SLR Regios

Newbie here!  I'm kicking myself for not finding this site sooner.... But anyway, I have this box of SLR Regios - ORG SEP 15.  The wrappers are strangely light colored, even slightly greenish....  They have a very ashy, nondescript flavor. In a word, terrible!  Will these improve with age, or did I get a box of duds?!

Thanks, mwaller

I gotta tell you mine look very similar but once rested the flavor is amazing.  I don't know where you get your cigars but if you are sure of your supplier than trust me they are going to be nice. How long ago did they arrive to you?

Note the Factory and Date Code on the box I am referencing! Same as yours.  See the color on a glorious box of dark BRC's?The flavor of the Regio is fantastic. 

fullsizeoutput_815.jpegfullsizeoutput_814.jpeg

Thanks for the replies!  Mine are almost peanut colored..?! This photo doesn't really represent how they look to the eye, though.  So, there is hope?  I've had these resting for about 2 months.  No concerns about authenticity.  

Thanks, Mwaller

IMG_20170106_172525459.jpg

Interesting you mention greenish wrappers. I've got a box of Upmann Half Coronas (OMS ABR 16) that have a definite greenish colour to the wrappers. Ugly little things. I've had a couple and they have mostly been underwhelming. Good construction but very muted flavours (they are no doubt young). I'm hoping they will see improvement in the next 6-12 months. 

Since you mentioned Upmann, I'll ask another newbie question.... I have a box of Connoisseur 1, some Coronas Major Tubos, some half Coronas from 3 packs, and a few No. 2 from a sampler.  All of them LOOK really great... But the taste?  Not so much.  Initially, I believe the problem was over humidification.  I was keeping them at 65-67; now I keep all CC at 62.  But still... I find the taste to be sharp and weedy... No at all like the rich coffee / Cocoa / nuts I might expect.   Do these just need time?  Mwaller

I just had one from the very same box code (ORG SEP 15).  When I first got them in last spring, I didn't care much for them.  But tonight's was very good.  Mine weren't as light-wrappered as you're describing though.  

- MG

• Like 1

The concern with Saint Luis Rey is not if they taste harsh, rather I'd be more concerned if they taste bland (I've had my share). For me, if they are strong, as in, a toasted tobacco flavour, you have hope that they'll settle. If they are bland, then there's no hope. I don't think that is the case here.

In regards to your Upmann, if all those sticks are tasting slightly bitter, it definitely may be over-humidification. You are going to need your cigars at 62rh for a little while to settle. How long? Only you can work that out for yourself. The main thing is, if you don't get improvement with your Upmann sticks at 62 rh, say within a few months, then be concerned. In the meantime, don't worry.

• Like 1

Happy to report that this stick left me with a much better impression of the brand.  From the first few puffs, I could tell that the awful over-humidified taste was gone.  The first 1/2 inch was characterized by a spicy mix if earth and leather.  Then, the cigar settled down into a pleasing creamy profile with a hint of sweetness.  At the halfway point, bitter and spicy notes started to ramp up.  As these continued to build, a hint of ammonia crept in.   That's when I called it a night...  So, clearly the cigar has a ways yet to mature.  But I did get a taste of the goods, so to speak. Thanks, mwaller

IMG_20170106_212620233.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mwaller said:

Those are beautiful!  Are they from a 24:24 sale, or "regular stock?"

Mwaller

They were from a Monday (AUS) clearance 24:24 event on 11/27/16 - were PE rated.  Nice box - haven't touched one yet not 60 days...

On 1/6/2017 at 8:59 PM, mwaller said:

Newbie here!  I'm kicking myself for not finding this site sooner.... But anyway, I have this box of SLR Regios - ORG SEP 15.  The wrappers are strangely light colored, even slightly greenish....  They have a very ashy, nondescript flavor. In a word, terrible!  Will these improve with age, or did I get a box of duds?!

Thanks, mwaller

Regios are a "good, but not great" cigar IMO.  There are definitely others in the Hermoso #4 category that I much prefer (i.e. HU Connie 1, VR Famoso, RyJ Ex. 4).  However, I doubt you have a box of duds.  Storing at a higher-than-recommended rH level is your likely culprit.  Reducing storage conditions to 62rH will definitely help.  And for for sticks that you plan to smoke in the near term you may want to store those at the 58rH - 60rH range.  Regarding the "slightly green" wrappers, don't sweat it.  They're fine.

As a side note regarding the H. Upmann #2... :2thumbs: :party: :perfect10: :clap::spotlight:.  Don't leave home without them!       

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, mwaller said:

Thanks, mwaller

I have an exact same box of SLR REGIOS - ORG SEP 15.  I got them about 2 weeks ago and they are in the humidor at 65rH.  Temps have been between 68F and 76F here. Tried two of them and without a doubt the most bland, flavorless CC I've smoked - and at 2 years aged, that fact is absolutely terrifying!

I went ahead and put a couple at 69rH; a couple at 72rH and a couple more dry boxes for smoking in the next few days.

Burn and draw were solid so I am weary that the problem is not humidity but just shit tabacco.

1 hour ago, Buck14 said:

I have an exact same box of SLR REGIOS - ORG SEP 15.  I got them about 2 weeks ago and they are in the humidor at 65rH.  Temps have been between 68F and 76F here. Tried two of them and without a doubt the most bland, flavorless CC I've smoked - and at 2 years aged, that fact is absolutely terrifying!

I went ahead and put a couple at 69rH; a couple at 72rH and a couple more dry boxes for smoking in the next few days.

Burn and draw were solid so I am weary that the problem is not humidity but just shit tabacco.

I would put other vitolas in there with the Saint Luis Rey Regios and if you find you prefer the others, then you know for sure that it's your palate. However, give it some time, at least 60 to 90 days to let them acclimatise a little!

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I would put other vitolas in there with the Saint Luis Rey Regios and if you find you prefer the others, then you know for sure that it's your palate. However, give it some time, at least 60 to 90 days to let them acclimatise a little!

That's exactly what I did, I put 3-4 other cigars in there in the 69rh, 72rH and dry box with the SLR REGIOS as controls.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 7:58 PM, JohnS said:

The concern with Saint Luis Rey is not if they taste harsh, rather I'd be more concerned if they taste bland (I've had my share). For me, if they are strong, as in, a toasted tobacco flavour, you have hope that they'll settle. If they are bland, then there's no hope. I don't think that is the case here.

Agree 100%, last box (5-6 years old) of Regios was so bland it felt like I was only pretending I'm smoking. I had to celebrate the end of that box by lighting up Fonseca Cosacos which was mild but at least it had flavor. 

• Like 1