HTF Bourbons--which to buy?

dangolf18

A friend is offering up part of his bourbon collection. Do you think any of these are a buy? I can't believe how insane bourbon prices have gotten for top names! I'm not loaded with cash, so wondering if any of these would be a good investment/buy.

1xAH Hirsch 16yr -$1000

1xCol EH Taylor cured oak-$450

1xWillett 12yr family reserve whiskey, distillery gift shop exclusive -$250

4xWillett 9yr family reserve whiskey-$150ea

1xWillett XCF version 1.0 -$250

3xRhetoric 20yr orphan barrel $130

1xWilliam heaven hill 11yr small batch distillery gift shop exclusive -$250

1xHeaven hill 8yr select stock distillery gift shop exclusive $250

2xWilliam Larue Weller Btac 2014 -$475ea

1xGeorge t stagg Btac 2013=$350

1xThomas handy Btac 2012 =$250

1x10yr old rip van winkle squat 90proof 2011=$350

1x10yr old rip Van winkle squat 107proof 2012=$350
1x10yr old rip van winkle 2013 =$300

1x12yr Van winkle lot B 2012 =$400

1x12yr Van winkle lot B 2013=$375

1x12yr Van winkle lot B 2014=$350

1x13yr Van winkle family rye 2013=$850

1x15yr pappy Van winkle 2014=$650
1x15yr pappy Van winkle 2012=$675

3x20yr pappy Van winkle 2012=$1050ea

1x20yr pappy Van winkle 2013=$1000

3x20yr pappy Van winkle 2014=$950ea

2x23yr pappy Van winkle 2014=$1400

1x23yr pappy Van winkle 2013=$1450

1x23yr pappy Van winkle 2008 =$1500

1x23yr pappy Van winkle 2007=$1500

I'm no expert on Bourbon. Have been curious though, with the high prices and marquise value of Pappy's, one wonders how you avoid getting a counterfeit?

None - you won't make a profit at these prices and I don't think they are worth this price to drink, unless you are rolling in cash.

• Like 2

Complete secondary market prices. All good stuff but your not getting a deal.

Pappy is not the be all and end all. I myself love the Heaven Hill gift shop selections and Buffalo Trace Antique collection picks. Namely T.Handy and Stagg.

I've forgotten half the list but unless there's any older PVW than '08 (say the 23yrs) Its not the distilled at S. Weller, biblical juice stuff.

Also, I love bourbon and enjoy it thoroughly. I hate flippers with a passion.

• Like 1

The only thing that really caught my eye was the two heaven hill selections he has. To me the prices are at the top of the secondary market...and that means you'd have two problems. None of this would appreciate much, and you wouldn't want to drink it either. It is an impressive list though.

I've got to admit that my preferences were based purely on the bottles I'd like. As I'm in Australia the prices are very different so my apologies for not been able to help out there. Alas, it's great to have others confirm that these aren't the best deal.

Those are about average prices for the non-Pappy van Winkle items. Secondary market, not what they were from the store.

Are you considering buying them to drink?

Liquor is not really a reasonable investment- selling on the secondary market is mostly illegal in many places, provenance and storage are paramount on the expensive bottles, and they are relatively fragile and easy to lose in the event of some small catastrophe. Also, it is often not replaceable, even if you get a decent insurance payout.

Absolutely not. A local price gouger had pappy 23 for 800. Not second hand and not even close at that. AH hirsch is good, but not even considered at half that for consumption, and not at that for investment. Lot B for over 70 bucks? WTF How much for a new release C Taylor retailed at 70?

Does your friend think bottle aging increases quality? Interesting price structure. I'm hoping your "friend" wouldn't charge you those prices.

Be careful with bourbon. It's in odd times.

I'll add the "investment" times for bourbon have passed by. If that's your bag. And buying second hand for investment purposes isn't ideal, at all. You need to find them before they explode GQ style. The mid 2000's AH Hirsch pipe dream is long gone.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to pass on them. Bourbon is unfortunately becoming a Veblen good. Sucks for those that appreciate good quality stuff.

Ironically, to your statement, that's the beauty of bourbon. Good quality bourbon isn't exclusive. It's easy to get caught up in the rarity and hype. Bourbon is artificially being put into that position to compete with scotch. At least that's my feeling. It just isn't that good to put it bluntly.

Those prices are comical. I am done giving liquor advice but there is excelent bourbon on the market from those same distilleries for well under $50/1.75L. I completely agree that bourbon just isn't highland scotch and should really never exceed $100 a bottle. I have drank litres of pappy. I don't seek it anymore. It just isn't worth it.

• 1 month later...