IMAGINE.......36 years ago today

It is so hard to believe that one of my musical heroes has been gone this long.  John Lennon was murdered 36 years ago today.  Imagine what could have been?:(

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, forgop said:

Beatles were before my time, but never a fan. They burned their records for good reason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

harsh..(and for no good reason)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

harsh..(and for no good reason)

agreed. even though i was a bit too young to appreciate what they did then. but people today have no idea how truly massive they were. nothing quite like it today. and how extremely influential. today, some of the music is a little dated but some is still terrific, but more important is the extraordinary influence they had on what was to follow.

• Like 2

I have always enjoyed the music the Beatles produced.  My wife and went to "Rain", which was a stage production of their music and it was fantastic.  I am not a "go to the theater" kind of guy but I really enjoyed it.  I was even dancing in my seat which NEVER happens.  That said, I remember vaguely when he was killed.  I was quite young.  For sure a music icon.

• Like 1

I've never been much of a Beetles fan
They say youre either a Beetles guy or a Stones guy
Unfortunately, I am neither

Still, regardless of what you think of his art, I feel Lennon was a great man that was taken from us far too early

• Like 2

Wow I cant believe the negative response to this post, probably the most negative I have seen on this forum.  The Beetles changed our musical landscape as we know it; therefore, if you like any music made in the last 40 years you should at least respect the Beetles.

Also John Lennon was an advocate and symbol for peace and unity.  Basically universal good.  

@forgop Apparently the moderators dont think this is censory worthy so I would suggest self sensoring your self by deleting your post.  Plenty of other places to be negative if you are having a rough day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I am not sure mods need to step into the fray on musical tastes :o

......otherwise I would have banned ken for overzealous Springsteen man love numerous times :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that :D

• Like 1

@forgop Apparently the moderators dont think this is censory worthy so I would suggest self sensoring your self by deleting your post.  Plenty of other places to be negative if you are having a rough day.

I wasn't negative of the OP, didn't bash him personally, or say anything horrendous. Are you not allowed to respond here unless you offer an agreeable standpoint to the topic?

Any forum that operates under an "I agree" principle is one not worth visiting. There's room for disagreement in a civil manner.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I am not sure mods need to step into the fray on musical tastes :o

......otherwise I would have banned ken for overzealous Springsteen man love numerous times :D

i'm just surprised any talk of bruuuuuuce has not been banned on the grounds that we are not allowed to post on religion. he is, after all,....

but yes, i disagree with the ultrs-critical post about the beatles and i think it very shortsighted. but people are allowed to be wrong about music. as the fact that bruce has not yet been knighted nor canonised, nor are schoolchildren required to chant 'born to run' before school every morning, proves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

as the fact that bruce has not yet been knighted nor canonised

you rail against the church and the crown, yet wish him canonised and / or knighted....

you can be a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

8 minutes ago, forgop said:

I wasn't negative of the OP, didn't bash him personally, or say anything horrendous. Are you not allowed to respond here unless you offer an agreeable standpoint to the topic?

Any forum that operates under an "I agree" principle is one not worth visiting. There's room for disagreement in a civil manner.

Of course there is room for all voices on FOH. You're not a fan, no probs, good enough. However, that last statement in your original post was not needed. Especially, considering the history regarding the burning of Beatles records back in '66.

• Like 1

I am not sure mods need to step into the fray on musical tastes 

......otherwise I would have banned ken for overzealous Springsteen man love numerous times 

LOL. I was watching a review earlier today and could hear Bruce cranking away to the left of Ken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

you rail against the church and the crown, yet wish him canonised and / or knighted....

you can be a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

ah colt. read the fine print. i said he wasn't. i didn't say i wished it. it would, for me, only be belated recognition from large chunks of society as to his extraordinary talent and that he has provided a soundtrack for our times. the shakespeare of our generation.

ps - he did get some gong from obama recently, i think? no idea what is was or why but undoubtedly thoroughly deserved.

35 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

ah colt. read the fine print. i said he wasn't. i didn't say i wished it. it would, for me, only be belated recognition from large chunks of society as to his extraordinary talent and that he has provided a soundtrack for our times. the shakespeare of our generation.

ps - he did get some gong from obama recently, i think? no idea what is was or why but undoubtedly thoroughly deserved.

Presidential Medal of Freedom. Bruce was one of the 21 people given the award a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, forgop said:

There is room for disagreement in a civil manner. But what in hell was the contentious point in question to disagree with? The OP was lamenting one man's murder in 1980 and his personal feelings on the matter. You poke your head in and take a dump on his sentiment. Your post was irrelevant and useless, not a civil disagreement. 

• Like 2

36 years, wow,

Music did change with the Beatles, there really wasn't anything like it that I knew of or had heard.

Elvis was already on the radio, but the music of the Beatles was like nothing else around, dance music with deep rocking beats and rhythm.

I believe the first 45 I ever bought was Day Tripper or Magic Carpet Ride (The Who), first Beatles album Rubber Sole.

Lennon continued to create great music as did the others,.

as the Girl On The Bus said "Music Is The Best"

• Like 1

I remember that night vividly.  I was 14 yrs old and Howard Cosell broke the news to the viewers during Monday Night Football.  

Doesn't feel like 36 years ago.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was wiring up a new house north of Brisbane and heard it on the radio on the way to the job.

John Lennon was a complex guy. He wrote some wonderful songs. Imagine will always raise a lump in my throat when I hear it but there was also evidence that he could be violent and abusive. I read a book about him and it was an eye opener.

Some of the most beautiful things can come from some of the most flawed of human beings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, busdriver said:

The Beetles changed our musical landscape as we know it; therefore, if you like any music made in the last 40 years you should at least respect the Beetles.

The Beatles were breaking up about the time I was exiting my larval form, so I didn't get to grow up and witness the powerful influence they had right at their moment.   As a music major (long since abandoned) and music lover I can certainly see the profound influence they had.  That is often lost on younger generations, which is a shame.  Regularly read about and discuss the amazing (and often ignored) genius of Ringo as a solid foundation for this group.  He was solid.  Each member was perfect in their roll.  They hardly seem like "rebels" now, but they ushered in a whole new world....