Canadian ceder smell. HELP

Waah954

Hi

Got my hands on another humidor its a refrigerator unit.

Its made from complete canadian cedar which has a smell of a sauna room its overwhelming.

I have a couple of boxes in there and they have taken on that flavor :) yuck.

Any suggestions on what to do, get rid of some/most of that smell from the coolidor.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I understand its a different species of wood but there has to be a way to take the overwhelming smell down a notch.

Long exposure to sunlight can take down the aroma somewhat. Ideally, you should ditch that setup and find proper "Spanish Cedar". Not enough sunlight in winter to make a difference.

Varnish it, that will seal the wood and get rid of the scent

Perfect!

That way they will taste like varnish instead and you'll get a nice solid buzz when you smoke em!shead.gif

Like others said, cedar of any type is actually the wrong type of wood for a humidor. You can do what ever you want to try to take down the odor, but my Grandmas closet still smells like cedar and its been "airing out" since before I was born. You may be able to line it with the proper "Spanish cedar" (actually a type of mahogany) or use it to store cigar accessories and clothes.wink2.gif

• Like 1

Perfect!

That way they will taste like varnish instead and you'll get a nice solid buzz when you smoke em!shead.gif

Like others said, cedar of any type is actually the wrong type of wood for a humidor. You can do what ever you want to try to take down the odor, but my Grandmas closet still smells like cedar and its been "airing out" since before I was born. You may be able to line it with the proper "Spanish cedar" (actually a type of mahogany) or use it to store cigar accessories and clothes.wink2.gif

Your obviously a muppet who should not be let loose with more his playdoh. proper varnish when aired and cured will not give off any scent, lining over the top will mask it slightly but not stop the cigars being ruined as it won't stop the scent.

Lots of different Canadian cedar, chances are it's Western red cedar. Regardless, remove all traces of it. Clean it out and air it out for a week or two. Then replace with Spanish cedar (expensive) or mahogany (less expensive).

Guys i am looking for solutions not reminders that its the wrong timber...

I cant remove it, i can remove the shelves and replace by Spanish cedar but would that help ?

Here is some pics to explain further.

7b9fd8fa3420f53f87d0ddeca9c2c6fd.jpgfd20d162fd51eaec676a49bb2b40de7b.jpg

I've never heard anyone called a Muppet before! I'm loosing it

Hahaha, I was dying! Its a first for me too! rotfl.gif

You've already been told a solution - a good varnish.

I would toss the thing.

Varnishing or "sealing" the wood may prevent the bad odors from seeping out, but you will also loose most of the benefits of using the wood, such as the RH buffering and natural pest deterring properties. (I would assume that's a property of Canadian cedar as well, but I'm not sure)

I would assume that's a property of Canadian cedar as well, but I'm not sure

That is correct. Cedar like any cedar is a toxic wood to humans and insect. A lot of people who work with it regularly are allergic to the sawdust. In normal every day usage it's harmless. Personally I love cedar and love the smell of cedar but not for my humidor.

Guys i am looking for solutions not reminders that its the wrong timber...

I cant remove it, i can remove the shelves and replace by Spanish cedar but would that help ?

Here is some pics to explain further.

7b9fd8fa3420f53f87d0ddeca9c2c6fd.jpgfd20d162fd51eaec676a49bb2b40de7b.jpg

Using spanish cedar shelves in place of the Canadian Cedar will help. I would also recommend lining the interior with Spanish Cedar Veneer. If you trim it out nicely along the interior corners and edges you should be able to minimize any interaction between that outer wood and the inside of the humidor. Not a perfect solution, but hopefully better than where you are at now. As others have said, airing it out in the sunlight helps, but if its quality wood, that small will most likely never disappear completely.

A 2' x 4' piece of 10 mil thick Spanish Cedar is just under $30 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Veneer-24-48/dp/B001DT1VAK

Waah,

You could consider making accurate measurements of the interior. You can go to a plastics supplier and buy extruded ABS in sheets. I can give you pics if necessary!

You can buy this ABS (I use it in several thickness' in my products) in 1/16in. These sheets are really reasonable from a wholesale supplier.

With a ruler, square and a razor knife, you can scribe and cut exact fit parts to fit the interior of your humidor. Now this will not stop, smells from behind areas that you cannot cover! But you can seal up any visible space. You can adhere the plastic with a construction adhesive or marine adhesive.

I bond some inert poly products with marine adhesive. You cannot bond some of these items with a lot of convention glues, but ABS is not inert and is readily bonded by many processes.

Line the whole damn cabinet with the ABS and seal the seams. You are done... No more wood! No more wood smell.

I could likely cut this stuff in a few hours on my CNC, and have the job done in an afternoon. You, you could cut the product with a razor part through and snap break the lines. If you are careful and have some good measurement tools, rigid straight edges and a dozen blades, you too could do this in a day!

LMK and I can make you a little video of what you need to do! -Ray

^This !

I'd follow Ray's suggestion and shut it off completely. Varnish will tend to not fully block off the strong odor of canadian red cedar. As an alternative to ABS you may also consider making a nice Perspex (acrylic) lining. Dearer of course, but that way you would be able to keep the nice wooden look. Try and remove the tray supports that are mounted to the sides and line everything gap-free with full panels (most shops that sell, will offer cutting, but make sure they get the edges cut clean, unless you can DIY). Then you can remount supports made from acrylic as well, and still consider adding trays made of cedro.

A pity you've not gotten here before ordering... still the craftsmanship is looking nice, so it's a real shame for them using the wrong the material.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

First thanks for all the feedback and taking the time.

Update: i think the lining is Spanish cedar, i have left the shelves out and trying to let the smell clear out... not a 100% sure trying to confirm.

First thanks for all the feedback and taking the time.

Update: i think the lining is Spanish cedar, i have left the shelves out and trying to let the smell clear out... not a 100% sure trying to confirm.

You are probably right. Hadn't taken notice of it, but quite obviously, from the grain, the inner lining rather looks like or is very similar to Cedro. At least it seems to be non-coniferous wood. While the trays look like being red cedar or similar.

The lining however must be a very thin veneer, judging from the very similar grain pattern of the cuts.

At the very least you should get in touch with the maker about the smell issue and ask for material details. He will know best.... and perhaps be willing to take the trays back and offer you a good price for a set of replacement trays.