top somm matches wine and cigars

Ken Gargett

Love the Amarone's and the Barolo's with my dinner, but not with my cigars... I have enjoyed a Pinot (Dugat-Py, my favorite) with some Cohibas and QdOs...

What would be your favorite pairings Ken?

Anyone else?

Personally I'm not too bothered with such articles, for him it probably works.

Whatever tickles your fancy works for me, be it a nice coffee or tea, water dare I say, or something stronger, just enjoy!

Welllll . . . he did say they were suggestions.

I find these sorts of write-ups entertaining and useful jumping off points for my own explorations. They get me thinking about the palate and how flavors compliment and compete. Sadly, I've no where near the sophisticated sense of taste of Ken (you know . . . the guy with the feet rolleyes.gif ) but it's great fun to hear from those with such a knowledge and facility and then see what does or does not ring true for me.

Matching my stogies with wine is still a challenge for me. Occasionally I get a hit, but I'm still wandering in the wilderness on this one. I love Zin's (California fan after all), but they have been decidedly ill matched to my cigars so far IMHO. Aglianicos, a very old grape, so far have been the rare hit for me and my Punch Punch, and I speculate that maybe Old World wines might be generally a better match for cigars rather than the high alcohol fruit bombs we like to make in California. party.gif But that's just speculation, and a damn broad generalization too! Clearly I must research this more . . . and more . . . :cigar:

So far, I'm happiest with my scotch, bourbon and vodka based citrus cocktails . . . oh yeah very cold Perrier or San Pelligrino, and oddly enough Pu Ehr tea (fermented, aged Chinese black tea).

So I've no coherent findings, just random walk kind of lucky finds; but I do enjoy listening to what others discover and trying that experiment too. Ken and Rob on the Deck wandering through all kinds of boutique gins and vintage ports is just as entertaining as the cigars to me. peace.gif

Matching my stogies with wine is still a challenge for me. Occasionally I get a hit, but I'm still wandering in the wilderness on this one.

Give this a try next time you're going to have a red wine with a cigar. Start with the wine, before you ever light the cigar. Take some sips, get a sense of the wine overall. Then light the cigar, take a few draws, and have a sip.....

• Like 1

Interesting article. Everyone's experience and palate will vary of course. I don't agree on the reds though. Outside of Port, drinking red wine and smoking a cigar don't pair well. I've done it many times, but mostly as a result of having a half empty glass left over from dinner and the desire to smoke a cigar afterwards. The author picked mostly NC cigars to pair reds. As many NC's tend to be on the strong side, something like Amarone does make sense as it is bold as well. I've paired Amarones and Ripassos with cigars and have enjoyed it. Not always my first choice though. I prefer "bubbly" with cigars. A good Cava, Prosecco or Champagne if you're feeling decadent. If I'm going to smoke something on the stronger side, Sauternes would be my wine of choice. The sugary content helps combat the tobacco's strength.

• Like 1

I like something wet with my cigar, be that beer, coffee, coke, rum, mojito, most white wines, champagne, manzanilla.

I find most reds too dry for a cigar usually, even port.

I need a very specific time and place to enjoy red wine with a cigar.

Give this a try next time you're going to have a red wine with a cigar. Start with the wine, before you ever light the cigar. Take some sips, get a sense of the wine overall. Then light the cigar, take a few draws, and have a sip.....

I will give this a try this weekend, thanks.

Love the Amarone's and the Barolo's with my dinner, but not with my cigars... I have enjoyed a Pinot (Dugat-Py, my favorite) with some Cohibas and QdOs...

What would be your favorite pairings Ken?

Anyone else?

we drink a lot of reds with cigars and i can understand the amarone at a pinch, but i struggle with the rioja. champers works better for me - as a generalisation. but ports, malts, rums all sit more comfortably.

I love sauternes and have never thought of pairing with a cigar. Might have to give it a try. I have some Cohiba Corona Especial that have a touch of honey in their profile. It might match well. Cheers. I don't mind a mellow pinot noir with a cigar, usually Partagas, but I would pick beer ahead of most wine - except for port or sherry.

Interesting article. Everyone's experience and palate will vary of course. I don't agree on the reds though. Outside of Port, drinking red wine and smoking a cigar don't pair well. I've done it many times, but mostly as a result of having a half empty glass left over from dinner and the desire to smoke a cigar afterwards. The author picked mostly NC cigars to pair reds. As many NC's tend to be on the strong side, something like Amarone does make sense as it is bold as well. I've paired Amarones and Ripassos with cigars and have enjoyed it. Not always my first choice though. I prefer "bubbly" with cigars. A good Cava, Prosecco or Champagne if you're feeling decadent. If I'm going to smoke something on the stronger side, Sauternes would be my wine of choice. The sugary content helps combat the tobacco's strength.

I absolutely agree with this. I also feel most red wines don't pair too well with cigars, except port, preferably an aged tawny. I also agree regarding bubbly pairing well with cigars, I like the element of freshness which contrats well with most cigars. White wines can also work well, I tend to prefer the sweeter wines with cigars, like a Gewürztraminer, or sometimes a Sauternes or Vin Santo.