The Smoke Police !@*!#!

The Ontario government here in Canada has finally managed to legislate smoking to clandesine meetings in back alleys. As of the new year the last bastion of public smoking will be banned. Bar patios will no longer be allowed to have thier patrons smoke. Not only that they are also applying no-smoking laws to vapour cigarettes also even though there is no evidence of second hand health effects? And my city has banned smoking in city parks, to protect the children. So downtown where there is a small mostly paved park, everone who smokes now uses the sidewalk. God knows kids don't walk on the sidewalk.

It is simply pandering to the masses who don't smoke. They claim it is to protect non smoker rights which is bull! They could liscence bars and patios for smokers only, but they would be too profitable. That would destroy their claim that smoking laws don't hurt bar owners. Which is crap! Its reached the point where places with less political freedom have more personal freedom, and it isn't supposed to be that way!

Regards,

Doug

• Like 3

People should take to the streets. No really. I can see not smoking in your car with kids in there and I can see keeping it outdoors. But every bar I go to the fullest spot is the smoking section.

Governments need to have a degree of fear of the people they govern. It keeps them in check. Now I'm not talking militant actions here, but it's time we stood up for our personal freedoms.

No one else will.

• Like 2

Our rumored next step is no smoking downtown anywhere. Also most non-federal parks would be off limits. Patios and B&M went years ago. Enforcement is an issue since the ticket people cannot force you to provide your name. My little city (300,000+) is already too crowded for me. I work from home most of the time so I am considering a more rural setting away from the car exhaust which is far more damaging than the 15% of smokers left in my province. The rules still apply but there are less people to remind you they do.

• Like 2

Its this protectionist government crap that really burns my ass about how they will decide for you BS.

All great points listed above, car exhaust, soda pop, fast food, addictive prescription drugs.. The list goes on and on... Why are they not banned? I just hope to god they dont try to take our firearms because then you will really see the slope get slippery fast.

I worked with an american a few years back when BC tried to pull the HST fiasco and he was amazed we didnt all take to the streets with pitchforks and torches. Anyways, his joke about it was; How do you get 100 canadians out of a pool on a hot day?.... You tell them to.

Maybe we canadians are push-overs

Maybe we canadians are push-overs

Aussies have been through it.

The strategy is the same. Divide and Conquer.

You slowly strip away rights. You marginalise....you then go in for the kill.

It started here in the 80's. It took them 30 years to achieve it but it was well orchestrated.

They are now simply mopping up the resistance. It is difficult for them to do so but they still have some tricks up their sleeve.

As far as they are concerned they are nearing the end game of a complete ban. 20-30 years? They have time on their side.

• Like 3

Funny thing is up mid Vancouver Island it is so relaxed. Nobody really gets their panties bunched. Most people would tell yah to go piss up a rope if you complained anyway. Got so used to lighting up and hanging on a bench in a park by the beach. I forget what its like everywhere else. But things will change I know it's just a matter of time. The amount of taxes they force upon us you would think the gov would be encouraging it and filling the coffers to the brim. They did it with alcohol and gas.

Ottawa was the first city in Canada to ban smoking in all public parks, public beaches, and patios a few years ago so you have my sympathy. It sucks, luckily there are a handful of parks on Federal land they cannot touch in my area. Frankly the people of Ontario deserve it for constantly electing the EXACT SAME F'N PARTY year after year. They nail us with additional taxes, scandal after scandal, wasted money, missing money, mismanaged money ... as I am sure anyone living in the province of Ontario knows we could go on and on all day about how this party has screwed us over for well over a decade now and yet the IDIOTS in this province continue to elect the same party over and over again. Yes, please raise my taxes and start more social programs even though we cannot pay for the ones currently in place. I blame the fools who vote for these jack asses every election.

• Like 2

So here's where we're headed in MB:

Currently - no smoking in public buildings or within 8 metres of entrance

Not even in tobaconist unless free standing building, or grandfathered in prior to 2002 (ie one shop in town)

On the books and will likely pass in the legislature:

A ban on sale of flavored tobacco products. (Interesting that one - where does aromatic pipe tobacco fall then)

Talked about:

A ban on smoking in multi unit dwellings (ie all condos and apartments). (Good luck enforcing that is Manitoba Housing Development Cooperative units.)

Liking this so far?????

It's thirty below outside for %$#@ sake.

You evil smokers you !!!

• Like 2

We need to do a sidewalk herf in protest.

This ^. We all complain about it, but none of us does anything about it. We need something along the lines of this.

Dundas Square Pot Rally. Hundreds of people gathered to smoke an "illegal" substance, without fear of arrest.

Until then, we're a silent minority.

• Like 1

Start telling these nanny state people to go sit in their garage with all doors closed, with their car motor running for one hour. You will do the same thing in your garage without the car running, but enjoy an hour long cigar. Let's see who walks out.

It's amazing. You walk down the street in New York and inhale enough car exhaust to do no telling how much damage, yet hard to find a place to smoke a cigar due to silly laws.

Tuff/John

I was discussing this with my family today and my uncle said you have to vote but I disagree 100%. The problem is we keep voting for new laws which should never even come up. All that happened was they put a bull law up for voting and there were more stupid voters than smart ones as usual. What they don't realize is that today you voted not to allow people to smoke but it will bite everyone in their ass. Tomorrow they might vote to ban drinking, then dancing and on and on until dumb voters take away everyone's freedoms.

A lot of states in the U.S. are headed that way,so far Vegas realizes that's why people come here to do the things they cant do else where! Also formed Cigar Rights of America to try and stop crazy legislation!

This ^. We all complain about it, but none of us does anything about it. We need something along the lines of this.

Dundas Square Pot Rally. Hundreds of people gathered to smoke an "illegal" substance, without fear of arrest.

Here in Ottawa we do the same thing on April 20th at 4:20pm only we do it right on Parliament hill! I myself have no issues with bringing a chair and parking my butt on Parliament hill to burn a nice CC .... when the weather warms back up.

Then lets do something. There the seed is planted.

Same thing with anything the liberals think is against the "public good" and to hell with individual rights...tobacco, firearms, now various kinds of food or drink. Example is Bloomberg in NYC banning certain oils in restaurants, smoking in any park, (tried but failed) large sized soft drinks, and of course absolutely no firearms.

Of course people involved in politics want to leave their mark to be able to claim their accomplishments. People anymore look at those who mind their own business as someone hiding something that they want to force their control on them. Many people think, "What do I care it doesn't affect me?" attitude. But eventually something does affect them and there is not enough to support the people coming after you. They campaign anti smoking and gain a lot of support by using cost on healthcare, children etc. Many agree with it yet how many are obese and not realize they are next?