Papa New Guinea Volcano Explosion

Watch this full screed with the quality cranked up. Pretty cool to watch and listen as you don't normally see volcanoes crack like this. Notice the size of the rock it chucks out and the splashes near the shore line. Just think how big Krakatoa must have been when she exploded like this but destroyed virtually the 2/3 of the island and was heard 3000 miles away.

• Like 2

visited the mount st helens site about 25 years ago. one of the most extraordinary things i've ever seen. the power of it. logs 400 metres up slopes. and driving all through there, there were huge patches of dead earth, burnt trees, devastation but also big areas of green trees untouched - almost as though drawn by rulers. was simply where mountains had protected areas from the blast and others where they did not. never forget it.

Very cool. thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of where my wife and I honeymooned, back in June 2006, at Stonefield Estate Villas Resort in St. Lucia. Right close to the Piton mountains, and close to where a 3rd piton "was", now a semi-dormant open-caldera sulpher pool. We got the chance to do a horseback riding tour there, and go right to the caldera, where locals still die and get burnt from jumping across open pits and boiling their eggs in the sulpher pools (takes 5 seconds for hard boiled). It was amazing to turn around, back to the mountain, and face the valley below, looking out toward the Caribbean Sea and the town of Soufriere down the valley line - you could tell where the landslide and devastating blast went from a similar explosion that took the lid off that volcano some 200 years before.

Mother Nature is definitely awe inspiring sometimes. Makes a big guy like this one feel pretty damned small and insignificant.

one of the most amazing things i've experienced was a few years back in africa. there was a small hut just under the lip (on the outside, of course) of the nyiragongo volcano. guides would take you to the top, carrying massive loads. a fantastic day hiking up the mountain. you could visit the lip both at sunset and sunrise and spend the night there, even though it is a very active volcano. just happily bubbling away when i was there.

it has subsequently blown at least once, destroying much of the surrounding counhtry (and no doubt the hut).

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/nyiragongo.html