result in more leftover cigars--but that's the idea! If you don't have any Epi 2 or Du Prince on hand yet (and you really should), here's your chance to stock up!

• Like 1

One box, same for all, would be my suggestion. But perhaps a more recognizable and distinctly Cuban brand like Montecristo or Cohiba or RyJ may be more appropriate for folks who are not experienced in Cubans. In a choice between HdM or Bolivar, I think Bolivar is more distinctly Cuban, so go with BRC.

• Like 1

I think the Epi 2 is a great choice, but if you don't know if there are going to be a lot of cigar smokers, or there are novice or first-time smokers, I'd perhaps recommend a cab of Du Prince so that there's a smaller option for those who would prefer that. Nothing worse than seeing a Robusto smoked for an inch and then abandoned. Also, if there are any women in attendance, they may be more inclined to partake in a Petit Corona rather than a Robusto.

And I realize that it will result in more leftover cigars--but that's the idea! If you don't have any Epi 2 or Du Prince on hand yet (and you really should), here's your chance to stock up!

No women and of the people smoking cigars they are all experienced smokers. I might take some RASCC just in case.

I do have a box of Epi2 with only 2 missing

No women and of the people smoking cigars they are all experienced smokers. I might take some RASCC just in case.

I do have a box of Epi2 with only 2 missing

I really appreciate everyones input on this silly question. I have gone round and round and spent more time planning this than I did packing clothes for 7 days.(Maybe a candidate for campW)

At one point I had 15 sticks (5ea BRC, Regio, Hoyo2) in the Cigar Caddy but that presentation isn't good IMHO, I had a 1/2 box of Regios and a 1/2 box of BRC, I had a 23 Cab of Epi2 (harder to fit in carry on).

I'm going with a box of BRC. Its a full box...they smell out of this world and look like this....my only regret is I'm sharing them. LOL Luckily my CFO will be smoking and these will go on the expense report! 

Hope one of you guys stumble in...

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076-1.JPG

• Like 4

Doing this right might be a burden, so pardon my definition of 'doing it right.'

Newer smokers should be fostered and guided. I would suggest 3 cigars to select from. If you are more interested in the robusto, then one should certainly be your choice.

Prior to choosing, I would suggest a brief discussion about the Cuban cigar, lead by you. This should be an informal talk explaining the cigar, the custom, what to expect and what to do when you get it. Part of it should be a humorous dissertation on what not to do. You don't grab your host's best sipping tequila, and mix it with sweet/sour mix and spill it in the pool... now do you? Well, people should understand and resect the cigar custom, the same way.

If you bring 3 cigars, a robusto, a sub-petit coronas, and perhaps a club or chico, you will less likely be taken by waves of nausea as you pass by the ashtrays and see an inch burned off your favorite robusto smashed into them. You might mention that wasting a good cigar like this, taking more cigar than you will smoke, is an insult to your host (you), like leaving a plate full of food.

Explain that you have tried to pair cigars with likes and the fortitude of the smoker. Pick one of the chicos cigars for the novices and lesser interested, unless they expressly ask different. If they enjoy it, invite them back for a larger cigar.

Most people will take what is put to their face unless they are just anti-smoking. If they are of lesser interest, they will light it, take a puff or two, disappear and reappear without the cigar!!! If you don't care, that is one one thing, but if you do, and know yourself well enough that you will walk away from a scene like this unhappy, then you should do something about it.

I believe the discussion about the cigar will be a nice touch. It expresses your interest and knowledge and your passion for the subject. If done right, those that partake will benefit far more than a free cigar, but with a respect and understanding for it, and for those that partake in the custom...

Best of luck at your event. -Piggy

• Like 1

Doing this right might be a burden, so pardon my definition of 'doing it right.'

Newer smokers should be fostered and guided. I would suggest 3 cigars to select from. If you are more interested in the robusto, then one should certainly be your choice.

Prior to choosing, I would suggest a brief discussion about the Cuban cigar, lead by you. This should be an informal talk explaining the cigar, the custom, what to expect and what to do when you get it. Part of it should be a humorous dissertation on what not to do. You don't grab your host's best sipping tequila, and mix it with sweet/sour mix and spill it in the pool... now do you? Well, people should understand and resect the cigar custom, the same way.

If you bring 3 cigars, a robusto, a sub-petit coronas, and perhaps a club or chico, you will less likely be taken by waves of nausea as you pass by the ashtrays and see an inch burned off your favorite robusto smashed into them. You might mention that wasting a good cigar like this, taking more cigar than you will smoke, is an insult to your host (you), like leaving a plate full of food.

Explain that you have tried to pair cigars with likes and the fortitude of the smoker. Pick one of the chicos cigars for the novices and lesser interested, unless they expressly ask different. If they enjoy it, invite them back for a larger cigar.

Most people will take what is put to their face unless they are just anti-smoking. If they are of lesser interest, they will light it, take a puff or two, disappear and reappear without the cigar!!! If you don't care, that is one one thing, but if you do, and know yourself well enough that you will walk away from a scene like this unhappy, then you should do something about it.

I believe the discussion about the cigar will be a nice touch. It expresses your interest and knowledge and your passion for the subject. If done right, those that partake will benefit far more than a free cigar, but with a respect and understanding for it, and for those that partake in the custom...

Best of luck at your event. -Piggy

Great advice and I believe all in attendance are fairly knowledgeable cigar smokers I will definitely discuss offering irregardless also these will come out when the full dinner party of about 25 pairs down to my "crew".

As a bit of experiment I'll post how it went ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

A fairly mundane question but just wondering your opinions. 

Going to be smoking some cigars in Vegas with a handful of customers who enjoy cigars but they are not that verse on Cuban cigars yet they love them.

I was going to pack a selection for myself and then take 10 or 15 cigars to allow others to smoke.  My first inclination was to just take two different robustos and let everyone pick. Problem here is you can never predict what people will want or if some rave about their cigar the others doubt their selection.

My other thought is just to take a full box of Bolivar Royal Coronas or Hoyo Epi 2 and everyone smokes the same like it or not....also this will make for better presentation and discussion at dinner. This is what I've pretty much decided is best. Thoughts?

As I said not a life or death discussion. Just wondering what consensus was.

I've been in the same spot and i brought a box of PSD4. Everyone had the opportunity to talk about the same cigar. I had a mixture of regular cigar smokers and once in a while guys. 

• Like 1

One cigar to not show favouritism.  One cigar to not worry who gets what.  You'll won't have a lot of time to educate or teach, nor should you.  Pick a cigar and let them discover for themselves.  I do this all the time with custom roll farmies.  It's a sales/business function not a small herf (slight difference).  Make it light, make it fun, make it informal and just enjoy it. 

• Like 1

I think choosing the BRC over the HdM is good. It removes any confusion over Cuban vs NC Hoyos. I have a close friend and cigar smoker who says he smokes a lot of Hoyos, all NC, and will select a Cuban HdM From my humidor and comment extensively how this isn't what he is used to. Not the comparison isn't interesting...

• Like 1