Preparing the Palate

I really don't do anything to "cleanse" or prepare my palate....but I have found what seems to pair well with smoking:

I'll usually have a small bag of cashews that i'll munch on a bit, with some lipton unsweetened pure leaf iced tea and/or a cup of coffee. Both tend to bring out good flavors....at least for me.

Then I break out the bourbon....usually Woodford Reserve, as i've found it pairs very well with many cubans that I smoke. So does Larceny. I prefer Blantons as my go to bourbon as a whole, but sometimes I find it a bit too sweet and smooth to pair well with cubans.

I recently did a tasting of several different boubons. I put Woodford Reserve near the top, but the winner for me was Evan Williams. It was smoother than the others. Bulleit Bourbon took 2nd place. Haven't tried Blantons though - I'll have to check that out. Interesting that you don't like to match smoother bourbons with cigars. Perhaps this will be an opportunity for me to finish all the rough ones lol. I have about 10 bottles with one sample missing from each. :)

I recently did a tasting of several different boubons. I put Woodford Reserve near the top, but the winner for me was Evan Williams. It was smoother than the others. Bulleit Bourbon took 2nd place. Haven't tried Blantons though - I'll have to check that out. Interesting that you don't like to match smoother bourbons with cigars. Perhaps this will be an opportunity for me to finish all the rough ones lol. I have about 10 bottles with one sample missing from each. smile.png

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Blantons. But sometimes some of my smokes, like a BBF, will overpower Blantons, while pair perfectly with Woodford. Try Larceny too....it pairs surprisingly well, and a very reasonably priced Bourbon.

• Like 1

Hmn - its definitely not a regular habit - but, hummn ahm, i've flushed my nose a few times with fysiological salt water!! Story was I had a bit of a cold and snot was in the way of having a much craved sitting, so fetched my yogi nose bottle - yeah, I know...

Pre-light, I don't do anything. During, I always drink something and for some reason it has to be more than water to break up the taste of the cigar and refresh my palate (coffee, iced tea, but mainly alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey or rum. The one thing I don't drink before or during are pales, IPA's and DIPA's. I love them and drink them probably more than anything else, but the bitterness doesn't go well with any cigar (for me).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned psychoactive medicine. One does not overthink the cigar but rather becomes one with the cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You . . . wear something when you smoke?lookaround.gif

See "how long you hold your ash" thread - I'm prone to ashing on myself - that could otherwise lead to disastrous consequences ;)

Depends...if my palate is clean as in i have not eaten anything for hours i will light up with no prep because that is when i feel i taste the most. However if i have eaten or there is remnants of flavour or whatever on my palate before smoking, i may drink water, or sparkling water, or something tart like apple juice. Coffee I usually only drink during smoke time. FWIW for me, my palate is the cleanest a couple hours after brushing my teeth in the morning....especially if i am feeling a bit hungry.

I like to smoke a cigar with a clear soda like Sprite etc.

Dry boxing is fine, but not dry smoking :)

Regards.

I don't do anything... The only real ritual that I have with cigars are the necessities of getting one, cutting it and lighting it.

On the other hand, if I am at a herf, or will be intentionally smoking several cigars in a day. I will bring peppermint candy (if I can remember). One or two of these will clear the way for the "next" cigar.

While I can move one cigar to the next, if I really want to enjoy the opening of a new cigar, I take a mint. It is like pickled ginger at the sushi bar...

Cheers! -Piggy

A tablespoon of curry powder...

I only suggest keeping your palate wet with a beverage... and avoid all hugely tannic wines, tar like IPAs, etc. Avoid super spicy meals as well. The best cigars I've smoked were always had in the morning following a nice breakfast or brunch.