Matthew Dellavedova and Australia Day

I was watching my beloved Cleveland Cavaliers yesterday and there was a great deal made about how the game was celebrating Australia Day and was broadcast in Australia live. One of Cleveland's good players is Matthew Dellavedova, the 3rd year Australian point guard.

What I couldn't help but wonder is if...

A) Does anyone in Australia give a damn about the NBA?

and...

B ) Do people in Australia know who Matthew Dellavedova is? If so, is he well-liked?

Locally, he is arguably the most popular Cavaliers player besides Lebron James and is beloved for his grit and hustle. I'm curious how he's perceived at home. If people even know who he is...0610-matthew-cavs-australia-getty-4.jpg

"One of Cleveland's good players" might be a reach. MD got thrown into a tough spot last year in the finals when Kyrie Irving went down. He wasn't ready but did his best. He's more known for his hustle and toughness then he is any type of skill.

Actually, he was just voted "Dirtiest NBA Player" in the league by the players. A real get under your skin kind of guy.

I'd say Andrew Bogut and Dante Exum are more well known Aussies then MD.

A) Yes

B )No. Yeah he made use of some opportunity and got a break but he's an overrated scrappy defender. Annoys the **** out of me.

He gets his ankles broke from the shake and bake on the reg. Most recently is dance with CP lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ31ct22Jag

Ben Simmons is coming!

quite a bit of interest though it ranks way below the NFL and EPL. MD is known but probably more seen as a bit of a novelty. he'll get a lot more attention when the olympics roll around.

Patty Mills > MD

• Like 1

"One of Cleveland's good players" might be a reach. MD got thrown into a tough spot last year in the finals when Kyrie Irving went down. He wasn't ready but did his best. He's more known for his hustle and toughness then he is any type of skill.

Actually, he was just voted "Dirtiest NBA Player" in the league by the players. A real get under your skin kind of guy.

I'd say Andrew Bogut and Dante Exum are more well known Aussies then MD.

bogut definitely best known here. never heard of exum. the next kid, i think simmons?, is getting a bit of coverage.

• Like 1

He scored 17 last night. He's over 40% from 3 and has been excellent all season. For most of the season he's been top 3 in efficiency and +/-. He's a very good backup PG.

I don't know who else in the NBA is Australian, it's no slight to anyone else.

Patty Mills (SAS) and Joe Ingles (Jazz) both good shooters. Probably most notable.

Ben Simmons, who plays for LSU is a beast.

I second that Andrew Bogut is the most well-known Australian NBA player. Before Bogut it would have been Luc Longley.

The Cavaliers win was broadcast on local Australian news services on Australia Day.

• Like 1

I second that Andrew Bogut is the most well-known Australian NBA player. Before Bogut it would have been Luc Longley.

The Cavaliers win was broadcast on local Australian news services on Australia Day.

before that, andrew gaze. i remember him playing for seton hall, i think?

Most Aussies ever are plying their trade in the NBA right now, at least 7 or 8, and most are making serious contributions. Dont forget Cameron Bairstow (young kid unfortunately not getting much time for the Bulls currently), and Aron Baynes (doing well after trade from Spurs to Pistons last year).

And also Kyrie! Im claiming Kyrie as he was born here, and ( i think) still has dual citizenship even though he chose to play for the US (boo!)

quite a bit of interest though it ranks way below the NFL and EPL. MD is known but probably more seen as a bit of a novelty. he'll get a lot more attention when the olympics roll around.

Not sure about the NBA being less popular that the NFL Ken. I don't have any stats to point to, but from people I know, and even media coverage (recent Jared Hayes fairy tale aside), my feel is the popularity of the NBA here far outweighs the NFL (not EPL though).

And the NBA is only likely to get more popular here - consider that Ben Simmons will be the No1 draft pick and make an immediate impact, hopefully Exum will get over his injury and start to realise his potential, and Bogut and Mills playing on historically pinnacle teams, with safe odds that one of them will win another title this year. And then there are the several Aussies in college atm, a few of which are decent chance to make the NBA. Also much hype (not sure how warranted as yet) on Thon Maker, a Aussie-Sudanese born teenager currently playing high school ball in Canada and having scouts drool over his potential.

• Like 2

before that, andrew gaze. i remember him playing for seton hall, i think?

Gaze was a legend! He wasn't the first to play in the NBA though, that honour goes to Longley. Gaze was drafted to the NBA first, but didnt make the team. He played 4 or 5 years later on a 10 day contract. I remember it made huge news here at the time.

Most Aussies ever are plying their trade in the NBA right now, at least 7 or 8, and most are making serious contributions. Dont forget Cameron Bairstow (young kid unfortunately not getting much time for the Bulls currently), and Aron Baynes (doing well after trade from Spurs to Pistons last year).

And also Kyrie! Im claiming Kyrie as he was born here, and ( i think) still has dual citizenship even though he chose to play for the US (boo!)

Not sure about the NBA being less popular that the NFL Ken. I don't have any stats to point to, but from people I know, and even media coverage (recent Jared Hayes fairy tale aside), my feel is the popularity of the NBA here far outweighs the NFL (not EPL though).

And the NBA is only likely to get more popular here - consider that Ben Simmons will be the No1 draft pick and make an immediate impact, hopefully Exum will get over his injury and start to realise his potential, and Bogut and Mills playing on historically pinnacle teams, with safe odds that one of them will win another title this year. And then there are the several Aussies in college atm, a few of which are decent chance to make the NBA. Also much hype (not sure how warranted as yet) on Thon Maker, a Aussie-Sudanese born teenager currently playing high school ball in Canada and having scouts drool over his potential.

dimmers, you could be right. i don't have figures either. i was just going on friends/media etc. it may be true for younger fans but i doubt it for older ones.

it would be years since i have talked to anyone about the NBA whereas would chat to several people every week about the NFL. there is some free to air NFL on tv here but no NBA. even if the NBA finals were free to air, no way would they come close to the ratings here for the superbowl. the hayne thing did give it a boost (as will the simmons thing, i would guess).

i must say i thought that the NBA used to be more popular than it is now back in the glory days of the Lakers and the Bulls and Magic and Jordan.

Ben Simmons has all the makings of a superstar. He reminds me of the star of my hometown team, Paul George. Big kid, versatile, can defend, and causes matchup nightmares for opponents. He's going to change the course of whatever franchise takes him. Just hope it isn't Philly.

• Like 2

...it may be true for younger fans but i doubt it for older ones.

I think that is probably spot on Ken. There is a huge 'grassroots' following here (i bet basketball still has near highest participation rates for both sexes through school ages). But the potential has never been realised. The NBL (local Australian league), was huge in late 80s/ early 90s riding the wave of the NBAs own growth curve. But they screwed it royally, first and foremost by not understanding the importance of the TV audience and soon free to air games were gone. The league has been struggling ever since. Morons, shame as the talent level here has been and continues to be quite good.

• Like 1

I think that is probably spot on Ken. There is a huge 'grassroots' following here (i bet basketball still has near highest participation rates for both sexes through school ages). But the potential has never been realised. The NBL (local Australian league), was huge in late 80s/ early 90s riding the wave of the NBAs own growth curve. But they screwed it royally, first and foremost by not understanding the importance of the TV audience and soon free to air games were gone. The league has been struggling ever since. Morons, shame as the talent level here has been and continues to be quite good.

dimmers, agreed. and also early 80s.

absurd that they cannot maintain a team in brizzy. i remember often going to see the old bullets with larry sengstock and leapin' leroy loggins. you'd hang around for a few drinks post game and often talk to the players (or occasionally find them out back of the stands smoking things that may not have been as legal as they would have wished). great fun.

even used to play a bit in the late 80s when i was living in sydney. fair to say that i was never a candidate for higher honours.

• Like 1

absurd that they cannot maintain a team in brizzy.

hopefully we will see a Bullets team again soon - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-18/brisbane-bullets-to-make-nbl-comeback/6787162

The new owner of the NBL has been around the league for many years (part owner of the Tigers and before that a major sponsor). Fingers crossed he lives up to his billing.

i remember often going to see the old bullets with larry sengstock and leapin' leroy loggins. you'd hang around for a few drinks post game and often talk to the players (or occasionally find them out back of the stands smoking things that may not have been as legal as they would have wished).

oh thats awesome ! LOL