So close and yet so far.....

I opened a mastercase of Monte 2 today. PMS JUN 14.

This was the first box this one.

post-4-0-57700300-1443600642_thumb.jpg

I loved the thin oily oscuro wrappers. I like these wrappers on monte 2. Not many others but they suit Monte 2 (to my taste).

Went to check the construction. 1'st, 2nd and 3rd cigar, overfilled. 4th fine, 5th overfilled, 6th passable.

Checked the ones i felt overfilled in the hand. Once you have done this for a while, you get to know what each cigar should weigh in the hand. You guys would know with your own favourites. Way over.

Checked the bunch.

post-4-0-45231000-1443600639_thumb.jpg

Way too tight on way too many.

Next box was same gorgeous wrappers. Same shitty construction. Next 12 the same. I moved on after that.

None of these have been through a draw machine. What a waste of great wrapper given great wrapper is short.

As they say...all that glitters is not gold.

Construction problems are so frustrating. Thanks for looking out for us.

I have a box of Monte 2 with this same code, which was from 24:24 in mid-August. I have smoked 6 to date. After seeing Rob's post and discovering that I grossly overpaid, to keep from throwing things or harming the cat I took all of the remaining 19 cigars from the box and trotted out my trusty digital food scale. The mean weight of the batch was 14.58 grams, very close to the target weight of 14.26g for this vitola. I then weighed each cigar individually, and this is where it gets interesting. Weights ranged from a low of 12.5g to a high of 16.5g. Only 5 of the 19 cigars were within the target zone of 14-15g, even though the average for the box falls squarely in the middle. The standard deviation was approx. 1.25 gram--about 8.5% from the mean. Translated, this means that there is a pretty wide weight variance from cigar to cigar across this admittedly small sample size.

Now, I don't know if an 8.5% heavier cigar automatically means a noticeably tighter cigar--I would guess that several factors come into play in determining draw--but I have to say that so far the weight variation thing doesn't mean crap in terms of the actual smokeability of the cigars in my particular box. I may have simply gotten lucky out of the mastercase but they smoke beautifully and none of the 6 has been tight at all. Who knows what the future will hold--these guys haven't even had a chance to fully stabilize in their new environment yet. But very enjoyable smoke for me so far, one-quarter into the box.

Mike

Now, I don't know if an 8.5% heavier cigar automatically means a noticeably tighter cigar--

Not at all. When Rob says "you get to know what each cigar should weigh in the hand" he means that you should detect a notable difference, which 8.5% is not.

I have a box of Monte 2 with this same code, which was from 24:24 in mid-August. I have smoked 6 to date. After seeing Rob's post and discovering that I grossly overpaid, to keep from throwing things or harming the cat I took all of the remaining 19 cigars from the box and trotted out my trusty digital food scale. The mean weight of the batch was 14.58 grams, very close to the target weight of 14.26g for this vitola. I then weighed each cigar individually, and this is where it gets interesting. Weights ranged from a low of 12.5g to a high of 16.5g. Only 5 of the 19 cigars were within the target zone of 14-15g, even though the average for the box falls squarely in the middle. The standard deviation was approx. 1.25 gram--about 8.5% from the mean. Translated, this means that there is a pretty wide weight variance from cigar to cigar across this admittedly small sample size.

Now, I don't know if an 8.5% heavier cigar automatically means a noticeably tighter cigar--I would guess that several factors come into play in determining draw--but I have to say that so far the weight variation thing doesn't mean crap in terms of the actual smokeability of the cigars in my particular box. I may have simply gotten lucky out of the mastercase but they smoke beautifully and none of the 6 has been tight at all. Who knows what the future will hold--these guys haven't even had a chance to fully stabilize in their new environment yet. But very enjoyable smoke for me so far, one-quarter into the box.

Mike

Mike.

Just because one mastercase of PMS JUN 14 is crap doesn't mean all mastercases of PMS JUN 14 are crap.

There can be remarkable variances in mastercases from the same factory and code.

Rob, thanks for making my point more directly and unambiguously than I did.

There will always be variability among hand-made products built from plant matter. That variability may or may not affect enjoyment of the product. My goal was to reassure other members that, despite your frustration from what you found, my box from that same code is excellent. I would buy more without hesitation, especially knowing that you've culled the suspect ones.

Mike