The Magnificent Seven (2016)

David88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk

Sorry I'm not sure how to embed a video here.

I know there are a lot of western fans so your thoughts on this would be interesting. I think it looks pretty good and has a good cast. However is this needed? I watched the original not that long ago and enjoyed it perfectly well without thinking 'this needs to be remade and updated'.

• Like 1

Hollywood should just dig a big pit, dump all the classics in it and have a big circle jerk to get it over with. On the bright side, at least Johnny Depp isn't playing an Indian. What did I just see though the remake of Blazing Saddles? Doesn't seem like much of a comedy.

Thanks Mika, technology isn't my friend!

no no no no no no!

no.

Does this mean you aren't excited Ken? The constant remakes are getting a bit tiring now, have movie-making executives totally run out of ideas? It would be interesting to see how many of these remakes actually make serious money, as I can recall more flops than gold mines (Poseidon Adventure, 47 Ronin and Rollerball are some that stick out in my mind)

Thanks Mika, technology isn't my friend!

Does this mean you aren't excited Ken? The constant remakes are getting a bit tiring now, have movie-making executives totally run out of ideas? It would be interesting to see how many of these remakes actually make serious money, as I can recall more flops than gold mines (Poseidon Adventure, 47 Ronin and Rollerball are some that stick out in my mind)

there are plenty that are done successfully but then that is when the first one didn't really stand out. if the first one works, leave it alone.

hell, they retire a great football player's number. retire that film. make another one.

i'm sure the new one will probably be fine and i'll probably watch it when it hits tv. but call it something else.

i mean, when they have to remake psycho, it confirms that western civilisation is stuffed.

I must agree with the statement that if something isn't broke, don't fix it!

Surely there are new ideas being written each day for a movie?

In regard to this remake however, the cast alone will make me watch it for sure.

The day they ever want to remake something timeless like The Good The Bad and The Ugly is the day I move to Pennsylvania and become a member of the Amish, forever giving up on television and movies.

• Like 2

The cast certainly is a big draw, Denzel Washington seems to be a consistently good performer and I find is normally worth a watch so I will go and see this if it comes somewhere near here.

I'm not sure if it is a lack of originality among script writers, or overly cautious and zealous producers who want a quick and easy money spinner?

The day they ever want to remake something timeless like The Good The Bad and The Ugly is the day I move to Pennsylvania and become a member of the Amish, forever giving up on television and movies.

it is the water drip theory.

last year, you might have said that if they remake the magnificent seven, you'd move.

next year?

it is the water drip theory.

last year, you might have said that if they remake the magnificent seven, you'd move.

next year?

Well next year I wouldn't know because by then I'd have already quit all technology and moved to Pennsylvania.

You can call me Brother Mika ;)

I hope and pray both these scenarios never happen!

• Like 1

especially the good/bad/ugly. now that would be an outrage!

You never know, they may end up remaking it using Scott Eastwood.... lookaround.gif You wonder why I used that emoticon? Perhaps you haven't seen him in Diablo?

He may look like his father but that's where the similarities stop IMO.

As a Korean, I for one herald the remake. It's about time we got a Western with proper Asian representation! History is full of Asian cowboys, and I'm tired of Hollywood ignoring their illustrious contributions to the early West.

/sarcasm

Seriously, I like to imagine the following conversation:

Ok, castings done.

Did you remember to get a black guy, an Indian guy, an Asian guy, a Mexican guy and a Middle Eastern guy?

Aww crap, we forgot the last two.

No worries, three is probably enough.

How should we dress the Asian guy?

Like a regular cowboy. This is a western, but we want to be inclusive and not offend anyone.

Oh, right. What about the Indian?

Uh, just put him in war paint.

• Like 3

especially the good/bad/ugly. now that would be an outrage!

Definitely....that would be an outrage. Clint Eastwood as Blondie (or the Man with No Name), Eli Wallach as Tuco and Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes. There can be no others to re-play these roles.
  • Like 2

Definitely....that would be an outrage. Clint Eastwood as Blondie (or the Man with No Name), Eli Wallach as Tuco and Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes. There can be no others to re-play these roles.

even worse, they'd probably use new music. that would make hollywood dead to me.

remakes - any other suggestions.

chris pratt in high noon. cameron diaz as his quaker wife.

tom cruise in citizen kane. actually, there are probably worse ideas.

taylor swift and melissa mccarthy in all the president's men. (it is a new era).

jack black in apocalypse now.

adam sandler in casablanca. with drew barrymore as ilsa.

charlie sheen in the godfather. with ashton kucher as michael.

hayden christensen in stars wars. oh whoops.

• Like 2

As a Korean, I for one herald the remake. It's about time we got a Western with proper Asian representation! History is full of Asian cowboys, and I'm tired of Hollywood ignoring their illustrious contributions to the early West.

/sarcasm

Ok, castings done.

Did you remember to get a black guy, an Indian guy, an Asian guy, a Mexican guy and a Middle Eastern guy?

Like a regular cowboy. This is a western, but we want to be inclusive and not offend anyone.

What about David Carridene in Kung Fu. Set in cowboy times. Surely he is Asian? jester.gif

• Like 1

/sarcasm

Ok, castings done.

I have to agree with you. Asians had a huge impact in Western America. Here is an article by a historian investigating the Asian influence in the TV Series Deadwood.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.truewestmagazine.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2006%2F06%2Fhose-team-1888.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.truewestmagazine.com%2Fdeadwoods-lost-chinatown%2F&h=400&w=600&tbnid=ewaA5NSz7zTBZM%3A&docid=grunI-q9suN8xM&ei=254bV9q3KMb4jgSnoI_oCA&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1304&page=1&start=0&ndsp=53&ved=0ahUKEwiake2lk6XMAhVGvIMKHSfQA40QMwgfKAEwAQ&bih=809&biw=1626

And who the real (Mr Wu) was. http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deadwoodcenturyawards.com%2Fimages%2Fwof%2Fwong_01.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deadwoodcenturyawards.com%2Fwall%2Fwong.shtml&h=250&w=185&tbnid=iAeFa9Mv0tsNmM%3A&docid=uiKIb5AMz9hsmM&ei=254bV9q3KMb4jgSnoI_oCA&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=3343&page=1&start=0&ndsp=53&ved=0ahUKEwiake2lk6XMAhVGvIMKHSfQA40QMwglKAQwBA&bih=809&biw=1626

How they Hollywood portrayed him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtsRadqqdU

• Like 1