Telltale signs of an over/under humidified Cigar

Forgetting about what your hygrometer says, what are the signs of a cigar that has been over or under humidified? Ranging from taste, how it feels, how it looks and perhaps even how it smells - whatever comes to mind.

Many of us are guilty of using standard hygrometers that are pretty good, but leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy. I’ve read many different things over the years on FOH, and I thought perhaps it would be a beneficial to compile a list of signs in one thread.

Enjoy your weekend!

Forgetting about what your hygrometer says, what are the signs of a cigar that has been over or under humidified? Ranging from taste, how it feels, how it looks and perhaps even how it smells - whatever comes to mind.

Many of us are guilty of using standard hygrometers that are pretty good, but leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy. I’ve read many different things over the years on FOH, and I thought perhaps it would be a beneficial to compile a list of signs in one thread.

Enjoy your weekend!

Feel for me - but can be tricky in very oily and/or fresh cigars (elasticity then not deriving from moisture content but from the oils)

Over.....foot gets mushy, swells up.May tear the wrapper at the foot......

Under......when you roll it between your fingers, you hear crackling, and the aroma is diminished..

I think storage conditions are individually subjective, so generally speaking I find "wet" cigars harder to keep lit, tougher on the draw, and having muddled flavor. I've found truly "dry" cigars to burn faster, hotter, with a more acrid flavor. I've rarely smoked cigars at either of these extremes (but I have), and again, am speaking generally.

Just throw some boveda packs in and forget the hygrometer.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I've spoke to a few BOTL's that don't even use hygrometers....myself I am too nosy, so I use them

I think storage conditions are individually subjective, so generally speaking I find "wet" cigars harder to keep lit, tougher on the draw, and having muddled flavor. I've found truly "dry" cigars to burn faster, hotter, with a more acrid flavor. I've rarely smoked cigars at either of these extremes (but I have), and again, am speaking generally.

This.

Smoke more cigars and you will just know. The signs will be apparent. Don't focus on your hygro readings, but rather trust the experience that provides you with the best results. Then maintain that condition.

Over: Flared foot w/ splitting wrapper. Very soft and spongy to the touch. Difficult to light w/ some burn issues throughout. Ammonia-like flavors really ramp up at the end of the 1st third, with the second-third covering the palate with the same taste, overpowering any hint of flavors the cigar does have. The last third usually splits the wrapper and needs to be tossed from the moisture expanding the filler and binder leaves too much: besides the fact that it taste really bad.

Under: Feel very dry to the touch, light in weight, and hard/brittle. Lighting is very easy but smoke is thin, dry, and harsh. Its a lot like burning foilage rather than cured tobacco. Taste during the 1st third is also the same as mentioned. Doesn't have the depth and richness the cigar should by the end of the 1st although it becomes a little less dry tasting. Harshness remains throughout the rest of the cigar along more of a dry, charred profile.

Either way, I do not enjoy them and hate myself for not having the patience to let them rest! (or the person for selling me dried out cigars....)

• Like 1

Under: dry, cracking wrappers. harsh and hot.

Over: Soft, squishy, tight to no draw.

Too much over-humidified and then dried: wrinkled, pruny wrappers.

Too much under and then rehumidified: flat and flavorless

Some excellent feedback so far! When done, I'll compile all the signs into a single post for further reference.

Just a side note: This thread is not about storage conditions, or a problem I am experiencing in my Cigars. It's more about refining our understanding of how over/under humidification affects our smoking experience.

I'm pretty comfortable with my layout, My thermoelectric fridge, 65% Heartfealt beads and PC fans rotating humidity - are plenty for my needs.

I started a thread with an issue I was having when I first joined up and I am now convinced it was due to over humidification.

My cigars were all very hard. They had no give at all but they didn't crack or sound dry when squeezed. Tight draws were also an issue. I dropped my humidity and they are all perfect now.

I initially thought wet sticks would be soft and spongey but they can also be very hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk