My Wretched Team the Return (NFL)

It's been some time since posting about My Wretched Team...The Detroit Lions.  Their loss to Seattle was both predictable, and sad.  Let's see...Offensive line sucks, run game sucks, run defense sucks, pass rush sucks, secondary sucks.  That's a lot of sucking and not much hope of things changing anytime soon.  Meanwhile, division rival Packers and Aaron Rodgers put on a veritable clinic against the Giants, what else is new?  How did your team fare?

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Falcon's had their way with the Seahawks today...Now if the Packers (my team) can beat Dallas they come back here to Atlanta...I might have to call in a favor for a ticket for that one.  

If flights always had football games playing the world would be a better place. Oh and a Cigar lounge. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the Lions. Seattle is a tough place to play. 

I'm a Chiefs fan and we are hosting the Steelers this Sunday. They killed us earlier this year and I'm afraid it could be a similar outcome this weekend. Our run defense has gotten worse and our offense can only put together one good quarter a game. Steelers are back to their normal selves, unfortunately. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.

There's always the draft to look forward to I guess...:D

• Like 1

@sean3 I am a transplanted Detroiter in LA. The Motor City Kitties last wan an NFL championship on Jan 14, 1957; 2 weeks before I was born. Many years of hope yet letdown for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey, you made the playoffs. not all bad.

the only clever thing the skins did all year was to duck the playoffs and avoid that game in seattle. would not have been pretty. we've sacked our defence coordinator, thankfully. but might lose our offensive coach as well - at 30, he'd be the youngest head coach ever.

we have to sort out kirk. he is not perfect but someone is going to pay him the big bucks - more than he is worth. but if not us, we will have no QB. none likely at our draft spot.

we will lose at least one WR. i think everyone accepts djax will go - his speed is great but he gets injured regularly and is past 30. not a good combo for a bloke is skill is speed. hoping we keep garcon. love the way he plays.

free agency (we do have a fair whack of dosh though how much after kirk, remains to be seen) and draft MUST be heavily weighted to the defence. i believe that even after we paid norman $75 mill at the end of free agency last season, we were still miles behind the 31st team in spending on defence. what did we expect?

as for the games this weekend, houston looked good but the pats? don't see them topping brady and co. steelers looked good but injuries?

seattle pretty much as expected.

was concerned at how green bay started today - that first quarter stunk - but a great comeback and then ran all over them. woohoo! injuries could be a concern. how about that hail mary on half time. giants fans must have spat blood. and loved the clay matthews turnover. what were they thinking? heard odell prima donna punched a hole in the wall after the game. perhaps he couldn't get tickets tonight to go back to miami. still, punching a wall has to be better than headbutting a kicking net.

fingers and everything else crossed they do the same to the girls.

5 hours ago, MooseAMuffin said:

Sorry about the Lions. Seattle is a tough place to play. 

I'm a Chiefs fan and we are hosting the Steelers this Sunday. They killed us earlier this year and I'm afraid it could be a similar outcome this weekend. Our run defense has gotten worse and our offense can only put together one good quarter a game. Steelers are back to their normal selves, unfortunately. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.

There's always the draft to look forward to I guess...:D

You're boys are gonna have to find a way to stop Bell, that guy is really good!

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

hey, you made the playoffs. not all bad.

the only clever thing the skins did all year was to duck the playoffs and avoid that game in seattle. would not have been pretty. we've sacked our defence coordinator, thankfully. but might lose our offensive coach as well - at 30, he'd be the youngest head coach ever.

we have to sort out kirk. he is not perfect but someone is going to pay him the big bucks - more than he is worth. but if not us, we will have no QB. none likely at our draft spot.

we will lose at least one WR. i think everyone accepts djax will go - his speed is great but he gets injured regularly and is past 30. not a good combo for a bloke is skill is speed. hoping we keep garcon. love the way he plays.

free agency (we do have a fair whack of dosh though how much after kirk, remains to be seen) and draft MUST be heavily weighted to the defence. i believe that even after we paid norman $75 mill at the end of free agency last season, we were still miles behind the 31st team in spending on defence. what did we expect?

as for the games this weekend, houston looked good but the pats? don't see them topping brady and co. steelers looked good but injuries?

seattle pretty much as expected.

was concerned at how green bay started today - that first quarter stunk - but a great comeback and then ran all over them. woohoo! injuries could be a concern. how about that hail mary on half time. giants fans must have spat blood. and loved the clay matthews turnover. what were they thinking? heard odell prima donna punched a hole in the wall after the game. perhaps he couldn't get tickets tonight to go back to miami. still, punching a wall has to be better than headbutting a kicking net.

fingers and everything else crossed they do the same to the girls.

Gonna be interesting to see what the Skins do in the off season.  You're definitely right about Cousins and the cap space, he'll get paid big and eat up a lot of money.  Agree with you about Houston, they're gonna have their hands full with Brady.  How about that damn Aaron Rodgers, he's looking pretty scary right now! 

We're gonna have to see about getting you an Odell jersey, I can tell you're a fan!  :fuel:

5 hours ago, mrastigue said:

@sean3 I am a transplanted Detroiter in LA. The Motor City Kitties last wan an NFL championship on Jan 14, 1957; 2 weeks before I was born. Many years of hope yet letdown for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You surely know my pain...decades worth!

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

My two favourite teams are the Pats and Packers.  What a game by the Packers today.  Some exciting games next weekend.  Go Pats!

That's too easy, you need more misery in your life, might I suggest the Lions or the Browns!  :lookaround:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

We're gonna have to see about getting you an Odell jersey, I can tell you're a fan!  :fuel:

he is a talent, no question. but he is an idiot of the highest order. and i suspect there might come a day when he starts proving too disruptive in the dressing room and gets moved on.

that rubbish about flying to miami in the week before his first playoff game??? a wonder his head could fit on the plane. got what he deserved today. if i am a teammate who gives everything at practice and all season, i'd have been fuming to see that. you can say it made no difference but does his team believe he puts the team first? would coughlin have tolerated that? love to have seen him do that with mike ditka at the helm. or lombardi.

always remember charles mann saying that when he saw joe gibbs was always first in and last out every day, though actually rarely leaving the facilities, sleeping in a camp bed, "how the hell as players could we possibly give him anything less than our best". the result - superbowl wins. the result for odell and his teammates? blot.

as for an odell jersey, i'd have to make room in the drawer by burning my cowgirls collection!!!

as a parallel, back here, for the origin rugby league series (effectively the pinnacle of the game), a new coach put a curfew on the "emerging players" at their camp. a number, including stars (and remember that Queensland had won 9 of the last 10 series and was very keen to continue that) snuck out and got on the piss. new coach said thanks, we'll not be considering you until next year. that included a couple ofn players who were not even drinking, just went with their mates. think they won't take next year seriously?

23 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

Gonna be interesting to see what the Skins do in the off season.  You're definitely right about Cousins and the cap space, he'll get paid big and eat up a lot of money.  Agree with you about Houston, they're gonna have their hands full with Brady.  How about that damn Aaron Rodgers, he's looking pretty scary right now! 

ps - the one good thing for the skins is that this year we do have a lot of money under the cap. but we need it for others as well and defence. but bruce allen and scot M are masters at getting the best contracts they can for the team. i think we'll go big for him and it will hurt, but it will be as friendly as they can make it. there will be serious guaranteed money, though.

7 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

ps - the one good thing for the skins is that this year we do have a lot of money under the cap. but we need it for others as well and defence. but bruce allen and scot M are masters at getting the best contracts they can for the team. i think we'll go big for him and it will hurt, but it will be as friendly as they can make it. there will be serious guaranteed money, though.

The good thing is that you know what you're getting with Cousins, a pretty good QB.  I think he's young enough that he'll likely improve over the next few years before reaching his ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Sean3 said:

The good thing is that you know what you're getting with Cousins, a pretty good QB.  I think he's young enough that he'll likely improve over the next few years before reaching his ceiling.

i reckon that you've hit on the key point. he has really only had two years in the league. he will surely improve.

someone on a skins forum posted the below links showing how he compares to rodgers, brees and matt ryan after a similar period and he comes out pretty well.

that and the fact that we are starting again if we dump him. crazy. good QBs not that easy to come by.

a further point i often raise is that i doubt anyone puts joe T, doug williams or mark rypien in the elite class - all good QBs with strengths and weaknesses - and yet we won superbowls with all three. we need to build around kirk - the problem will be if he costs us so much that we can't. but if we do, we can win with him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kirkcousins/2 ... areerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattryan/310/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/ ... areerstats

Go Pack Go!

Wife is from Green Bay and I fought it as long as I could but all it took was going to a couple games back in the Brett Favre days and I was hooked.  

I tend to like/follow a team because of QB so luckily for me the Pack went from Favre to Rogers!

been a Raiders fan since Madden and the Ken Stabler days when they hit hard and kept hitting hard. It's a damn shame that Derek Carr got injured just prior to the post season playoffs or else I think they had a good shot going all the way. Raiders fell apart when they lost their QB. I just hope Carr heals 100% for next year as I think the Raiders have a great team. heck it's been 13 years since their last playoff and that long to build up to where they are now.

Green Bay looked pretty good last night..

10 hours ago, boopdeep said:

Texans had one of their few solid wins of the season. Now I'm preparing to get blown out next week by NE. 

Sadly, me too. I just hope the don't bring the lettermen jackets back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

Go Pack Go!

Wife is from Green Bay and I fought it as long as I could but all it took was going to a couple games back in the Brett Favre days and I was hooked.  

I tend to like/follow a team because of QB so luckily for me the Pack went from Favre to Rogers!

Two Superbowl winning QB's, and two of the best to ever play the position...an embarrassment of riches!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueClaw said:

been a Raiders fan since Madden and the Ken Stabler days when they hit hard and kept hitting hard. It's a damn shame that Derek Carr got injured just prior to the post season playoffs or else I think they had a good shot going all the way. Raiders fell apart when they lost their QB. I just hope Carr heals 100% for next year as I think the Raiders have a great team. heck it's been 13 years since their last playoff and that long to build up to where they are now.

Green Bay looked pretty good last night..

I used to love watching the Snake.  No telling what would have happened if Carr hadn't got injured, the future is bright for the Raiders.

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i reckon that you've hit on the key point. he has really only had two years in the league. he will surely improve.

someone on a skins forum posted the below links showing how he compares to rodgers, brees and matt ryan after a similar period and he comes out pretty well.

that and the fact that we are starting again if we dump him. crazy. good QBs not that easy to come by.

a further point i often raise is that i doubt anyone puts joe T, doug williams or mark rypien in the elite class - all good QBs with strengths and weaknesses - and yet we won superbowls with all three. we need to build around kirk - the problem will be if he costs us so much that we can't. but if we do, we can win with him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kirkcousins/2 ... areerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattryan/310/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/ ... areerstats

I was unaware of those stats, that's not bad at all.  I suspect next year will not go so well for the Lions if your Skins continue to progress.

8 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

he is a talent, no question. but he is an idiot of the highest order. and i suspect there might come a day when he starts proving too disruptive in the dressing room and gets moved on.

that rubbish about flying to miami in the week before his first playoff game??? a wonder his head could fit on the plane. got what he deserved today. if i am a teammate who gives everything at practice and all season, i'd have been fuming to see that. you can say it made no difference but does his team believe he puts the team first? would coughlin have tolerated that? love to have seen him do that with mike ditka at the helm. or lombardi.

always remember charles mann saying that when he saw joe gibbs was always first in and last out every day, though actually rarely leaving the facilities, sleeping in a camp bed, "how the hell as players could we possibly give him anything less than our best". the result - superbowl wins. the result for odell and his teammates? blot.

as for an odell jersey, i'd have to make room in the drawer by burning my cowgirls collection!!!

as a parallel, back here, for the origin rugby league series (effectively the pinnacle of the game), a new coach put a curfew on the "emerging players" at their camp. a number, including stars (and remember that Queensland had won 9 of the last 10 series and was very keen to continue that) snuck out and got on the piss. new coach said thanks, we'll not be considering you until next year. that included a couple ofn players who were not even drinking, just went with their mates. think they won't take next year seriously?

Ditka may have taken him behind the woodshed for a "talking to".  I thought Ditka would have an aneurysm on more than one occasion he was so damn mad.  Your Rugby coaches sound like no nonsense kind of guys, could use some of that in the NFL.  As for the cowgirls...there is not a team I despise more, haven't liked 'em since Staubach was their QB.