Hi All,

Would really appreciate some expertise here!

A friend of mine went to Cuba over Thanksgiving and brought back 3 boxes of Cohiba Siglo VIs that he said he purchased for $50 each.

He's saying that he went to Fabrica de Tabacos Partagas where the Cohibas were rolled and in the factory they told people you can buy boxes with or without the seal, which I find bogus to begin with. He didn't buy them IN the factory, but from "a guy with a good connection." I know that's a red flag in itself but he's been arguing with me for days now swearing that they're real with 100% certainty, yet the guy doesn't really know anything about cigars.
The cost is really what shocks me as I know those boxes cost around $500-$600...does anyone know if $50 is BS if purchased in Cuba or are they still very expensive there? He tried to make the argument that people are very poor in Cuba so that's why goods are so cheap there, but when have cigars ever been a poor man's hobby in the last decade at least? He also said that "all the international hotels sell them for $100, so $50 isn't that far fetched."
I've been to Nicaragua a few times and cigars there are even MORE expensive than they are in the states because of the taxes, which refutes the argument he makes about the country being corrupt and not well regulated...I don't think Nicaragua is further ahead than Cuba and if it is, not by a huge margin.
Can anyone tell with 100% certainty by looking at the photos that these are real or fake? If you could explain why that would also be very helpful.
Thanks so much all!

post-21795-0-83530500-1449678654_thumb.p

post-21795-0-43725400-1449678656_thumb.p

The bands dont look bad from a quick check, but i would be dubious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn't very helpful sad.png

Someone had told me that because there's no seal (you can see that Habanos sticker was torn off of something and just laid in the box) and the cigars are loose in the box, that's a sure sign of being counterfeit.

Any additional help would be appreciated!

What do you mean the cigars are loose in the box?

A guy on Instagram called Cigarenforcer told me that because the cigars were loose in the box, that's a sign that they're fake...maybe because they're not Cuban pressed?

I'm not sure, people keep saying things about them being fake such as "they're loose in the box," or "they're not real," but no one is explaining WHY.

I have no idea what Cuban pressed means, or what loose in the box means. Sounds like Cigarenforcer was just talking out of his ass and has never seen a cuban before.
But they're most probably not real because they were bought off a guy on the street, that's the reason.

I have no idea what Cuban pressed means, or what loose in the box means. Sounds like Cigarenforcer was just talking out of his ass and has never seen a cuban before.

But they're most probably not real because they were bought off a guy on the street, that's the reason.

I don't think that's a valid reason to deem them fake. My explanation is "some guy," but my friend has a better explanation of who the guy was, so there's a loss of translation here.

He told me that international hotels sold the boxes for $100 and these cigars looked identical to what he was seeing in the hotels.

Are you saying that people outside of a shop like the one my friend bought them from never sell authentic cigars?

Can you explain why they're not real?

The price

They were sold outside a store

People have been selling cigars in and out of the factories for years but they are never cigars from that factory, but cigars that have been brought in from the outside, rollers have certain quotas to meet everyday along w other factory workers jobs, they don't have the luxury to sell legit boxed product without it being noticed so workers bring in bogus cigars to sell in and out of the factories, that's a $500 box of cigars no matter where you buy them from on the island.....$50 is too good to be true obviously

There are hustlers in and out of the factories/stores selling complete boxes all of the time

So they are Cuban tobacco but just not a legit box of Sig 6 IMHO based on experience and research

• Like 1

The price

They were sold outside a store

People have been selling cigars in and out of the factories for years but they are never cigars from that factory, but cigars that have been brought in from the outside, rollers have certain quotas to meet everyday along w other factory workers jobs, they don't have the luxury to sell legit boxed product without it being noticed so workers bring in bogus cigars to sell in and out of the factories, that's a $500 box of cigars no matter where you buy them from on the island.....$50 is too good to be true obviously

So they are Cuban tobacco but just not a legit box of Sig 6 IMHO based on experience and research

This was helpful, I appreciate it.

So you're saying this box would be $500 in Cuba too? How come my friend was saying he saw them for $100 at hotels? I'd imagine they don't sell counterfeits?

Trust me, i think it's too good to be true as well, but this kid has been arguing with me that they're real.

This was helpful, I appreciate it.

So you're saying this box would be $500 in Cuba too? How come my friend was saying he saw them for $100 at hotels? I'd imagine they don't sell counterfeits?

Trust me, i think it's too good to be true as well, but this kid has been arguing with me that they're real.

Legit Sig 6 boxes at LCDH stores in hotels, stand alones are not selling them for $100.....common sense tell him

Yes, for the most part legit cigars are cheaper in Cuba but not by much w some exceptions......I can't speak for every hotel but non-experienced cigar smokers may not know what actual pricing is but recognize the Cohiba name and think they are getting a good deal for $100

The whole lesson is to educate your friend and not embarrass anyone, and your not, so they know moving forward what to look for, they may listen to you or may not but common sense usually wins

Hope this makes sense :)

stolen box ,bands,and stickers

Cuban tobacco not rolled in a legit factory with the Habanos blend.

Smoke a couple,see if they taste like a real Siglo VI,this is your guide .

I agree with Bart,even in Cuba these fetch 500.00 US,and fakes are everywhere.

"Loose in the box" probably refers to the DOC sticker,it should be affixed to the box.

Obviously there is a ribbon holding the sticks in a bundle.

Let us know what you find..........

I've never smoked one myself so I wouldn't be able to verify just by smoking it, however, I've been smoking/collecting cigars for years now and $50 for a box of ANYTHING, let alone Cuban Cohibas just doesn't seem legit.

I've tried educating him (haha) numerous times but he's really adamant about these being real.

I've never smoked one myself so I wouldn't be able to verify just by smoking it, however, I've been smoking/collecting cigars for years now and $50 for a box of ANYTHING, let alone Cuban Cohibas just doesn't seem legit.

I've tried educating him (haha) numerous times but he's really adamant about these being real.

Wally, with due respect you have been told more than once on the "other big forum" that they are fakes. Now you have come over here expecting to hear something different? 50 dollars buys a box of bogus fakes, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

Be honest...there is no friend, it was you that bought the boxes right?

LOL...... YOU READ MY MINDrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

• Like 1

Why are you so insistent on 'helping' your friend? It's you ain't it?

-Price not right. $50 isn't far fetched? Yeah it's really far fetched.

-Packaging don't look right

-No serial either right?

-a guy with a 'good connection'? Seriously big red flag, really cliché.

Usually $100? Maybe he meant 100CUC for a box of 10x siglo6. Even then, that's kinda cheap.

You can do a few quick checks:

-triple cap? Most fakes I Have seen don't have triple caps

-length of cigar? Compare it to a real siglo6. It should be around 15cm

-since it's so cheap, $50 for a box of 25, I'd suggest cutting up a cigar along the long side and see what's inside. It should only be long fillers, not short fillers or scraps.

-smoke it, or get someone who knows siglo6 to smoke it

That being said, it's dubious and more often than not, what you have is probably fake.

Wally, with due respect you have been told more than once on the "other big forum" that they are fakes. Now you have come over here expecting to hear something different? 50 dollars buys a box of bogus fakes, nothing more, nothing less.

Damn! Just wasted my time typing all that out.

Lol this Wally guy.

Why would i give a **** to tell you it's my friend if it's actually me. this is a cuban cigar forum but i'd lie about the cigars being mine if they were? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

i'm not insistent on "helping" him, i've been telling him they're fake like a madman and he's swearing up and down that they're real.

I'm just going to forward him this thread and let him read for himself, maybe he'll get involved and battle you guys ;)

Hard to tell from the photo's, but I'm not seeing a triple cap nor the hologram in the upper and lower gold bands. The color in the bands looks a little off to me, also. The possibility exists, but highly unlikely, that the bands and box, etc. are legit Cohiba, but the cigars are not made of Cohiba tobacco.

Bottom line, getting a cab of VI's for $50, even on the black market in Cuba, is a huge red flag. Those can be sold for a LOT more on the street. I would definitely cut one open to make sure they are made of pure tobacco and not rat hair or god knows what else. You should find long filler tobacco; not chopped up short filler. And the triple cap.

Go to cubancigarwebsite.com and check the band on one of your cigars to the band shown on the website. Click on the band to enlarge it for a good look at the holograms in the upper and lower gold bands.

And let your friend believe what he wants to believe. If you provide him with firm evidence that they're fake, and he still thinks they're real, what else can you do. Give them to him and tell him to enjoy.

From now on, spend the coin, buy from a 100% reliable source, like our host, and smoke with confidence, rather than with doubt in your mind. An experienced CC smoker will immediately know if those are legit, but 99% of the rest of the cigar smoking world will not. You can't fake the taste of a legit Cohiba.

• Like 1