Your thoughts on Lagavulin 12yr and Distillers

Rye

I am a great fan of the classic Lagavulin 16yr, and I am wondering if the 12yr and distillers edition are a worthwhile addition to the stash.

I have yet to be able to sample either at any of the tastings I've been to, but I've been looking at them for awhile now and at around $100/bottle I am tempted

The other I am thinking instead is a Balblair 1975 to commemorate my 40th coming up very soon, but I am not familiar with that distillery and don't want to pass the 2 Lagavulins for one bottle that I may not like.

So, what say you gentlemen?

DE isn't worth the coin. Interesting sure, but it's chill filtered and watered down.

The 12 is the best of the three core expressions they release. It's pure unadulterated lagavulin.

The 12Y is leagues better than the DE and the 16Y. Absolutely worth the extra coin. Much more intense and great depth of flavor.

I'm a fan of the 16 as well, just the 12 is much better.

• Like 1

I have the 2012 and 2014 expressions of the 12yo and they're both great whiskies imo. Never had the DE but the 12yo sure beats the 16yo.

I currently have a bottle of Balblair 2002 open which was a positive surprise. More of a summer whisky imo with fresh notes, somewhat herbal and even a touch minty at times. Not sure how representative that is for this distillery though but certainly a very very different whisky from the Laga 12yo, different worlds.

• Like 1

The 12 year Lagavulin is great stuff, way more depth of flavor than the 16.

Balblair, you have to get a refill butt at cask strength. I had the opportunity to try an 82 that was fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've been told the Lag 21 is the great one, but no opportunity to try it.

I get Talisker DE for $40, so I love the value.

That's a great price for the Talisker DE. Funny how Lagavulin 16 is reasonably priced for a 16 year old scotch. I don't understand why the 21 year old version goes for almost $1,000. I mean heck, you can get Glenfarclas 25 for $120. If I were Lagavulin (well Diageo I guess), I'd take half of the production of 16 year old stock and age it 5 more years and increase profits significantly. Who knows though how stringent they are in choosing casks though...

That's a great price for the Talisker DE. Funny how Lagavulin 16 is reasonably priced for a 16 year old scotch. I don't understand why the 21 year old version goes for almost $1,000. I mean heck, you can get Glenfarclas 25 for $120. If I were Lagavulin (well Diageo I guess), I'd take half of the production of 16 year old stock and age it 5 more years and increase profits significantly. Who knows though how stringent they are in choosing casks though...

That's a great price for Glenfarclas 25, I see it for $150 here.

Lagavulin is screwy- I have a store that sells 16 for $55, while everyone else gets $80-90. I have a store that has the 12 for $90, which is also cheap. But the DE is $100?!?

The 21 is long gone. I still see the 37 from time to time, due to the cost.

That's a great price for Glenfarclas 25, I see it for $150 here.

Lagavulin is screwy- I have a store that sells 16 for $55, while everyone else gets $80-90. I have a store that has the 12 for $90, which is also cheap. But the DE is $100?!?

The 21 is long gone. I still see the 37 from time to time, due to the cost.

$55?!?! Where are you?

Here it's $100+ after taxes. Stupid WA taxes...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd chime in and say the 12 is with the extra in my opinion. It is richer and has more depth of flavor. I would choose this every time over 16 and esp DE.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I ended up grabbing both Laga's and stumbled into a 'Laddie 16yr port cask

post-13208-144410864996.jpg

Opened and shared both the Laga and the 12 was hands down the favourite of the two. I won't post tasting notes just yet as I'd like to do a vertical of the 12, 16, & 16DE all together.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rye, I know it's probably impossible because you're in Canada, but if you can get one, find a bottle of Lagavulin that is still marked White Horse Distillers on the bottom of the label. The old Lagavulin is supposedly quite a bit better than current production. They don't go for a huge premium, so if you can find it as a dusty or buy it at a reasonable price, I would do that.

• Like 1

Rye, I know it's probably impossible because you're in Canada, but if you can get one, find a bottle of Lagavulin that is still marked White Horse Distillers on the bottom of the label. The old Lagavulin is supposedly quite a bit better than current production. They don't go for a huge premium, so if you can find it as a dusty or buy it at a reasonable price, I would do that.

Wouldn't that be bottles pre 2000? VERY unlikely to find any....