How The Best Restaurants Open Old Bottles Of Wine

MIKA27

How The Best Restaurants Open Old Bottles Of Wine

Here’s how one of the best restaurants in the world, Eleven Madison Park, opens a bottle of wine when the wine is especially old and the cork is possibly all crumbly: they use burning hot metal tongs to heat up bottle so it can be ‘magically’ opened from the neck, avoiding the cork.

Business Insider made the video where Jonathan Ross, a sommelier at Eleven Madison Park, shows (and explains!) how (and why) it’s done this way. Pretty cool video

• Like 4

interesting stuff. i have only ever seen it done (or heard of it being done) with old ports. i have mates with port tongs and for old bottles, it does work. never needed to do the cold brush thing though. interesting.

he uses a young bottle there but if he had an old bottle, it is likely he would pour it into the decanter either extremely carefully or with the use of a machine that very slowly tips it over - you wind a lever. but either way, it would be done over a candle which would light up the neck. because port bottles are so dark, very hard to see when the wine is giving way to sediment and a candle can do that. depending on the port and age, can leave an inch or so of sediment in the base.

also, with older bottles, if the somm knew he was to be opening it, he would have it standing up for a few days to try and have as much sediment as possible sink to the bottom. .

thanks for posting that.

• Like 2

I find that amazing. You'd think there would be tiny shards of glass when the neck comes off that way!

seems to work, though you'd think so.

slicing the top off a champers bottles certainly leaves no glass at all, though a dangerously sharp edge.

• Like 1