What do you maintain your Temperature and RH level at?

CigarSeeker

I must have read so many different answers and opinions .. Since I have temperature control, I currently keep my temperature at around 65 F and RH at around 67... What do you currently keep yours at? What's really proper?

That's fine. 65/67 is okay. Don't over think it. My cigar RH range from 59-67, but it's due to my active fridge cycling period. It hovers 3/4 Of the time at 65/67 range. (It's an actual cigar fridge, not home conversion)

That being said, for passive storage 67 is fine for CCs. I have had non CCs crack at around 62-64 range, I guess they need to be wetter.

Also, you just need to smoke your stogies, if they are tasting good to you, yep. All's good. Don't try to science the **** out of it too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't have a hygrometer anymore. The temperature ranges from 16 to 19 Celcius. The cigars feel as a properly humidified cigar should. Whats proper? The one that you enjoy! ok.gif

• Like 1

Good instruments validate empirical experience. Stability allows one to quantify experimentation and the result of this process is wisdom!

There are many beliefs and myths involved in cigars and cigar storage. While there are both subjective and objective observations, why not move the some of the subjective to the objective if you have the capability?

Over decades of smoking, I have come to realize that the majority of maladies that the typical CC smokers experiences are do to two factors, his storage conditions and the construction of the cigar. If one operates from a datum, that the cigar once made is an individual and cannot be judged except through smoking, the only variables, one subjective and one objective, that can be changed post production, are time and water content.

You cannot change construction and tobacco content. The farmers, processors and rollers are 100% responsible for the tobacco content of the cigar and the cigars construction. Time and water content remain the only variables you as a smoker can control... A correlation of time and water content is wholly subjective. However if you smoke long enough, you may link a preferential taste to both. If you don't, well, buy one box at a time and smoke away in bliss!!!

For those that have correlated quantifiable variables to the smoking experience, THEY have the power to control those aspects if they choose to do so.

With that comes my answer. I store a 70F and 58 to 60rH depending on how my cigars are smoking. I have moved somewhat away from the 58 number. With real humidor stability, you can conclude if there is a link to water content and taste... I have done that and will continue to believe it until the day I die. I have been able to control water content with precision for enough years now, to believe that it is the single most important link to cigar smoking and taste, besides cigar construction.

Most of the posted numbers that others prefer is far to wet for my taste. As a result, I see them continue to bemoan all the problems that I used to have as a cigar smoker, which they apparently still have based on their posting of them.

-Piggy

• Like 2

I'm experimenting at the minute, temperature is steady at 69F and currently have most of my stuff at 62RH but I find cigars are a little on the dry side for my tastes. I've separated some sticks into separate tupperwares at 65rh and some at 69rh keeping the temperature the same and will be trying them over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Currently have a desktop humidor 100 count approx half full. Sitting perfectly with temp of the house at 69 F and currently at 67 RH. No issues so far with my CC and have been at this range for about 3 years now.

In my smoking humidor, it really depends on the temperature (which can be difficult to control. In the 20C I store at lower Rh then at 15C - I swing between 62 and 70 depending on temp.

The aim is of course to keep the water content stabile. Since I smoke regularly I can test if conditions remain good for smoking or not.

The aging stock is tucked away at 67Rh and around 17C.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personal preference and smoking satisfaction should ultimately determine your storage conditions... period.  Don't be afraid to experiment and don't 2nd guess yourself if your preferred storage conditions fail to receive the seal of approval from others who think they know better.  I say this from experience, as I was constrained for years by the "70/70" rule.  My local cigar shops always recommended 70/70, many cigars smokers I knew recommended 70/70, and many articles written by very knowledgable "cigar aficionados" recommended 70/70.  Who was I to question such a widely held and long-standing belief about the correct temperature and rH to store cigars?  Long story short, I did myself a severe disservice by blindly buying into it (even though my smoking experience often told me otherwise).  So whether it's 70/70, 70/60, 65/65, make sure your storage conditions work for you.  Happy smoking! :D