not a bad tasting

Ken Gargett

in helsinki for a big event over the next few days. the organiser had a few of us around for a pre tasting evening. 8 or 9 of us i think. some pretty extraordinary wines. if i was not banned, i'd elaborate.

Philipponnat ‘Clos des Goisses’ 2000 – a couple of bottles to warm up.

Dom Pérignon Oenothèque (P3) 1973 – magnum. The serious stuff.

Bremer Ratskeller ‘Rudesheimer Apostel Wein’ 1727 – a half (when they say 1727, it is actually made from the last remaining barrel of an original 12 barrels of three vintages. They had been reduced over the centuries by evaporation and three vintages, 1683, 1717 and 1727, had all ended up in the one barrel. It was bottled in 1960). And it was extraordinary.

La Tache 1923 – amazingly elegant.

Romanee Conti 1929 – too young and alive and amazing not to be a fake but too truly brilliant to be one. 9 of us and I think all scores ranged from 98 to 100. Not a bad fake if it is one. The wine of the night for most.

Lafite 1870 – amazing. Truly.

Lafleur 1950 – lovely wine.

Cheval Blanc 1950 – even better.

Petrus 1953 – had everything.

Lafite 1982 – the pick of these last four Bordeaux.

Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’ Blanc 1945 – either the Romanee Conti, the 1727 or this, was the wine of the night for most. Only 306 bottles ever made and this was believed to be the last in existence.

Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’ 1945. Almost as good as the Blanc, or better than the Blanc. Troops divided. But all loved it.

• Like 2

What a list KG. I'd make a joke about Koch and Rodenstock, but I don't want to cause you any further duress, which might lead to extended sanction from His Darkness.

the bloke who hosted thinks that the 29 romanee-conti might have been a hardy.

but i have spoken to several european experts who actually believe hardy might be the best winemaker of the 20th century. but controversial but i sort of get what they are saying.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here as I don't drink wine often.

Does youthful wine have a bite to it that a younger scotch or whisky does compared to an older spirit?

Is it possible that a 90 year old wine still retain since youthfulness to it?

in helsinki for a big event over the next few days. the organiser had a few of us around for a pre tasting evening. 8 or 9 of us i think. some pretty extraordinary wines. if i was not banned, i'd elaborate.

Philipponnat ‘Clos des Goisses’ 2000 – a couple of bottles to warm up.

Dom Pérignon Oenothèque (P3) 1973 – magnum. The serious stuff.

Bremer Ratskeller ‘Rudesheimer Apostel Wein’ 1727 – a half (when they say 1727, it is actually made from the last remaining barrel of an original 12 barrels of three vintages. They had been reduced over the centuries by evaporation and three vintages, 1683, 1717 and 1727, had all ended up in the one barrel. It was bottled in 1960). And it was extraordinary.

La Tache 1923 – amazingly elegant.

Romanee Conti 1929 – too young and alive and amazing not to be a fake but too truly brilliant to be one. 9 of us and I think all scores ranged from 98 to 100. Not a bad fake if it is one. The wine of the night for most.

Lafite 1870 – amazing. Truly.

Lafleur 1950 – lovely wine.

Cheval Blanc 1950 – even better.

Petrus 1953 – had everything.

Lafite 1982 – the pick of these last four Bordeaux.

Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’ Blanc 1945 – either the Romanee Conti, the 1727 or this, was the wine of the night for most. Only 306 bottles ever made and this was believed to be the last in existence.

Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’ 1945. Almost as good as the Blanc, or better than the Blanc. Troops divided. But all loved it.

So do you have to sip and spit these out??

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here as I don't drink wine often.

Does youthful wine have a bite to it that a younger scotch or whisky does compared to an older spirit?

Is it possible that a 90 year old wine still retain since youthfulness to it?

if i may be permitted to jump back on briefly, it won't be youthfulness in the normal manner, obviously, in a 90 year old wine, but it is certainly possible to have freshness at any age. depends on each wine. and freshness in an old wine is a wonderful thing.

i may have misled with the 'youthful' mention re the romanee conti and apols for that. that was more in relation to the possibilities of it being a fake. it seemed too youthful to be that old but then it was too good to have been a fake - or the best one ever. a curious conundrum.