Rugby World Cup 2015

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a memorable match, loved it ! Second best after I watched the Springboks beat the All Blacks in the historic Johannesburg match with Nelson Mandela attending. Smoked a Salomones watching it at

Please tell me everyone just saw japan upset the bokkes! holy F*ck what a match although i will say the springs looked lazy and looked like all they had to do was showup wow just wow

Time we started talking about this! Thoughts, people? Other than "Scotland to win", obviously....

Wales looking very confident, despite terrible injury woes.

All Blacks stuttered a bit against the Pumas. We've yet to see them in full flow, but I suspect it won't be long...

I expect the All Blacks will hit their stride soon too.

• Like 1

Please tell me everyone just saw japan upset the bokkes! holy F*ck what a match although i will say the springs looked lazy and looked like all they had to do was showup wow just wow

The Bokke didn't play too bad they were just not quite there mentally, lacking aggression and zip like in their many losses this year. They played semi-decently, got 4 tries, solid set pieces, which makes it all the more amazing.

The Japanese played outstanding rugby and went for the jugular when a historic draw was guaranteed - the stuff legends are made of. Ferocious but accurate low tackling to cut the big boks down (except for those two soft tries). Continuous phase play at full pace with some of the most accurate passing you will ever see (which is admittedly a style they have showcased over many seasons now). Using the numbers in the maul to offset a lack of power up front. What. A. Win.

It's been a good (morning in the US and evening in the UK).

And now it's time to watch France and Italy.

France Italy was a disappointing midwinter-6nations-style Yawnfest with Italy in particular attempting to beat the record for cynical killing of the ball in the rucks (giving away 18 consecutive points in penalties).

The French big men stood up but their backline and phase play is still looking disorganised with Michalak up to his usual (erratic and sometimes productive) tricks. At least they have a few easy-ish pool games to work on their structure...

^^^ Is that true? I really hope so cause that's so cool and typical of Rugby fans.

I'm a huge All Blacks fan and will be cheering for them as usual. We don't get a lot of coverage here in North America but I've always enjoyed RWC.

I enjoyed reading this article regarding Tim Horan's induction into the World Rugby Hall of Fame yesterday. I only wish Australia had more players like Tim Horan! yes.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/tim-horan-inducted-into-world-rugby-hall-of-fame-20150920-gjr1px.html

john, having watched hundreds and hundreds of hours of horan at every level - test, reds and club - sadly i can tell you that there are not more players like tim horan. what a superstar.

i have no doubt that he is the greatest back australia has ever seen (i'd say the world but different positions make it difficult and i think dan carter has a serious claim and as a fly half, probably more influential). for australia, you can toss in contenders such as campo, mclean and lynagh but i'd go with horan. he and campo are the two backs we have that should be walk-up starts in any 'best ever world xv'.

again, tough with positions being so different in rugby but i think he has strong claims as the greatest player australia has produced - competing with eales and loane.

• Like 1

john, having watched hundreds and hundreds of hours of horan at every level - test, reds and club - sadly i can tell you that there are not more players like tim horan. what a superstar.

He could spot the smallest gaps in the field and change direction at pace, couldn't he? I'm sure this explains his knee injuries which curtailed his career. Still, he was a part of two successful World Cup campaigns (1991 and 1999).

Here's a link to an article which suggests that the All Blacks are better off ditching the Haka, due to statistical evidence which implies that the team takes awhile to 'get into' their recent matches. Can you seriously imagine New Zealand with no Haka ceremony before a match? blink.png

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/fresh-analysis-shows-the-all-blacks-would-be-better-off-without-the-haka/story-fndpt9s1-1227540877869

Here's a link to an article which suggests that the All Blacks are better off ditching the Haka, due to statistical evidence which implies that the team takes awhile to 'get into' their recent matches. Can you seriously imagine New Zealand with no Haka ceremony before a match? blink.png

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/fresh-analysis-shows-the-all-blacks-would-be-better-off-without-the-haka/story-fndpt9s1-1227540877869

there has long been a theory that teams are better off not pissing about with their own songs or huddles but kicking off asap post haka, due to what it takes out of nz.

as for horan, the knee took out a year or two but that was in the super final around 94? little also did his knee (and yet the glorious reds still won the game in south africa - one of their great victories - if i recall, johnson at half took off for a long range try, the bloke was nearly as quick as horan) but it didn't really seem to impact in later years. not quite as fast, perhaps, though not much slower. such a brilliant player. and decent human - rare for a footy player these days.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in posting about Scotland - beer is most definitely to blame.

A very even game in the first half, but Scotland managed to soak up the Japanese attack.

Then the fitness came into play, with five Scottish tries.

But let's not say it was just a fitness issue. Scotland put in nearly 200 tackles in their efforts to stop the Japanese attack.

Thus was a victory built on solid defence. Great work from the forwards with Denton doing the unglamorous stuff brilliantly.

Very proud of the boys today.

Great defensive effort from the Scots to keep out Japan like they did. The Wallabies did what they had to do to win, the big games for them come up against England on Sunday October 4th (6 am AEDST) and Wales on Sunday October 11th (2:45 am AEDST)

• Like 1

Scot defended well as brave blossoms reach the level normal ppl cant imagine.

Though there are few nations put rugby as their main sports like big 3, it's glad to see Japan, Romania, and Georgia did progressed a lot in these years.

I agree. Great to see other nations improving all the time.

Courageous Welsh hail one of their greatest rugby nights

LONDON, 26 Sept - In the glorious history of Welsh rugby, and after 134 years of clashes with their greatest cross-border rivals, had there ever been a night to encapsulate the Dragons’ indomitable spirit and heart quite like this?

Sam Warburton, their victorious captain, felt their last-gasp 28-25 victory, carved out in the face of genuine adversity and in front of a passionate Twickenham crowd, “was up there” with the finest backs-to-the wall triumphs in Welsh international annals.

Even an English World Cup winner of old, Matt Dawson, watching in almost disbelief as Warren Gatland’s battered and beaten up Welsh warriors conjured up a win where none seemed remotely feasible, was moved to declare: “This is the biggest win ever for Wales.”

That might have sounded a mite hyperbolic in what was, after all, just a group match, with not even a place in the knockout stages still guaranteed as Wales now move on to face Fiji in just four days with proud coach Gatland shrugging ruefully: “We’ve run out of players.”

Yet somehow Dawson’s observation felt spot on as the stupefied Twickenham crowd could hardly believe how a side which had been so dominant in the set pieces, and who were 10 points ahead after 50 minutes, could have ended up being beaten by a team who, already without key players because of their ill-fated pre-tournament build up, then saw two more, Liam Williams (concussion) and Scott Williams (pictured, before he suffered a serious knee injury), taken off on stretchers and a third, Hallam Amos, coming off with an shoulder injury.

Source and further reading: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/100169

After leading 16-9 at half-time, and being up 25-18 after 70 minutes, could England become the first Rugby World Cup hosts to leave before the knockout stages?

On the personal hate Scale,..and it is pesonal + tongue in cheek.

1. Anyone who beats New South Wales.....including the Bin Laden 15.

2. New Zealand All Blacks. While I may appreciate their professionalism....I detest them none the less.

3 South Africa Springbocks. I don't know hoe they fell behind the "All Blacks" .....but God I love Japan for all the soul searching they brang.

4: England. Unless you are a Pom....who doesn't hate them lol3.gif

5. no one ......anyone who knocks off the top 4 are champions in my book!