greatest wine of the 1970s.

Ken Gargett

having been in cuba and no idea what has happened anywhere - i love that - i see on the internet (not my emails as can't get those here in mexico - presumably i have not bribed the right person though all the dosh that the scumbag corrupt officials stole at the airport should have covered it) that grange 1971 was awarded the "greatest wine of the 1970's", worldwide.

this was from the tasting i went to in finland and it really was a glorious bottle. stunning. certainly my top wine of the 160 or so we looked at. they were done blind so no chance of any bias.

i had told pekka that if we got a really good bottle - cork invariably makes these things a tiny bit of a lottery - that it might just be the wine of the tasting. i don't think anyone believed me.

not sure if this link will work.

http://thetastingbook.com/wine/penfolds_estate/grange_hermitage_1971

fuzz, i wish you were right as i have some 76 but no 71 but that is a bit of an american thing. 76 grange (which was there and, while it showed very well, rather surprisingly was outshone but the very much unheralded 72 - which i remember buying from a pub who was clearing stock - for $12 - in the mid 80s). 76 is a very big burly grange. certainly a terrific wine but the 71 has long been known as something special. if you get a good bottle. and this was a stunner. best grange i've ever seen, along with the brilliant 53 a few years ago. 71 is a beautifully elegant wine.

I'd love to someday have a chance to try some older Grange. I've only had the chance to try the most recent vintages, '08 being my favorite. Funny thing about the cork lottery... I hear we Americans are the only ones to still receive Grange under cork. From what the Penfold's fella said, all other markets now have Grange under screwtop but they put our supply under cork as Americans refuse to buy screwtop. We had an interesting debate about the screwtop vs cork issue after that but I thought that was interesting. Can anyone outside the U.S. confirm?

I'd love to someday have a chance to try some older Grange. I've only had the chance to try the most recent vintages, '08 being my favorite. Funny thing about the cork lottery... I hear we Americans are the only ones to still receive Grange under cork. From what the Penfold's fella said, all other markets now have Grange under screwtop but they put our supply under cork as Americans refuse to buy screwtop. We had an interesting debate about the screwtop vs cork issue after that but I thought that was interesting. Can anyone outside the U.S. confirm?

'08?! Infanticide! tongue.png

I was under the impression that all Grange was still using cork?

'08?! Infanticide! tongue.png

I was under the impression that all Grange was still using cork?

I was forced to drink it!

That's what I thought which was why I was so confused when he started talking about screwtops. I'd only ever seen a cork version.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you have a terrible job, Ken. Just terrible. buddies.gif

I've only had Grange once in my life - a glass of '92, if memory serves, in Melbourne a few years back - but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

Got a mate who's a great independent wine merchant here in Surrey - Rupert Pritchett from Taurus Wines - and he recommended a bottle of 2009 Pangea last week, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I gather it's a John Duval vine, so there's a bit of Grange connection there, but, unless I get a lottery win, that's the closest I'm going to get for a while!

grange is 100% cork everywhere. there are supposedly screwcap trials but none but the inner circle would ever see them.

anyone tells you they have tried a grange under screwcap, they are fibbing or they are peter gago.

that said, i wish it was under screwcap.