First Humidor Recommendations

TheMunt

Hey guys and girls,

Sifting through post after post regarding all the different humidors and reading reviews online.

The reviews are the most worrying, for the same humidor people have said it's the best they have ever owned and others say it wasn't sealed, horrible mess of a thing.

So in light of this and having to get my post count up to gain access to the Terra Australis forum I thought the best way to get an honest unbiased suggestion for a first humidor would be to ask the tasters!

My situation:

Living in sunny Brisbane (excited to hear this is the havanathon location, hopefully noobs are welcome party.gif )

Looking to store 75 - 100 as a first humidor.

Like the glass option so I can see the stock without opening.

Like the idea of being able to check humidity without opening.

Looking to spend $100 - $200 AU.

Please only make recommendations if you have tried and tested the humidor.

I look forward to hearing what worked for you guys when you were Noobies!peace.gif

Thanks in advance guys.

My best performing desktop is an Adorini. It outperforms the more expensive Daniel Marshals I have. Dont know if they make a glass top model though. Best advice is buy much bigger than you think you will ever need.

Thanks for the advice Campanas, I might keep this in mind down the track, however it's a little out of my price range especially considering the weak Australian dollar at present.

Appreciate the feedback.

My best performing desktop is an Adorini. It outperforms the more expensive Daniel Marshals I have. Dont know if they make a glass top model though. Best advice is buy much bigger than you think you will ever need.

I second the recommendation of the Adorini. Great quality humidor for a good price. They do make a glass top one. Caveat: glass top humidors do not hold the humidity as well those without. Looks nice but less functional.

Best advice is get a tupperware with weather sealing on the lid.

Thanks for the heads up CigarEnthusiast. I think I might take this route first off, even though those beautiful spanish cedar polished exterior humidors are tempting. Lock and Lock is a brand in Australia famous for it's seal-ability. Are you referring to something like this? http://www.locknlock.com.au/classic-container-rectangle-12l-handle.html

Thanks for the heads up CigarEnthusiast. I think I might take this route first off, even though those beautiful spanish cedar polished exterior humidors are tempting. Lock and Lock is a brand in Australia famous for it's seal-ability. Are you referring to something like this? http://www.locknlock.com.au/classic-container-rectangle-12l-handle.html

That looks good!

Also I used something very similar to what Fuzz uses and it works perfectly.

Also if you want something more stylish you can get an ammodor since they are air tight as well, but they are a bit more expensive.

Good luck!

Indeed, get a big lock and lock container from Big W or something. I particularly like the Pyrex glass ones but they don't come in too big a size. Next go to FoH central buy a few cigars and ask them if they can spare a few empty raw wooden boxes, break apart the boxes and use the flat wood to get the cedar smell in your container. Works like a treat for me. Get a boveda pack or two if you want and you're set. No need to worry about humidity or anything, just keep the container in a coolish part of the house that has a stable temperature and you never have to worry about it.

post-15810-0-16145400-1426608720_thumb.j

• Like 1

you could always get the airtight container for storing boxes and then a nice constantly replenished 50 count desktop Adorini for day to day smoking.

• Like 1

I would suggest a "Treasure Dome" to start out with if you want the classic look of a humidor. It is rated at 300 ct. but in reality is far less if you have an average mix of vitolas. It is a 85-$90 humidor on cigar bid and holds humidity very well with 8 oz of Heartfelt beads.

The next step is to get a coolerdor. I opted for the Igloo 52 qt cooler like forum member "Torsion" has (find his thread,it should be on this page). It is a smallish cooler that I plan on storing a small stock for aging. After receiving the cooler and putting 3 boxes in it so far it is holding humidity and temperature like a champ with 1 pound of 65% beads. The beauty of this cooler is it is a large step up from the Treasure Dome but is not a 120 qt monstrosity some members have. At $55 dollars it is really the best choice out there in my opinion. Due to it being a cooler it is rugged and insulated to resist temperature extremes. I was fortunate not to have to get rid of plastic smell as it had none to speak of so it was really set and forget it.

Good luck, Chris

I had one, then two then....five coolers up and running before I jumped off the pier and ordered my Staebell. Can't beat a cooler for cheap, darn near perfect cigar storage.

One trick I used to do was to use bubble wrap to take up unused space in your storage container....while you have unused storage. Gives the humidification device less volume to work with, you'll get faster recoveries from opening the container, more consistent storage conditions in general.