Iwan Ries- Chicago

I live in Chicago so I have the pleasure of heading down there quite a few times a year. It's one of the few ways I get to enjoy my stash during the winter months. I've thought about getting a membership, but I'm not quite to that point just yet. It's usually a very friendly crowd in there and in the evenings it gets pretty busy. Great place.

My favorite spot in Chicago. I always bring Richard, the guy that runs the place a special Cuban and there are a few regulars there that I join and we make a circle around a table.

The owner of Iwan Ries is a nice enough fellow but he is very busy and the kind of guy you really need to know before he will talk to you

For you history buffs:

The Jewelers Building at 15-17 Wabash Avenue between East Monroe and East Madison Streets in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States was built in 1881-1882 and was designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan. It is the only example of the early work of Adler & Sullivan that survives in the Loop. It is also known as the Iwan Reis Building, and the "Little" Jewelers Building to distinguish fram the larger structure at 35 East Wacker Drive, which was built in 1925-27.

The building is a common loft building in construction and plan, but its facade departs dramatically from others of its type. An open exterior, using cast iron mullions rather than masonry piers in the central bay, and Sullivan's stylized floral ornament provide distinction.[2]

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 7, 1974, and was designated a Chicago Landmark on December 18, 1981.[1][2] It is located in Chicago's Jewelers Row District.

Wikipedia

• Like 1

I was in Chicago on Friday for business and I wanted to check this place out more than anything. Of course it didn't happen because of scheduling, but I really want to hit this place up at some point.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great place. I have plans to one day take my bride to Chicago for a

shopping weekend as a birthday present. Is this place anywhere near the "Miracle Mile"? Somehow, by the looks of the neighborhood, I doubt it.

It is South of the Mag Mile on Wabash Ave. It is a short cab ride to Iwan Ries & worth the trip. If you can't make it to the store they will deliver cigars to your hotel. The neighborhood is not bad & they have an excellent selection of NC cigars. I highly recommend a visit if you are in the city as well.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great place. I have plans to one day take my bride to Chicago for a

shopping weekend as a birthday present. Is this place anywhere near the "Miracle Mile"? Somehow, by the looks of the neighborhood, I doubt it.

It's no more than a 5 minute cab ride of a 15 minute walk from the sound end of the Mile. If you're public transportation savvy it's a short train ride as well.

For all of you thinking about planning a trip there next time you're in town, hit me up. Always looking for a reason to head down.

I've ordered from their catalog a few times & a great company. Lots of specialty cigars that it's a tad difficult to find elsewhere, and very nice folks thumbsup.gif

This is a great shop to patronize. They have an excellent selection of pipe tobaccos and a large selection of great NC. It's too bad you gave it the old CC cold shoulder and didn't take a minute to browse. I can always find a great cigar in the shop.

Great shop, especially in the winter time when smoking outside can be a brutal adventure. I was listening to talk news on the radio when they interviewed the owner yesterday. They were posing questions about possibly lifting the embargo with Cuba and how it would impact cigar prices. He said there would be a spike initially but once the "hype" died down people would see the myth of Cuban cigars is no longer what people expect and that the primer cigar makers and their families all left Cuba years ago. He went on to state many non-Cuban cigar makers are superior to those in Cuba. It's interesting to see his perspective on the issue.

They were posing questions about possibly lifting the embargo with Cuba and how it would impact cigar prices. He said there would be a spike initially but once the "hype" died down people would see the myth of Cuban cigars is no longer what people expect and that the primer cigar makers and their families all left Cuba years ago. He went on to state many non-Cuban cigar makers are superior to those in Cuba. It's interesting to see his perspective on the issue.

As a person having access to NC and CC in equal amount with NC being generally cheaper, I find his statement ignorant and/or full of propoganda. NC marketing, via a certain magazine, is huge. I've been smoking 2:1 NC to CC in 2014 and IMO had more construction and inconsistent taste issues with NC than CC.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the US market formally opens up to CC. Just the quantity of CC required to stock US B&M alone will be huge. Regardless of any spike I think it will still be cheaper than Canada due to significantly less taxes.

Iwan Ries is a great place to relax and enjoy a cigar or two. Afterwards there is a nice bar/restaurant across the street that is attached to the Palmer House Hilton, great selection of beer and a good place to unwin, grab some food, and even watch a game.

Been there a couple times on trips. Loved the place. Fookite is from there and we had a cigar together. Was a great time.

I am into pipes as well and if you are this is a great shop. They have a huge variety of pipe tobacco and smart staff. They have a lot more pipes than I could have counted but I was not in the market for a pipe so I did not browse them much.

If you wish to patronize them some and purchase an NC to try, they have the full Curivari line. A medium NC with nice subtle notes and not a lot of nic. The white label is my favorite. They have Davidoff cigars and those are quite good. Their price is very fair on all of these.

A throwback to a time when one can enjoy a cigar in comfort, without ridicule in the company of other BOTL. This kind of joint is a fast dying breed to be savored while the nanny state, for now, looks the other way. Patronize these great establishments, while you can.

• Like 1