AC/DC

Ken Gargett

can't say i am much of a big fan, but always had a few songs that have been terrific.

late last night there was a televised concert of them (recorded it and played it this morning) - somewhere in argentina or chile i think.

far be it for me to criticise anyone's musical ability but if you focused on the band, seemed like a bunch of old blokes phoning it in to a degree, especially whoever took over from bon scott. some old short fat bloke in an andy capp beret whose voice was long long gone. drummer had a *** in his mouth the entire time. angus looks even sadder in school gear. but it was all entertaining enough. that may be harsh but just how they came across to me.

what absolutely blew me away was the crowd. i think that down in oz, we forget how massive they are around the world. this was in south america, in a huge huge open stadium (heavily guarded runway going about 80 metres into the crowd so the lead singer could struggle up and down it occasionally when not out of breath).

the crowd was truly massive. would not have surprised me if they said over 100,000. and a heap of much younger people (remember this is not home territory and not even first language territory). the stadium seating around the field all chockers but the field itself (i'm assuming it was a massive soccer stadium) was standing room only but not just that, they were sardined in so much that you felt not one more person could have been squeezed in. and the entire time, they bounced and heaved and jumped. with the spotties all over the crowd, it was mesmorising stuff. could not stop watching. never seen a crowd so into a concert.

this crowd was nearly (i said nearly) bruce-like.

I have seen AC/DC a few times mostly back when they were middle age and more energetic. It was always in my mind anyway the most straight forward rock and roll show I had ever witnessed.

No frills just give 'er. And yes the crowd did make the vibe even more electric. The Tragically Hip, and the Headstones were always good for that too.

Sad and hard to watch - for me the Bon Scott material is what I think of when I think AC/DC. If you want to see some real stink, google Van Halen live on Jimmy Kimmel. Last week they shut down Sunset Blvd and Halen played live - I stopped watching after the first song. Roth was never a good vocalist, but this was terrible (it's possible they had trouble hearing themselves.......) Eddie looks like he has to work at what used to seem effortless.....

One of my favorite bands of all times!! Lol and its funny you mentioning him having a *** In his mouth . The first time I heard this was from my cousin from Perth he was born and raised in Oz . I was 14 he was 18 which he pronounced A-Dean he told me he needed a *** . Well that having a total different meaning to a farm boy from lower Alabama I had a deep concern for what my cousin was into . When he explained I told him what ever he did don't tell any of these red neck bastards he liked fags because cause that would earn him the beating of his life in rural Alabama . Dead nuts in the middle of the Bible belt lol

Hahaha!!! Nice thread! I just got back to the hotel from us seeing them play at Coachella! 2 hour show and they tore it up!

Angus is unstoppable! I saw them play almost 30 years ago, and he's as good or better now. Their music isn't going to change the world, but they are SOLID!!!

Brian Johnson is a friend of a good mate and I've had a few pints with him at his home in Florida... He's amazing. Rock legend. He runs 6 miles everyday. Would put most of us to shame. Hard rock voice. Same as when he started.

You might not realize their importance Ken, but there would not be as many hard rock bands from the rest of the world without their influence...

Another Oz export was on the stage prior. Tame Impala was very impressive! Shout out to the Aussies!!!

• Like 1

Have seen them a handful of times, all with Brian Johnson whose raspy voice I prefer to Bon Scott's.

I REALLY don't like the sound when they here at the local stadium though. They sell out all the time.

One of the most unique sounds/voices in rock. Very influential band. I'm one to only want to see great performers at their peak.

So many bands/groups right now are doing tours and I just can't imagine listening to them trying to be what they once were. Almost kareokeeish. I think Fleetwood, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Rolling Stones, Etc. are all touring this year. And the coin they charge, I'll pass.

Based on Dispence's comments, sounds like AC/DC can still bring it though.

Never really been a fan... but have been dragged to two of their concerts which were very good...30000 plus tickets as opposed to 5 thousand Magnus... would have been good to see them at that new venue..

Never been a Fan neither ,but do like some of their songs,Magnus is right this will probably be their last hoorah I wish them well even thought i won't be there

cheers

saw them play in sydney last time say 2012 ? bloody awesome ,not like they were but still great to watch even at $100 a head