Food Poisoning/Norovirus/Virus toxins

Fosgate

I eat out quit a bit and one thing I have notice is an increase of food poisoning, clamps, etc occurring everywhere from dives to really nice eating establishments. A while back three of us went to a hibachi and we all ate different things but i had seafood which was cooked right along side of the others. Within 30 minutes of leaving and arriving home all three of us were were taking up the three bathrooms in the house with two return trips each. I was upset as it was obvious to the cause. While we did not vomit or get sick in that way, Bacteria was probably dead but the toxins they produce were still there and cause us all to empty our stomach contents for the day out the back as if we no longer have gall bladders. I have curved it after a friend pointed out to try and stay away from pork, chicken and white sauces when dining in public. I've discussed these increased occurrences with people who had similar experiences and many take the same side that they are not that upset and look at it like a good colon cleanse? I think it's an absurd reality that this happens and people seem to accept it.

How would you approach this? How would you go about trying to stop it? Would you notify the establishment or would you simply call the health department? Have you noticed an increase of this where you live?

I've had very good luck in the U.S. and Europe with food; never had a sick day and never did anything to avoid getting sick. I've had a couple of terrible bouts of food poisoning though, one in Mexico and one in Vietnam, over 30 years, so the odds are pretty good from my experience.

If I got sick from a U.S restaurant, I would most definitely call the establishment. If I was the business owner I'd want to know, and it is terribly easy for food prep workers and suppliers to slip up.

I don't buy the nonsensical argument that it's all a good "colon cleanse." :P When some of these infectious strains invade your gut they can seriously rearrange the bacterial hierarchy. Here's a very good website and project associated with the research and understanding of intestinal flora and fauna: it's much more complex and evolutionary than one normally presumes:

http://humanfoodproject.com

I've had horrible luck in Europe. Got horrible food poisoning in Paris as well as London. In Paris, I believe the culprit was eggs from a hotel buffet and in London it was from ordering cod at a pub on a Sunday. There's absolutely nothing worse than food poisoning seriously. I've eaten a lot of weird things and the most benign looking things have gotten me sick lol. Always be wary of fish specials at a restaurant or specials on a Sunday...they are a special for a reason (about to spoil or already spoiled). Also, avoid any food in a hotel buffet that's heated.

I eat a lot of raw and undercooked food, shellfish, fish, tar tar, and knock on wood have never had a bout of food poisoning. Then again I eat in more than out. I trust my sense of smell when it comes to foods that I'm wary about. And its a huge shnoz. lol

If there is one place I wouldn't trust it's a habachi restaurant, I've been twice, the food wasn't any good. Second, any buffet. So, I second those.

We've had a bit of a problem with imported food here in Aus. So far we've had about 19 confirmed people contracting Hep A from contaminated frozen berries imported from China in the last month.

Yesterday, it was reported in Sydney, 4 people contracted Scomboid fish poisoning from contaminated Thai canned tuna. Unfortunately, you couldn't tell the tuna was contaminated from smell, taste or appearance.

Worst food poisoning was three days on my back and butt from a McDonalds hamburger. Have had a few situations with bad dim sum from NYC Chinatown but have been luck in my travels to Mexico, Canada, Europe, and Asia so far.

Wilkey

Since reading "Kitchen Confidential" a couple of years ago, I'm very particular about where and when I eat out and what I will eat where:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Anthony-Bourdain-ebook/dp/B002UM5BXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425007527&sr=1-1&keywords=anthony+bourdain

That said I would probably contact the establishment and the health department.