Cuban cigars in Mexico

Anyone here bought Cuban cigars in Mexico? If so what are the prices like or how do they compare to Cuba's prices.

I have friends heading down (Mayan Riviera area)  at the end of the month and have offered to bring back whatever I want as far as cigars go.

I have a good idea what the Dante regional is going to cost but hoping to find some prices for my daily winter smokes.....BCJ, Partagas shorts, Upmann half corona

Any help with regarding prices of fairly recent purchases will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend against it. In terms of cost, quality, provenance, or any other measure there more preferable and reliable options. 

I was there a few years ago and even after visiting the LCDH in Cozumel, I was glad I brought my own.

• Like 1

Don't bother with regular production stuff....prices are comparable to Canada and Australia. At a LCDH, you'll be paying ~$40 for a Cohiba Robusto, $18 for a Montecristo No.4, $80 for a Montecristo 80th Anniversary, etc.. I learned the hard way....please bring your own cigars. If you don't have a budget and don't care how much you spend, then go for it. 

Very high tobacco taxes in Mexico drive prices through the roof. There are LCDHs in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, Mexico city as well. I have seen fakes in certain LCDHs, but everything at the cancun location appeared to be on the up and up this november. Great selection of singles, but painful prices. You can get much better quality for a much better price from other places. 

Not prudent to your question, but the LCDH in Cancun is a great spot to enjoy a stogie and some margs. Bringing your own is certainly recommended though and not frowned upon. Great location and staff. 

• Like 1

Definitely stop by and see the mojito man at the LCDH Cancun. He makes great mojitos or at least I felt that way. Smoked a couple regionals I couldn't find anywhere else while there too. Prices were high but it's to be expected in a tourist area with limited other legitimate choices if any.

High cigar prices. And beware of fakes, there are many. In 2006, I believe I paid $18 USD for Cohiba Robustos and $14 USD for Bolivar Royal Coronas. A 3 pack of Monte 2's were $51 USD. I'm sure prices are much higher now in 2017.

A friend on a cruise just called me from the LCDH Cozumel 2 hours ago.
They have Edmundo Dantes Conde 54 in stock .....
Wait for it......
Wait..
$4,000.00 a box !!!

Regards.

Agree with comments. Meant respectfully I treat Mexico pricing like Canada... recently bought me 3 Bolivar BF's in Canada for about $90 and enjoyed them and chalked it up as the price of doing business. I couldn't pull a trigger on a box but the singles I treated as a $19 glass of wine in a nice restaurant knowing full well the bottle is only $28.

I've posted about this before.  I visit Puebla (3rd largest city in Mexico) a few times a year.  

There are legit cigar shops.  The shops that only sell Cigars.  Those are good.  You can find them in high end shopping malls.  

Also Sanborns.  Its like a department store with locations all over Mexico City and Puebla.  They have a Cigar section.  It is hit or miss by location if they have Cubans.  

Liverpool in the Angelopolis mall in Puebla has a small Cuban Cigar supply.  The quality is not great as the conditions they store them in are bad.  They are located near the wine/fine food section of the store.  Liverpool is in many locations.  Perhaps you will stumble upon one.

Angelopolis also has a high end tobacco shop.  That is a good spot.

Best plan.. bring your own and take a look to see what is around.  High taxes, poor selection even when you find a specialty shop.  I always look around and find something I want to try.

Funny thing... I will be back there next week and will take pics and post about whats going on.

Warning, many fakes.  Especially in convenience stores.

• Like 1

Is there a place near México DF I'll be there in may

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's few lcdh in Mexico City, also I'll suggest a shop call El Cigarito ask for Gerardo awesome guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Has anyone been to Havana Bob's? If so, what are his prices like and also where is the best place to buy HC7 or Santiago de Cuba?

I visit Coz for a few weeks a couple times a year, always stop in to see Bob and his wife Vicky. Prices, like all of Mexico, are high. I'm a fan of his custom rolls and they are much more reasonably priced than regular production. He has a bar around the corner from the cigar shop as well. Nice place to stop for a mojito and a cuban sandwich, pretty well stocked humidor there also.

As far as the rum goes, you can find Havana Club in every grocery and liquor store on the island. Santiago, however, is harder to come by. If I remember correctly, La Europea may have had a few bottles when I was there back in May.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Did any place have the Ritual Rum? I'm going to Cozumel on a cruise in December. I know the prices of the cigars are ridiculously high for the regular production stuff, and only plan on picking up either LEs or REs if they have any at the LCDH or Havana Bob's. 

I don't recall seeing any of the Ritual on the last trip. I'm heading back down there in a couple weeks and will keep an eye out for it.

• Thanks 1